R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default What are most popular on road classes?

Im new to rc racing in general but have been racing 1/8 electric off road for about 6 monthes. I wanting to buy and on road electric car but dont really know where to start. I was considering 1/10 TC but didnt know how popular it was. What are the most popular classes for indoor, and outdoor asphalt on road racing?
TDI793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Do some searching for VTA. From what I see it's the most popular class right now, fun and not really high-dollar compared to some other classes.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI793 View Post
Im new to rc racing in general but have been racing 1/8 electric off road for about 6 monthes. I wanting to buy and on road electric car but dont really know where to start. I was considering 1/10 TC but didnt know how popular it was. What are the most popular classes for indoor, and outdoor asphalt on road racing?

Last edited by OVA; 02-18-2012 at 08:27 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
Do some searching for VTA. From what I see it's the most popular class right now, fun and not really high-dollar compared to some other classes.
+100
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Just did a little research on the VTA, look pretty cool. Also gives you the option to change the motor and ESC and run a mod TC since its a TC chassis.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

VTA is awesome but you still need to go to your local track to find out what classes they run before you buy something you can't run.
SC5M(x2), B5M, SC10.2, FT SC10, FT TC5, FT TC4, 12R5, AE Rival MT, RC10 Classic, RC10 Worlds, CW Pro Comp Outlaw, F104 pro v2, RJ Speed Legend, Traxxas Slash(x2), 4x4 Slash VXL, Vendetta ST, Axial SCX10, Yeti, Smt10, G-Made/AX10, Tamiya Super Clodbuster
pettyeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
VTA is awesome but you still need to go to your local track to find out what classes they run before you buy something you can't run.
That's true!!
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At our track it is

VTA
12th
F1
TC blinky

Not sure that VTA is what you would call cheaper by any means , well at our track at least. It started out with good intentions on keeping it cheap but i called it by telling people that the person (with comparable driving skills to others) with the latest car IS going to have an advantage over a much cheaper car. Now everyone has or is getting top of the line Touring Cars because the top 3 guys run them. So how is running VTA with a $500 plus chassis less than running a TCnow?
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalaker View Post
At our track it is

VTA
12th
F1
TC blinky

Not sure that VTA is what you would call cheaper by any means , well at our track at least. It started out with good intentions on keeping it cheap but i called it by telling people that the person (with comparable driving skills to others) with the latest car IS going to have an advantage over a much cheaper car. Now everyone has or is getting top of the line Touring Cars because the top 3 guys run them. So how is running VTA with a $500 plus chassis less than running a TCnow?
Because you can STILL be competitive in VTA with a lesser car. Sure, a well set up car is going to help you drive better, but VTA is largely about the driver rather than the car.

Most of the guys at our tracks are running older Xrays (several T207's and 08's), some OFNA JL10-Es, Associated TC4s/TC5s, etc...

You can buy most of those chassis used on here for 120-150 bucks as a roller, sometimes even with VTA tires and wheels.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to EskimoGangsta Send a message via MSN to EskimoGangsta Send a message via Skype™ to EskimoGangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
Because you can STILL be competitive in VTA with a lesser car. Sure, a well set up car is going to help you drive better, but VTA is largely about the driver rather than the car.

Most of the guys at our tracks are running older Xrays (several T207's and 08's), some OFNA JL10-Es, Associated TC4s/TC5s, etc...

You can buy most of those chassis used on here for 120-150 bucks as a roller, sometimes even with VTA tires and wheels.
im thinking of selling my corally rdx setup for vta with tires and all the electronics including spektrum radio and lipo for 400-500. just thinking though and not for a while. but it seems to be an average price for fully loaded cars around here.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

VTA is a total blast, highly recommended. 12th scale is always popular, and fairly inexpensive.
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
Tech Master

What is popular depends on where you are. In my area 1/12 is one of the least popular classes. Lucky if 5 guys show up. Many days they don't have enough guys to race.

VTA is a good class to start with if it's popular in your area. There have been several new racers in my area that recently bought a Sakura Zero S to race in VTA. They're doing alright with them too. It can let you get into it on a fairly tight budget. There are a few guys of course that use top of the line everything. Heck, I've seen Tamiya M-chassis cars that have more money sunk into them than my xray T3'12.

When you get into faster TC classes, the budget cars start to show their deficiencies more, in terms of durability and handling.

Around my area, there are more racers in total that race VTA, but many only come out once in a while. 17.5 Boosted TC usually has the most racers on any given race day around here. This is just indoor in the winter though. In the summer around here, we race 13.5 boosted or sometimes open mod TC and 21.5 blinky TC and just in the summer they call the classes GT1 and GT2 for some reason . Most of the clubs don't race VTA in the summer. I'm not sure why.

Check your local tracks for what everyone races around you before you buy a car and it's usually a good idea to pick a chassis that is widely used in your area and supported by local hobby shops. Local parts and setup support is important, especially if you are a new racer.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
What is popular depends on where you are.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Thanks far l the replies and great advice! Looks like Vta is very popular here in Georgia so I'll be going in that direction. Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoGangsta View Post
im thinking of selling my corally rdx setup for vta with tires and all the electronics including spektrum radio and lipo for 400-500. just thinking though and not for a while. but it seems to be an average price for fully loaded cars around here.
I'll sell my Corally RDX with two chassis (Phi proto), VTA wheels/tires, spool, one-way, front diff, parts galore, Camaro body and more for only $100 plus shipping.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote