R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak Edge vs LRP SXX Comp/TC V2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/602918-novak-edge-vs-lrp-sxx-comp-tc-v2.html)

J-PaP 02-25-2012 09:18 PM

Novak Edge vs LRP SXX Comp/TC V2

Hi just wondering which esc would be best for blinky between:

Novak Edge
LRP SXX V2 TC Spec
LRP SXX V2 Comp

I know that they are all meant to be the same but at the same time heard the SXX can provide much better power delivery. Is there much truth to that? I know they are totally different price range but if the sxx is indeed different it may be worth the cost.

98tahoeboy 02-25-2012 10:02 PM

There is lot of truth with the sxx being faster. I own all 3 and have to say in stock the stock spec v2 is plenty in blinky 17.5. That's what I currently run and have to say I am very fast with it. Blue at the moment is better.

maleaco 02-26-2012 12:46 AM

Do you want speed or acceleration https://secure.asdfhacks.com/monster/35/j/confused.gif

J-PaP 02-26-2012 02:47 AM

It is going into a f104 with a 21.5 so I would say speed is more important. I do ideallly want it to be fairly smooth in acceleration though.

NovakTwo 02-26-2012 06:59 AM

Our Edge 2S has a street price of 99.99--the SXX is 225.00! Our Edge 2S is a nifty little spec-only Sport controller.

The Novak racing esc you want for blinky is either our new (spec-only) GTB2-X or our new Havoc Pro SC with X-Drive (with on-board timing adj,). Both of these are super low on-resistance, racing escs more comparable with the SXX performance in blinky mode.

Originally Posted by J-PaP (Post 10382925)
Hi just wondering which esc would be best for blinky between:

Novak Edge
LRP SXX V2 TC Spec
LRP SXX V2 Comp

I know that they are all meant to be the same but at the same time heard the SXX can provide much better power delivery. Is there much truth to that? I know they are totally different price range but if the sxx is indeed different it may be worth the cost.

JamesL_71 02-26-2012 07:23 AM

Totally different price ranges and markets... Sort of hard to compare.

What class will you be running?

Im very partial to the LRP speedos. I have driven the Tekin(w/ the 212 firmware), the Viper VTX10, Novak GTB2, and all the versions of the LRP V2 lineup. I have yet to find a speedo that has as smooth a throttle feel as the LRPs. While that may not be a make-or-break-it type of deal in the slower non-timing classes, I still find that linearity of the throttle gives me more control over the car.

Without having seen or driven the new Tekin software, I would recommend any of the LRP V2s with the 4.4 firmware to anyone... especially those running blinky 12th scale.

NPETRO 02-26-2012 07:41 AM

I currently have a GTB2 (X-Drive) in my touring car and it is plenty fast....you can also set it up for how much rip (faster accel.) you want out of a turn. I ran a SXX V2 Stock Spec. and it has blinky mode, but in order for it to work you must have the punch set to zero, which is dog slow in the infield.

NovakTwo 02-26-2012 07:42 AM

Our new GTB2 with X-Drive is a new esc---new hardware and firmware with a major performance improvements over our earlier GTB versions. For spec-only racing, the GTB2-X, LP version, is a high performance, affordable option.

KnR-Racing 02-26-2012 07:46 AM

You can't beat the Edge for the price. I run one in 17.5 spec truck on the rug with 1s and it is plenty competitive. $99 vs over $200, call me cheap if you want but the Edge works for me!!

J-PaP 02-26-2012 07:52 AM

double post

J-PaP 02-26-2012 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by JamesL_71 (Post 10384117)
Totally different price ranges and markets... Sort of hard to compare.

What class will you be running?

Im very partial to the LRP speedos. I have driven the Tekin(w/ the 212 firmware), the Viper VTX10, Novak GTB2, and all the versions of the LRP V2 lineup. I have yet to find a speedo that has as smooth a throttle feel as the LRPs. While that may not be a make-or-break-it type of deal in the slower non-timing classes, I still find that linearity of the throttle gives me more control over the car.

Without having seen or driven the new Tekin software, I would recommend any of the LRP V2s with the 4.4 firmware to anyone... especially those running blinky 12th scale.

I will be running F1 21.5 blinky. I think having a smooth linear throttle would definitely be important for that class.

Sounds like the novak havoc/gtb2 and the sxx both offer what I need.

Thanks for the information all. Fairly much gives me the answer needed.

EskimoGangsta 02-26-2012 09:32 AM

i found that to be fast with lrp i had a lot of motor heat
and with novak i lacked punch that the lrp and tekin has.
and with tekin just not as smooth. but v222 is very nice. but i havn't tested v222 in blinky. but its very smooth in boosted and i imagine it'd be smoother blinky.

but for the price i'd choose novak.

and just to throw opinions out there, hobbywing?

uatemycookie 03-04-2012 10:40 PM

Im using the Edge ESC with the ballistic 17.5 in touring stock... I like it however to be honest i have not compared it to anything else as im very new to the rc world. I bought the set thinking it has great value to get started and that I would upgrade as I got into the racing scene more. Now that im looking to purchase something else Im not so sure they are "better" in blinky.

What are some things we should be looking at when choosing an ESC for stock racing?

No boost is no boost right?

Is the Edge really that much slower than say LRP or even a higher priced Novak?

Jochim_18 03-04-2012 11:28 PM

Get the Noval GTB2 W/ X-drive very smooth in power and has a lot of punch and your motor will Run a lot cooler...

J-PaP 03-04-2012 11:55 PM

Apparently while all blinky esc's should be the same the higher end ones provide smoother power delivery. They should still make the same rpm either way though.