World GT - WGT - 200mm Pan Spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
It is supposed to look like this:

http://www.astonmartin.com/racing/series/le-mans-series

And while I agree it doesn't quite make the mark...if you consider the rear wing being blended into the body and take into account the rear pod and front suspension getting in the way of more true body lines...then they could really only get marginally closer in scale appearance. I really miss having the wing as a separate piece from the body.
That's a stretch at the very least to say it's close

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Well now I never really said they were close But you gotta admit the basic design of pan car suspension does complicate scale bodies. Tamiya gets a lot closer obviously but even theirs has some compromise due to the suspension or other chassis aspects. But this on the other hand would be pretty easy to make for a pan car

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gal..._itemId=452918
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well now I never really said they were close But you gotta admit the basic design of pan car suspension does complicate scale bodies. Tamiya gets a lot closer obviously but even theirs has some compromise due to the suspension or other chassis aspects. But this on the other hand would be pretty easy to make for a pan car

Oh yeah!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

but you could also say that for a number of cars:

Old 05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

This is what WGT was meant to be
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chris_blakey
Actually you couldn't...cars in other classes have a much bigger variance in wheelbase, width, and height...in DTP they all have to be the same. Which is why cars like the one you posted come out funny looking when reproduced as a pan car which was originally designed to be close in scale to a Can Am or GTP car. While DTP cars are all within a certain spec in height, width and wheelbase no matter what brand they are.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Tech Adept

Actually you couldn't...cars in other classes have a much bigger variance in wheelbase, width, and height...in DTP they all have to be the same. Which is why cars like the one you posted come out funny looking when reproduced as a pan car which was originally designed to be close in scale to a Can Am or GTP car. While DTP cars are all within a certain spec in height, width and wheelbase no matter what brand they are.
The name says it all though, Daytona Prototypes....not gt cars.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
This is what WGT was meant to be
For those "realistic" bodyshells you just have the TT-01, TA06... and so one..

If you like "realistic" category you should use also rubber tires and WGT pancars are not designed for that, as you say they should be..

WGT pancars are based in performance for the real rc experience , not in cars with "realistic" bodyshells with 21.5 motors and rubbers...
Old 05-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the Ferrari!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After Tamiya came out with the F103GT and the Courage body I thought "That's a nice looking car, current-what's racing in real life right now, pan car-should become popular." Then when the ALMS made the Courage into the LMPC class (same body-spec class) I thought for sure this would take off, since now every RC racer in this class would have to run the same body. Pffft! So much for that. Where are they now?

As someone wrote earlier, scale enthusiasts will continue to play in front of their houses withtheir HPI bodied cars, and the RC racers will be spending their Sundays racing cars with what look like overturned hot tubs for bodies.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When you actually color the headlights in as they are supposed to be on the AMR12... I think Protoform did a pretty damn good job of making it resemble the real thing. The front end, cockpit, and sides are quite accurate. Obviously the rear side wings and back end are not, but the real Aston Martin uses an actual wing as opposed to just an air dam, etc.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, Imagine somebody trying to produce this body for RC racing, It is
beautiful but not practical for the RC chassis available. One can only hope.
Regards
Norman2
Attached Thumbnails World GT - WGT - 200mm Pan Spec-audi-r18-le-mans-car.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, This is the closest scale body I have been able to find of a Le Mans
body for a Pan Car. Toyota GT-one TS020 by Tamiya. Regards
Norman
Attached Thumbnails World GT - WGT - 200mm Pan Spec-img_0001.jpg   World GT - WGT - 200mm Pan Spec-img_0003.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

The name says it all though, Daytona Prototypes....not gt cars.
As much as I like the class...I never thought it should be GT cars...there is enough GT cars running on TC chassis already.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

All those cars would look very nice sitting on a TC platform. It seems 190mm or 200mm TC is better proportioned to look good with scale looking bodies.

However, WGT pan cars aren't proportioned the same way. Its kinda like comparing the Corvette ZR-1 street spec car to the Corvette C6R. The proportions are completely different if you put them side by side.

I have both the Protoform Sophia and the HPI 200mm Alfa 8C. The HPI body looks more scale but the Sophia, which BTW also looks good if painted and decaled right, fits the pan chassis better. Performance wise I like the Sophia better because its more lower in profile than the HPI body. But thats probably why its called a Sophia(other than licencing issues) because it isn't proportioned to look exactly like an 8C.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.