Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ta03 setup. help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ta03 setup. help please

Hi im fearly new to the rc car thing but iv got a tamiya ta03 its the tub chassis (grey) nothing special atm tho. Iv got a hpi sc-15 speed control and a hpi 20turn motor and some old recever and crappy servo. Its completaly stock setup. My plan is to make it onto a drift beast. I wud like to run lipo and brushless but before i do enything i wud like some input from you guys. So eny ideas wud be appreciated. I have trinity rear hubs sat waiting to go on it. But need new suspention and the arms as thay have a huge ammount of play in them.

Im after ideas for the motor, speed control and reciver (wud like digital) and gearing ideas for it to help it drift.

Thanks daniel
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sure you could get it to drift with the motor and ESC you already have.

Making a drift car is more about the tyres and the drivetrain than the power or the details of the setup. Compared to a grip car, you want some drift tyres (obviously) and you basically run the rear axle locked with either a diff or one-way up front. That should get you started.

There's loads of transmitter/receiver combos out there, personally I have always used Futaba.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Iv herd lots of ways of locking the rear diff whats the one that wud favour a newbie. Iv never taken a diff apart on a rc car (iv worked on alot of real cars and had the diffs apart on them and also locked a few) so not shure whats the best way.

As for the futaba stuff iv herd its rather good but a little expencive. Im gunna have alook around and see what i find.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know enough about option parts for TA03s. Perhaps someone makes a locked diff (spool), that would be easiest. Other ways of doing it are to fill the gears with blu tack, or if it is a ball diff you can remove the balls and put sandpaper on the rings instead.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is your 03 and f or an r? if its and f what you want to do is put a slightly harder spring in the front and a little softer in the rear, lock the rear diff and put anti-wear grease in the front diff, if its an r chassis than just reverse the springs around (front soft, rear hard) then just practice