R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Pro 4 vs. SSG

whats better the pro 4 or the ssg? The guy at the hobby store said he has both and that the ssg is the best shaft car out there.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i havent driven either. but i have friends that have those cars. but i think teh mr4tc c sd ssg kiks so much more as$ then teh pro 4. i ve seen my friends race, and the ssg hands down wins all the time. because of that im buying a mr4tc sd black.
crzydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Tech Master

I'm just asking becuase i'm planning to buy a pro 4, but since the ssg is about the same price I was wondering what's better.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Tech Master

I don't know about you but I don't see much of Yokomo winning the big races.
Its usually the TRF or the Pro 4 taking things right know.
However that is because of the drivers.
I have a pro 4 and love it. I drove my friends Yoke and was great also.
They are both great cars.
The only plus one has over the over is that the Yoke is easier to set up and has the diffs which are way easy to get too.
You have to gut the pro 4 to get to the diffs.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

tru dat. its ur choice really. but doesnt teh ssg chassis look prety bad as% . hhaha,
Old 01-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Tech Master

LOL
Yeah, that Silver chassis looks sweet!
The worlds edition looks sweeter.
How bout plunking down 5 bills for that!
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #7

don't know where your racing or if its pavement or carpet, but i like the yok cgm version better then the ssg version. but both cars (the pro 4 and ssg/cgm) are great cars. there are different things that i like about both cars. i.e. yok diffs a snap to get to. pro4 - the center chassis stiffener. (is that a word). i'm sure you will be happy with either.

and to be up front, i have had the ssg, now have the cgm and worlds car.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
Tech Regular

by any chance did u upgrade ur ssg to a cgm?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #9
Tech Champion

pro4 is stronger car out of the box, seldom break after several hits. take at look at suspension arms is awesome design.

ssg needs graphite hop up such as suspension arms, bulkhead, c-hubs and few more in order to be strong car. cgm version comes with all graphite but many complain it's weight.

performance ? no doubt ssg, and more over lot's of people in this forum driving it so you can talk from A to Z.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
PMR
Tech Apprentice

I happen to own, used and compared them head to head. I would say, the most suitable for my driving style would be the Pro4.

With Pro4 you don't need lots of hop ups since everything is in the box. Pro4 is more durable with its beefy arms tougher diff gears. And most of all, the Pro4 has tons of steering.

But if you were to go with the yoke I would definetly suggest you get the CGM. Tons of steering compared to the SD and the Rayspeed version chassis.

Hope this helps.
PMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have owned both cars and I believe the their is good and bad to both cars

Yokomo is a great car, the only problem is tech support with this car is hard to find, and most of the yokomo team driver are using a lot of after market parts, like Rayspeed, Ymp, etc. If you decide to get the yok dont get the CGM, It weighs more than a ton of bricks, and none of the team drivers use it.

Hpi pro 4 is good as well, the biggest complaint is it requires a lot of attention out on the track, the car is all over the place, and hard to control, If you tap the pipes with it plan on replacing your diff gears, because they chip very easy. With the right set-up and patience this is a very good car.

Get the YOKOMO, after all Masami drives them, and he is the best RC driver in the World.
kylehirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kylehirano
If you decide to get the yok dont get the CGM, It weighs more than a ton of bricks, and none of the team drivers use it.

I'm a team driver and I run the CGM, as do other team drivers that I know. Yes, the CGM is a bit heavier but it also doesn't tweek in a wreck and is stiffer than the other versions of the car.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
pro4 is stronger car out of the box, seldom break after several hits. take at look at suspension arms is awesome design.

ssg needs graphite hop up such as suspension arms, bulkhead, c-hubs and few more in order to be strong car. cgm version comes with all graphite but many complain it's weight.

performance ? no doubt ssg, and more over lot's of people in this forum driving it so you can talk from A to Z.
Billy Easton was in the top 10 at the worlds with a box stock SSG, I mean box stock, no graphite. When the SSG came out it was a little weak in the front, but upgrades as simple as a wider bumper and thicker C hubs have fixed that problem.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #14
Tech Master

I pitted next to Billy at the ROAR on-road nationals in Portland, and he said he liked the SSG over the CGM, Its to bad Billy no longer runs for yokomo, he was very nice and helpfull to me.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #15
Tech Master

The cgm is a great car, I run the Black Special, I like it a lot. I wanted to say thanks to Matt Howard for all the information he gives out on the Yokomo forum. You have helped me out a lot with the yokomo cars.