R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default first time RC owner ( XXX-S RTR II)

Hello R/C Tech Forums,
my name is David i just bought this Team Losi XXX-S RTR II off a buddy of mine and have been in complete awe with it since i got it. He has told me it has great potential and lots of upgrades available but i discovered its discontinued so its kind of hard to find certain details on things like what upgrades are available and from where. I still have the original box and manual so that'll definitely help with the tuning but im lost on where to find upgrades. Theres a local RC shop thatll definitely be of some help. I went there to get the main drive belt and some body pins and they were very helpful and also told me this car is very good.

Anyways, my question is what are the options for upgrading and where are they available?? Can u still get bodys and wheels? Any thanks would be awesome. I plan on really getting into this forum now and reading as many threads, old or new, as possible.

i have a pic of the car but since im a junior member it wont let me post the url to it.. so in the future ill post a pic of the car.

thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.
DAprojectTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stormer Hobbies still has some stuff.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0

Ebay is another great source.

Also there are several older threads about the XXX-S you should check out.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

thank you that site seems to have alot of replacement parts..

my only concern is, it seemed to be for the XXX-S coupe. do those parts interchange with the RTRII??

and i am in the process of searching threads on here and on the losi forums.

anybody have this car also?? and what do you think of it??
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

The rtr is just a xxx-s with electronics all of the parts are the same. There isn't a specific coupe chassis as far as I know, maybe a coupe body but otherwise the same.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK. The coupe you are referring to, is it the red, yellow & white body? That is just the body shell that came with the RTRII. You can put most 190mm or 200mm body on your 'car'. When people talk, they refer to chassis, yours is a XXX-S RTR or Stock means plastic not graphite chassis. The XXX-S is still ran in USVTA both on carpet & asphalt. The nice thing about the XXX-S was the sealed belt, this prevents small debris from getting into the gears. Protective but a bit intense when changing the belt.

Depending on what you plan on doing with it, it's a decent car. I always found the turnbuckets really stiff to adjust but once set the car is stable.

Here's the original thread for the XXX-S

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...osi-xxx-s.html

That will keep you busy for awhile
Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

i dont plan on getting competitive, just have fun around the block and learn to tune it to my driving style.. its the sedan (white/orange/red). im just trying to upgrade it as much as possible for reasonable amounts. mostly for self use and what not..

thanks for the thread link. the buddy i got it off of is an R/C expert so alot of it i can turn to him for guidance but i do like to learn as much as possible myself so i can become proficient. i plan on buying a newer car in the 650 range in the next 6-8 months and maybe competing depending on how well i handle this car but its mostly just an extra hobby away from working on cars n stuff like that..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

thanks alot C&B RC for that link to stormer hobbies. it saved my life lol. my local hobby shop sold me the wrong belt. wasted alot of time trying to put the wrong belt on and then realized to check my manuals part number list and see if they matched sure enough they didnt.. now i got the right belt coming and two new bearings that needed replacing.

Anyways what battery do you guys recommend for lasting 30-40 minutes. im not a big fan of the 5 minute runs. ive been looking just dont find any.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

The X is still a great car, I race mine almost every weekend.

Don't worry too much about "hop ups".... most of that is just blingy red stuff and you're not really "improving" the car, per-say.... Just drive it and get your skills built up. Go buy yourself some ride height and droop blocks, some camber gauges and maybe set up wheels, and start learning set up. Beyond that, well longer run times are going to come from better batteries, lipo with a high capacity. For novice class, It is one of the easiest cars to wheel and it can be set up to run faster laps. This weekend I did a few things with my set up and my fastest lap was within 4 tenths of the hot lap of the evening in that class.... that is against a much newer car and battery/motor set up... so basically I feel that the car can still hang if you keep it well set up and in good shape. The plastic chassis like you have is heavier but outdoors that little bit of flex ain't a bad thing.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote