R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2002, 09:38 AM   #61
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by picco007
.....................and I just bought a Pro Trak, everyone talks about it and I can't wait for the thing to get here.
You'll like the Protrak.....even if some of the results of your packs may 'shock' you...ie. one of your cells in the pack going -ve on discharge to 5.4v!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 06:19 PM   #62
Tech Addict

DTM

I just got my Pro-trak & as you said the results do sometimes shock. According to the unit my, almost new Orion 3000HV's have a pack match of about 90%, and a 'power' rating of 95%. One of the packs failed to discharge as one of the cells went to zero volts. Is this normal?

Maybe it's better not to get all this info, you start to worry that your cells aren't up to scratch.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 10:39 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default Pro-Trak

Yeah dtm,

I can't wait for the charger to get here. I have been wanting this thing for a couple of years and I put it off many times because of either a long wait or I didn't have the money. I made a few phone calls and some emails were made also and it will be here by mid next week. I'll need some help with it...........
picco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 05:28 AM   #64
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
DTM

I just got my Pro-trak & as you said the results do sometimes shock. According to the unit my, almost new Orion 3000HV's have a pack match of about 90%, and a 'power' rating of 95%. One of the packs failed to discharge as one of the cells went to zero volts. Is this normal?

Maybe it's better not to get all this info, you start to worry that your cells aren't up to scratch.
errr....yes it most probably IS true! Thats your shock!!

At first I didn't believe the readings so I used a voltmeter to check the voltage drops close to the cutoff points and this confirmed the results!!

One cell going -ve on discharge is NOT normal (but true) what you have is a weaker cell in the pack. The cell is not bad (maybe) but it is mismatched from the rest of the cells! Overtime this cell will be the first to die!

Sometimes no news is GOOD news!!

BTW don't take the figures as the 'actual' individual performance of the cell to rematch a pack. The Protrak only reads the 'relative' performance of each cell when performing as one pack! For matching you need to cycle each cell individually.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:15 AM   #65
Tech Elite

John - 3000's won't give a power rating above the high 90's, so you're OK there.

My pack matches are all in the mid-90's as well.

But the discharge cutting off from a 0v cell is bad - what were you set to?

I go to 0.90v per cell, and make sure I'm set to a 6-cell pack - I think the Pro-trak defaults to 1.00v per cell.

You could even go to 0.85v per cell to imitate the Orion matching figures.

You may want to consider equalizing the cells - just the once - however I'm not a fan of doing it with the 3000's - when i equalised the old packs, the capacity numbers did go up - BUT the cells lost all their voltage soon afterwards - don't know if it was coincidence or cause, but I'm not in a hurry to equalise my HV's.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:37 AM   #66
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Pro-Trak

Quote:
Originally posted by picco007
Yeah dtm,

I can't wait for the charger to get here. I have been wanting this thing for a couple of years and I put it off many times because of either a long wait or I didn't have the money. I made a few phone calls and some emails were made also and it will be here by mid next week. I'll need some help with it...........
Instructions are not the clearest thing in the world, but after reading it twice and playing with it you'll get the hang of it!!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:39 AM   #67
dtm
Tech Champion

Yes HVs are generally lower- mid 90s. SMH fare a litlle better, I normally get 100 from my unmatched packs. Even managed to see 108 when they were new!
Old 07-14-2002, 08:05 PM   #68
Tech Addict

Wink

Some friends of mine bought CS Spacechargers in the past month.
All three got the newest version of the "Basic" unit.
It now has the charge status LED that the "PRO" model has, the units now make a beep when the charge has ended.
I think CS took some of the suggestions that magazine reviews had made, on board.
Good on them.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 01:19 AM   #69
Tech Master

what are the main differences between Mill ver 2 and Mill Pro?
Can the Mill ver 2 do NiMh?
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 01:23 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

Quote:
Originally posted by hurhur
what are the main differences between Mill ver 2 and Mill Pro?
Can the Mill ver 2 do NiMh?
yes it can...
it has a bulit-in pit wizard for u to do settings on the novak esc such as t2 n tc2 and atom...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:20 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

hurhur, yes the millPRO can charge NiMh's better than the regular mill. It charges NiCads the same as the original Mill. Novak says the pro uses a highly accurate algorithim for NiMh's batteries so they will be fully charged while not being overcharged. THIS IS A GOOD CHARGER TO GET.

Last edited by webspinner; 07-17-2002 at 03:45 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:33 PM   #72
Tech Rookie

What chargers work best for NiMh???

On the battery spec sheet it metions a few...
  • Tekin 112A, 112C
  • Novak Millennium
  • CE Turbo 30 and 35
  • Victor Hi-IQ (All Models)

I have only found prices for
the Millennium... Does anyone know where to get prices?
Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:08 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
John - 3000's won't give a power rating above the high 90's, so you're OK there.
Thanks Sosidge, that's a relief! I've cycled them all again & I didn't get the 0 volt cut-off and the power ratings were all about 95 - 97 mark.

My cells are made up with Deans connectors & about a 4" length of wire, and I'm using an adapter made from a deans plug with 2 corally conectors soldered to it for charging.

I know the manual says not to do this, how much would you expect this to affect the results?
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:53 AM   #74
Tech Elite

I can't put an exact figure on it (no surprise there), but the charger is calibrated using the standard fitted wires - the extra cabling is going to increase resistance at certain points, which will impact on the numbers you get when you use the individual cell monitoring leads - the actual ability to charge packs as a whole won't be affected though.

It is possible to recalibrate the charger, so in theory you could set it up with your adaptors, and calibrate it using a multimeter - rather you than me though!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default dtm....Pro Trak

dtm,

I received the charger yesterday and I love it. I was having some problems with a certain 3000 pack, it kept false peaking and I would try to run the pack and it would just dump in a few seconds. So I tried the pro trak and found out with the pack test that battery number 1 was bad. I found it in a matter of seconds. The one thing I can't get used to is the cycle feature. First It goes to peak detect or temp detect. Then set cycles, then it has delay B4 P/dis (I don't understand what that means), Then the next screen is part discharge( I don't understand what that means either) then the next screen is delay B4 repeak (I think I know what that means but I thought we should not repeak 3000's. then the next screen is Repeak Current. Then the next screen is Delay Discharge, then cell type, charge type and then it ask D/charge first, yes or no. Then the next screen is the peak voltage detect which I set at .02. Can you tell me how you use the cycle feature or can any one tell me what those things that I don't understand above mean? I would apprceicate it..

Ron
picco007 is offline   Reply With Quote