R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Love how you call him MR. Fairtrace.
I demand respect.
__________________
Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - RocheUSA - MonTech - Sanwa - BSR Racing Tires - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #32
Tech Elite
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Now, if you want to talk boosted 17.5 12th scale, I have had my best luck with the Tekin ESC (non pro) and the Novak Ballistic 17.5. The Novak ran the coolest of all the ones I have tried (and I have a bunch of 17.5 BL motors). Silky can tell you that my boosted 17.5 wasn't that much slower than 13.5 the last time he saw me run my car.
Novak ballistic for sure is a very good motor for non-ramping... Everytime I tried a different motor and it's not working for me I'll throw in my ballistic and it's all good. I'm trying the new GTB2 w/ X-drive with ballistic 17.5 combo so far bench test sounds promising let's see how it performs on the track.
__________________
Localrcracing.com - Your premiere source of Radio controlled Racing in central California.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 640
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
Novak ballistic for sure is a very good motor for non-ramping... Everytime I tried a different motor and it's not working for me I'll throw in my ballistic and it's all good. I'm trying the new GTB2 w/ X-drive with ballistic 17.5 combo so far bench test sounds promising let's see how it performs on the track.
Let us know how the GTB x drive does. I am shopping around for new blinker esc.
MC112b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #34
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC112b View Post
Let us know how the GTB x drive does. I am shopping around for new blinker esc.
A racer at my local carpet track is using a RevTech 17.5 with a Novak Edge and is right on the heels of the "fast guy" that thinks his is the shiznit. The "fast guy" is ticked because he has the latest/greatest in chassis, bodies, batteries, tires, motors, and ESC; spends countless hours practicing every week and is being seriously challenged by a guy that works long hours with little practice time, has store-bought batteries, tires, motors, and a cheap ESC. The main thing I see is pairing the right motor to ESC, make sure your chassis is not tweaked and set up properly, and choose the right tires for track traction (too much tire traction is not a good thing).
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,368
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I demand respect.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #36
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
A racer at my local carpet track is using a RevTech 17.5 with a Novak Edge and is right on the heels of the "fast guy" that thinks his is the shiznit. The "fast guy" is ticked because he has the latest/greatest in chassis, bodies, batteries, tires, motors, and ESC; spends countless hours practicing every week and is being seriously challenged by a guy that works long hours with little practice time, has store-bought batteries, tires, motors, and a cheap ESC. The main thing I see is pairing the right motor to ESC, make sure your chassis is not tweaked and set up properly, and choose the right tires for track traction (too much tire traction is not a good thing).
Those are pretty strong comments man.... and not necessarily very discrete either, for anyone that knows the track.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #37
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Those are pretty strong comments man.... and not necessarily very discrete either, for anyone that knows the track.
Just telling a story and letting folks know that you don't necessarily have to have all the "latest/greatest" stuff to be competitive. Sometimes, it is the luck of the draw, sometimes it is just "lightning in a bottle", and sometimes it is what it is. Sorry that you seem to be a little offended but I am telling what I have observed.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #38
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Just telling a story and letting folks know that you don't necessarily have to have all the "latest/greatest" stuff to be competitive. Sometimes, it is the luck of the draw, sometimes it is just "lightning in a bottle", and sometimes it is what it is. Sorry that you seem to be a little offended but I am telling what I have observed.
So true.
Driving, setup and luck.

Also, having a big can of Woopa$$ can help too. LOL!!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #39
Tech Elite
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Sure thing I'll keep you guys posted how's the new GTB2 w/ X-drive performs on the track against LRP, Tekin and VTX ESC.... I have been running LRP ver. 2 stock spec on blinky but due to lack of profile option you can't do much with the LRP ESC... What got me to get GTB2 is their is a lot of profile option without timing ..... Bench test was really promising damn motor screams when u give it a throttle input sounds like it's boosted hhhmmmm ..... I can't do that with my tekin and LRP on blinky mode...
__________________
Localrcracing.com - Your premiere source of Radio controlled Racing in central California.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 640
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
Sure thing I'll keep you guys posted how's the new GTB2 w/ X-drive performs on the track against LRP, Tekin and VTX ESC.... I have been running LRP ver. 2 stock spec on blinky but due to lack of profile option you can't do much with the LRP ESC... What got me to get GTB2 is their is a lot of profile option without timing ..... Bench test was really promising damn motor screams when u give it a throttle input sounds like it's boosted hhhmmmm ..... I can't do that with my tekin and LRP on blinky mode...
Any reports on the GTB2 in actual race conditions?
MC112b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Ok guys just finish racing today GTB2 with X-drive is spot on against LRP, VTX, tekin on 17.5 blinky... GTB2 is very smooth on throttle and definitely got the top end and punch off the corner.... Now I just need a new motor. I got out motored today everyone is running Revtech or reedy sonic... I got the Speedcontrol setup on profile 10 on drive parameters and motor Novak ballistic at full timing, FDR 3.5... What I also notice the motor runs cool without fade considering I was geared to the moon motor temp after 6 minutes is only at 120 degree like wow.... So I'm going to strap in a DOU 3 next race and play more with gearing...

I mainly focus on MOD racing so 17.5 I just kinda play with it.. But I'm going to gear up next race for 17.5 blinky and just prove a point what a real Sportmans ESC can do
__________________
Localrcracing.com - Your premiere source of Radio controlled Racing in central California.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #42
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
Ok guys just finish racing today GTB2 with X-drive is spot on against LRP, VTX, tekin on 17.5 blinky... GTB2 is very smooth on throttle and definitely got the top end and punch off the corner.... Now I just need a new motor. I got out motored today everyone is running Revtech or reedy sonic... I got the Speedcontrol setup on profile 10 on drive parameters and motor Novak ballistic at full timing, FDR 3.5... What I also notice the motor runs cool without fade considering I was geared to the moon motor temp after 6 minutes is only at 120 degree like wow.... So I'm going to strap in a DOU 3 next race and play more with gearing...

I mainly focus on MOD racing so 17.5 I just kinda play with it.. But I'm going to gear up next race for 17.5 blinky and just prove a point what a real Sportmans ESC can do
Do you think the GTB2 with x-drive will work with 12th scale in spec/blinky mod?
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #43
Tech Master
 
Maxxican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura, SoCal
Posts: 1,998
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

any one know if the RevTech 17.5 and the Fantom Apex 17.5 are the same they sure looks identical???
__________________
Carlos F.
RoadRunnersRC.com

RC AMERICA || XRAY || HUDY|| ACTIVRC || HOBBYWING NA || PROTOFORM
Maxxican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #44
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxican View Post
any one know if the RevTech 17.5 and the Fantom Apex 17.5 are the same they sure looks identical???
Si
They are the same.
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #45
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,567
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxican View Post
any one know if the RevTech 17.5 and the Fantom Apex 17.5 are the same they sure looks identical???
Biggest difference will be the fact that for a few dollars extra, Fantom will dyno test the motor and put the numbers on the motor can for you. Biggest benefit with going thru Fantom comes when you want rotor strength tested. Rotors out of the factory have a tolerance range to be considered high rpm,broad band, or high torque. If for say in a 12.5 high torque version rotor you wanted the rotor be super high torque, you can ask Jeff at Fantom to sent you one that's on the higher side of torque numbers. However, if you buy thru regular sales chain its pot-luck on where your rotor strength falls inside the manufacturer's allowed tolerances.
****not sponsored by Fantom*****
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change hairy Electric On-Road 741 05-31-2011 06:03 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net