R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Futab MegaTech 3PK

Hi, Time to save money to replace my EX1 Mars to new Futaba radio. It is called Futab MegaTech 3PK pcm 1024 radio.
Want to know what is the advantage of using PCM radio? Thanks
smash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:11 PM   #2

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Futaba has a new radio? Actually there really aren't any noticable advantages. It probably won't glitch as much, but I have never had that problem with my M8. When buying a radio, as long as the choices are PCM and FM, most people don't worry about which. I would save the money and spend it on something else. The EX-1 Mars is a good radio.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Yes, Futaba is coming out new radio and it will be release in Japan during Aug and Sep in USA. It has graphic LCD, Six colors LCD, High response.... My EX1 Mars is good for normal hand. But my hand is big so is better to use Futaba. Also, I know EX1 is coming out new model very soon!
Old 06-25-2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Futab MegaTech 3PK

Quote:
Originally posted by smash123
Want to know what is the advantage of using PCM radio? Thanks
PCM radios are supposedly more glitch resistant, but they really aren't, they just handle interference differently than AM or FM radios. When an AM or FM radio gets interference, you controls behave in an erratic, random way. When a PCM radio encounters interference, the controls either hold at the last known "good" position, or go to a pre-set "failsafe" position. Most folks set their failsafe position for full brakes to prevent a runaway. I suppose it looks good, but imagine you get some interference near the end of the straightaway and your car goes to full brakes. I've seen it happen, the result was two destroyed cars instead of one. Still, the damage from a runaway might have been worse, so it's really up to the buyer which is the preferable scenario.

The disadvantage to PCM radios is that there is a bit of delay in the encoding of the signal compared to AM and FM radios, and another bit of delay when the receiver decodes and checks the incoming signal for errors before it allows the servos to respond. The delay is pretty small, but I can definitely tell the difference on the track and I won't race with PCM radios because of it.

Trips
Old 06-25-2002, 04:43 AM   #5
Tech Regular

smash123: Any info posted on this radio?? I am in the market for another radio.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:55 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trips: Thanks, I think that's why the new Futaba has something new call High Response on their new system. But still FM is enough for my need.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:58 AM   #7
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Yes, Trips has effectively summed it up PCM in a nutshell. Another thing to bear in mind with PCM is that if you have someone running the same PCM freq you will still glitch like hell. Also with FM you may have a minor glitch and continue on, with PCM your car may simply shut down!

I use to use a PCM for gas but for electric I stick with FM. One advantage of PCM TX is that they have both FM and PCM (just depends on the reciever you use and the mode on the TX)....so I guess you at least get a choice!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

are there added features to the 3PK, aside from the usual 3PJ stuff (such as abs, traction control, throttle acceleration, etc.)? im thinking of selling my old 3PJ to get one of these when it hits our lhs in a few weeks. BTW, anyone have a link to the 3PK specs?
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote