R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting a little more competitive

Hey guys, recently some of us offroaders started buying onroad for the winter. We have been racing in an empty bay using metal studs for barriers.
Most of the guys are running XXX-S's with Novak 5800's. I am currently running an RS4 Rally also with the 5800. I am in the market for something new, but I like to be a non comfomist.
One advantage of getting a XXX-S is part availability, someone in the club should have whatever I need. But is that enough reason to buy one?
I have been looking into the Pro 4, the design really intrigues me, but I am not sure how hard it would be to get parts.
I know most of the associated stuff for the TC3 and 4 are available in nearby cities.
Which car has a reputation for being the most durable?
Again we are just a bunch of hacks running around, so it is not like we are at pro level by any means but you know how competition gets between a group of guys. We are mostly just having fun. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
NinjaViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Getting a little more competitive

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaViper
Hey guys, recently some of us offroaders started buying onroad for the winter. We have been racing in an empty bay using metal studs for barriers.
Most of the guys are running XXX-S's with Novak 5800's. I am currently running an RS4 Rally also with the 5800. I am in the market for something new, but I like to be a non comfomist.
One advantage of getting a XXX-S is part availability, someone in the club should have whatever I need. But is that enough reason to buy one?
I have been looking into the Pro 4, the design really intrigues me, but I am not sure how hard it would be to get parts.
I know most of the associated stuff for the TC3 and 4 are available in nearby cities.
Which car has a reputation for being the most durable?
Again we are just a bunch of hacks running around, so it is not like we are at pro level by any means but you know how competition gets between a group of guys. We are mostly just having fun. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
If you want a a great and competitive tank get a schumacher or an Xray !
Old 01-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hacks you say? Metal barriers?

See if you can find an Xray wtih Pivot ball suspension....harder to set up than C-hub, but TOUGH AS NAILS

ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Yep, metal partitions, lol. Hey it works.

What model of Xray would that be?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Evo2 FOC (Freedom of Choice) gives you the option of running PB or C-Hub...

it's not the latest and greatest of the Xray kits, but it is still an awesome machine.

There are still some out there at shops and on theused market and they can normally be had for a relatively decent price now that the FK is out
Old 01-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The original T1 Xray was pivot ball... plus the Evo2 FOC Xray has the pivot ball parts too. It truly is a tank.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I hate the word TANK though...
it implies heavy.....but it's not...

its durable like a tank..but stilllight and nimble
Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Im not hearing much on the Pro4, should I stay away? What about Associated or Losi. Seems like Xray is the most popular.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Shane Reinink

The pro 4 is a very competitive car and by no means a bad car, but if you are looking for durable the Xray is the way to go because not only is it durable but also in my opinion the great est car ever made to this date.you can order parts for most of the kits mentioned at KT Hobbies, Kraig has the best customer service around and his shipping is lightning fast.
Shane Reinink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Default What about this

You should all buy X-Ray M18s all buy X-ray powerpacks(esc servo motor) all buy cheap identical batterys and chargers.
Put up some padding in key places where the cars may hit the barriers.
Spend your time racing not dinking with your cars. Keep the races fun and the winners determined by luck and driving not how much money someone wants to sink into their car.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yes...stay away from the Pro 4. I sold mine after a month for two reasons:

1) Got sick of having to scrounge for parts. The parts situation has gotten better since then, but not much better. Parts are pretty spendy, too...arms come in f/r sets ( ), so it's $10 for a front arm or $10 for a pair of c-hubs (ridiculous)

2) It doesn't seem to take a hit very well.

(a)I stripped lots of bevel gears -- and they don't just lose one tooth...and they're a pain to change compared to other shaft cars.

(b) They tweak VERY badly with a hard hit. Supposedly some people have come up with a bunch of mods to help this somewhat. Smack a barrier and you find yourself trying to adjust steering trim during the race...not good.

If you don't hit anything, it's an awesome car. It was a nightmare for me.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

oh yea. i started with a rs4 rally. which i still love. and moved to xray. as they are similar with twinbelt and stuff, getting used to the settings and stuff should be easy. and the rally, xray both VERY durable. dunno which is more durable. anyways. id say go for the xray lol
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Well I have given this some hard thought but you guys have convinced me to go Xray so I ordered a T1R kit on Friday. I should be getting it this week. I know this is not the model you guys suggested but I can get parts quite easily.
The guy I talked to said that once I look at this kit I won't look back to either the XXX-S or TC4.
I wouldn't mind hearing what you guys think about the T1R and if you have any tips during assembly or have a suggestion for something that should be upgraded right off the bat.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I was just wondering about running saddlepacks with the T1R. most of my batteries are in stick configuration and I don't relish the idea of resoldering all my batteries. What are my battery options?