R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Chiming in a lil late but...I've been running the Tekin RS with the TQ booster for awhile now and it is a great combination! It is the smallest of the choices and Tekin has great support. The next up in size that does not need a booster or RX pack would be either the LRP or the Viper...can't remember which but they are both very close. After that comes the Hobbywing which is fairly large. I've been tempted to try the Viper as I really like their layout and the way they do their programming.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The servo isn't a low-profile, its a mini servo, the Savox 1251 WILL NOT FIT. I would not recommend a servo under $80, as cheaper servos don't center well and tend to wander on the straights. I have two JR 3650 metal gear servos in my 1/12 cars and they have been as reliable and predictable as gravity, but Airtronics, Futaba, and others make very good servos. Just remember, you get what you pay for.
So what's wrong with the Futaba S9650, it's under $80 ($55) and the best fit on an AE RC12R5 chassis (AE drilled the chassis for this one). The one I'm using in my RC12R5.2 has seen four years of racing and is still going strong. I also use one in my RC10R5 WGT without a hitch for the past three seasons.

That is the servo that about 80% of the racers use at the tracks I go to.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Regional Moderator

Nothing is wrong with the Futaba 9650 (or the brushless BLS651). They work great, in both 1/12 and WGT. The 9650 can be had for around $60, while the BLS651 is about $120.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
So what's wrong with the Futaba S9650, it's under $80 ($55) and the best fit on an AE RC12R5 chassis (AE drilled the chassis for this one). The one I'm using in my RC12R5.2 has seen four years of racing and is still going strong. I also use one in my RC10R5 WGT without a hitch for the past three seasons.

That is the servo that about 80% of the racers use at the tracks I go to.
Agreed, I have this in my DB12RR and its a great servo. Nice, quick, reliable.

Out of curiosity, why no love for the Novak combos? I have a havoc and so far its been pretty nice, plus its available with a low-profile heatsink.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post

Out of curiosity, why no love for the Novak combos? I have a havoc and so far its been pretty nice, plus its available with a low-profile heatsink.
Solder tabs are a huge pain in the ass on Novak? I don't actually mind Novak speedos, although a lot of people complain about the throttle feel malarkey or whatever else they can come up with. The only thing I truly dislike are the horrible solder tabs.
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post

I think Novak is just "out of vogue" with on road racers right now. I run Novak motors and speed controls and like them a lot. The latest Havok SC Pro with X Drive is very smooth and fast; the programming is done on-board and has a lot of adjustments available. For non-ramping (blinky) the Novak Edge speed control works great. It has a smaller footprint and lower profile than either Tekin; and has a ton of on-board programming available. To run either esc on 1s you must turn off the lipo cut off on the esc

That's funny about the solder tabs, it's one of the things I like about Novak motors
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's nothing wrong with that Futaba piece, I was just trying to make the point that if you buy the cheapest mini servo on the wall you will probably regret it.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The main thing is that the Futaba S9650 centers perfectly on teh AE RC12 chassis. Great for a newbie and since that is what the OP has it would be the most logical to use.

I've seen too many botched jobs drilling chassis to fit other servos or using shoe-goo or servo tape. Eventually they cause problems. Best servo for that chassis is the 9650.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I definitely appreciate the help with the servo info as well. I have an opportunity to grab an LRP SXX StockSpec Version 2 used for a little more than a brand new Hobbywing 1s. Would it be worth it just in case i want to run 1/10 scale? Also, what is the difference between the StockSpec Version 2 and the SXX TC spec Version 2? I know the TC is for Touring Car but are these good to put in 1/12 scales or should i just stick to the StockSpec?

Last edited by esckalayd; 02-22-2012 at 06:42 PM.
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Or should i try to grab the SXX Competition Version 2? The picture on LRPs website has it in a 1/12th scale
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
I definitely appreciate the help with the servo info as well. I have an opportunity to grab an LRP SXX StockSpec Version 2 used for a little more than a brand new Hobbywing 1s. Would it be worth it just in case i want to run 1/10 scale? Also, what is the difference between the StockSpec Version 2 and the SXX TC spec Version 2? I know the TC is for Touring Car but are these good to put in 1/12 scales or should i just stick to the StockSpec?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
Or should i try to grab the SXX Competition Version 2? The picture on LRPs website has it in a 1/12th scale
The LRP Stock Spec is a great esc for 12th. Blinky, mod, or boosted
All 3 of the LRP v2 esc are setup to run 1s, without a booster.

Nice thing about the LRP, as opposed to the others, is that you don't need a pc to program it.
With 2 buttons, you can do everything, so simple !

TC Spec & SXXComp are the same internals, the only difference is the heatsink on the TC Spec. Blinky, or mod is what these are designed for.
Stock Spec has the capability for boosting high wind spec motors 10.5 - 21.5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default ....psuedo stealth hijack....

I'm gonna lurk here and soak up all this good info. I just purchased racer_x_1's TOP REBEL and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival now.

Now, I'm very poor so LRP and Tekin are out. I see that Novak has the Edge 1s and Kinetic 1s which seem decent but also a little up there.. (yes, $230 is up there for me! Lol) But now I see that Novak has a 1s Club spec 13.5T kit out for $130 and it seems very compact and strictly "blinky" (a term I am slowly figuring out). Any thoughts on this one?
iVTEC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #28
Tech Champion

As long as you are running blinky classes it should be fine
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Storm_Racer

I have the 5.1 also and I use the Hobbywing 1S ESC, 4.5T Speed Passion and a Savox Digital mini servo powered by a Reedy 1S 6500 lipo.
The Reedy lipo's I find are perfect for the 5.1 and highly recommend them, and as for the ESC that Hobbywing 1S is a really good speedy but highly recommend a program box with it if you don't have a laptop, the hobbywing software is very good also, and I think you will find with the 1S hobbywing speedy if you want to put it in a TC later like what you were saying then it is capable of running your typical 7.4 volt 2S lipo packs in a TC, it just can't take over 3S from memory but I also run this hobbywing ESC in my TC with great results, the 1S speedy will come with a heatsink and fan you can put on top of the speedy to cool it down for the Tc's as in most cases the heatsink won't fit in a 1/12, as it is the top of my shell just miss's my speedy without heatsink
VBC Wildfire D05, Hot Bodies Cyclone #67700 + Hara Edition #66400, 1988 AYK - 1/12, Team Associated RC12 R5.1, Tamiya Neo scorcher + Stadium Blitzer + Lunchbox + Super Hornet (original)
Storm_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVTEC4LIFE View Post
I'm gonna lurk here and soak up all this good info. I just purchased racer_x_1's TOP REBEL and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival now.

Now, I'm very poor so LRP and Tekin are out. I see that Novak has the Edge 1s and Kinetic 1s which seem decent but also a little up there.. (yes, $230 is up there for me! Lol) But now I see that Novak has a 1s Club spec 13.5T kit out for $130 and it seems very compact and strictly "blinky" (a term I am slowly figuring out). Any thoughts on this one?
Check out the 12th scale info link in my sig, there is a lot to learn from there.

Also, I've picked up on quite a few deals in the for sale section here at RCT.
You can have the high end esc you want, for the same $$ as the bargain stuff.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote