R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review

Hey guys , first post in the international forums as im from Oz but hello to all fellow RC enthusiests

Last week i received my Traxxas from Towers and first thoughts out of the box were PURE WOOOOOWWWWWWWWW but after a bit of bumming around with it up and down the court , that turned to " wonder how much ill get for it on ebay "

Today though was the first real day ive had a full on play with it so heres my final thoughts .

WARNING THIS IS A LONG THREAD LOL :

The registering process to unlock the 100pmh is sooooo terrible that youll really sit back and think , " Stuff this , i seriously cant be bothered , its allready fast enough "

1: turn on remote attach iphone - Yout TX needs system update

2: try to install system update fails ( finally get it downloading after 20 mins )

3: Enter unlock 100mph tab - MUST Sit through a 5 minute video of this car doing laps

4: Unlock 100mph - you have to register email address , last 4 numbers of drivers licence (ok fair enough)

5: unlock varificatiopn goes to your email , click it and then says on pc screen unlock varified click unlock factory on iphone

6: click unlock and says on screen congratulations car is unlocked for 100mph ( SWEET )

7: Turn on car , iphone tells me new software for the receiver needs to be installed so must install

8: Install software , turn off car and tx , turn both back on again cars limited to 50mph again

9: go to unlock from settings and iphone says you must register to unlock 100pmh mode

10: go back through all the frikkin crap again of email , dl , varification

11: Varification your car is now unlocked

Long story short is that after an hour and a half , the frikkin thing is still doing exactly same speed on both settings no change and i purely CBF going on with it for now and am going to go take a long jog and calm down with this cheap TX and have another go when im a bit more relaxed on the weekend or something .. FRUSTRATING

SO as of owning it 5 hours :

TX = MASSIVE FAIL
Traxxas registration system = MASSIVE FAI

Day 1

Persisted in the end and got it going so took it to the local court . Gave it a few belts but just noticed it was not stable on handling , when you turn the front inside wheel would lift and shake /wobble and just handle like crap . Felt like it needed about a kilogram of lead in the front to actually steer . In saying this , the whole front end is plain and simply LOOSE , about 4mm of play in the front steering , camber has about 2mm of play and just a nightmare to control untill all that is fixed .

Anyway , back in its box that night and thinking bout ebay .

That night im sitting in the garage looking at this thing in the corner and thinking ," ive got a spare M11 TX in a box here somewhere , might do a transplant and see if i can get the M11 to work in place of the TQi TX . The transmitter it comes with is TERRIBLE , it is cheap ass terrible . Comparable to the Stock Tamyia ones they supply with the RTR . I believe they thought after commiting to that TX that they would add an iphone feature to it and simply slap in on the bottom of the remote ... " yes slap it on the bottom of the remote so no one can see it as their hands will be in the way they said " . Anyway , after 3 long nights i finally got an M11 to FULLY work with the car including the Iphone bit as i stuck that over the LCD display .

Doing this changed my attitude a bot towards the car as i now felt more comfy with the remote as its solid , perfect centre of gravity and i now have the screen in my face not under my fists , i am very M11 biased so others may dissagree ( pix up later of the conversion )

Todays Full on test

Today was the first real day ive had time to spend on this thing so did the full go over in set up , charged batts fully ( replaced everything with deans plugs ) played with some suspension settings and adjusted and off to an open road i go .

Sorry , brought camera but forgot memory card in PC so no video today

The road i had to play with was down near the airport , nice industrial estate length plenty , width about 3 normal roads .

Did about 4 or 5 straight runs , just building up confidence on handling of the car and was getting quicker and quicker each time and working out the speed at which it actually started taking advantage of the downforce and actually became very confident in the car towards the end . Started out doing 40mph runs ( still very quick mind you ) and found that at about this speed is where it was getting sucked into its happy zone .

Anyway , enough piss farting around , it was time to open the throttle so way up the top street i drove it till it was barely a spec and slowly throttled up till i was comfortable in its suck zone and then power on .

all i can really say is and stuff it ill add another

This car is like a formula 1 car where if its not using aero dynamics and in its zone , its useless but once it gets in the zone it just comes to life as did this on these runs .

Being limited in my breaking distance , best i could do was 87mph ( still a solid 140kph ) and it not only looked HORN but it had a sound on it that was undiscribable , ive never heard what it does sound like but it sounded like a plane that was about to go through the sound barrier with a whistle from the motor and just HEARING FULL ON the wind doing its thing over the body . Sounded awesome .

Also to build up to the suck zone , the car is a boat , its all over the road as the front end needs some serious tightening as its as loose as all F*** but once you hit that 40mph the thing just sticks and i mean STICKS to the road , you can give it correction without losing it .

Ok , so now weve done our little runs up the street and thought theres got to be something better to take advantage of steering at speed so with my mate we pretty much said it together as i saw the light bulb over his head light when he saw mine and said " Coburg Veladrome "

We get there , obviously locked so do the old dig under the fence on the other side and set up . throw some new batteries in , put it on track , get a few 50mph "get to know you laps" in and once again , game on . Put the power on and this thing just gripped gripped gripped like a mother F****R . Grip just defied physics in my books as i skated this thing around the banked corners like it was glued to the track , much more stable than the pan cars we take round due to obvious size and weight . On the telemetry , i was taking corners at 86mph and on the straight peaking at 93mph ( i didnt change the spur gear just pinion so imporessed it got to that ) .

All in all VERY VERY IMPRESSED with this car which makes me really happy today as mid week i was so dissapointed in it i was ready to whack it on classifieds just to get some money back and call it a loss .

Few things you need to do something about if you get one :

Front end is really really loose , i mean even the wheels wobble in the uprights a bit , is this designed deliberately as a give point for the speed i dont know but that needs to be fixed i believe

Steering train , about 4mm of play .... MASSIVE FAIL , once i fix this im confident ill fix the low speed handling

The transmitter ... im not even going there ... DISSASTER , go buy a K Mart toy with the wheel tx and there you have it .. end of story

Unlocking the 100mph online , upgrading software of TX and RX ... FAIL ... it will frustrate you so please allow for that

Body clips ... worst possible positions on the car , front ones you have no choice but to stab the shell as their right on a bump on the front wheel arch so the bonnet lifts right where the clip goes so no choice but scratch . The rear clips are right under the little 1cm gap under the rear wing , if your a kid or a chinese with tiny fingers you MAY be agle to squeeze your fingers in to push them , otherwise bring needle nose pliers and you will need these to put those clips on .

Battery connectors ... Flat spade type .. do not know why companies cannot just go with Deans but i do know people who prefer these so to each their own
remotebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Few pix
Attached Thumbnails
Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-ssc_3507.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-ssc_3506.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-p2142574.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-p2172614.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-ssc_3517.jpg  

Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quick link to the M11 conversion :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbJH...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the interface between the ipod and the transmitter?
I'm guessing you just ripped out the pcb from the traxxas junk tx that connects to the ipod and transplanted it on the back of the m11? That's what your youtube video looks like...

Car is something I'd buy but would regret a few weeks later as I can't see the point of the car outside of some initial jollies...it's a damn nice looking rc car and they did a hell of a job with the engineering but unless there is some place to race these cars together I can't see the point...this is not a car you fart around on in your street...
lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Yep that's right lip, as I said ended up doing the full transplant. There's not much at all in the TQi so fit easily in the m11 but lot of stuffing round swapping the steering and throttle potentiometers and making extensions for cables to get from one side to the other

I'm seeing a few of the rx's on eBay all ready with all sensors so this actually might be the way to go for some future cars. Top speed indicator doesn't bother me too much as you can't se speed as you drive but temp and batt voltage is important to me. Plus it just looks sik

Last edited by remotebandit; 02-18-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice review! The release of this car inspired me to buy a 1/8 on road car just for blasting thru the neighborhood but I didn't go with the traxxas. After reading your review I'm happy I didn't. The unlock sounds like a joke, I would have been going off, ruining the experiance for me. I'm having more fun building my $180 shipped ofna gtp 2e to achieve the 100mph. Right now I'm at 51mph and it seems hella fast, I couldn't imagine the traxxas at 100mph lol! I wonder if you could hit 125mph with some real batteries and more gearing.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Ive actually had the Ofna for quiet a while now . Love it

They are a totally different kettle of fish though to the traxxas .

It all depends on your situation , if your doing track racing then its obvious the ofna is the way to go but if your doing veladromes and speed runs then the traxxas just hugs down into the ground and is another level that the ofna could never compete with ... im in betweeen

Got some side by side comparisons as ive heard allot of people slagging the traxxas saying they can make them go just as fast so heres some physical side by sides ( 1: I saw bugatti on the Ofna so went the bugatti paint scheeme , 2: I love both by the way hehe )
Attached Thumbnails
Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-380829_10150373924796647_648881646_8466136_2104186743_n.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-ssc_3543.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-ssc_3544.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-377267_10150373925211647_648881646_8466138_1214502992_n.jpg   Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-299655_10150374191871647_648881646_8467206_456237117_n.jpg  

Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thought id mention im running the Ofna with the HPI Flux blur ESC and Alphastar Flux motor on 5S and 6S . 6S on a more open tracks and 5S on tighter track and YES ... ITS frikkin fast
Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstall7543 View Post
Nice review! The release of this car inspired me to buy a 1/8 on road car just for blasting thru the neighborhood but I didn't go with the traxxas. After reading your review I'm happy I didn't. The unlock sounds like a joke, I would have been going off, ruining the experiance for me. I'm having more fun building my $180 shipped ofna gtp 2e to achieve the 100mph. Right now I'm at 51mph and it seems hella fast, I couldn't imagine the traxxas at 100mph lol! I wonder if you could hit 125mph with some real batteries and more gearing.
I have been following the XO-1 posts just to see what it is about. like you i have a GTP2e running about 50 MPH on 4s. its a great car that handles like a dream at all speeds. as for the stock traxxas 3s battries. they are real battries. that is one department the traxxas has not ever dissapointed me in. I har 4 of them for my e-revo and their the best battries i ever ean in the erevo. I read somewere that traxxas uses a different rating system to rate the "C" rating. some people have said the the 25c 3s packs perform like 40c packs.

As for the review on the XO it was a great read and enjoyed it. Could you have just put in a airtronocs reciver and went without the telimitry system. Im guessing that with a aftermarket radipo system as long as you set the end points and set the esc with a castle link it would be unlocked to 100+.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

lol , yes i am a bit Anal and want telematry lol ... as i said , not overly concerned with it telling me revs and speed as you roughly know what your doing via lap times but battery voltage and temp is VERY VERY important to me .

Ive actually been considering this for a few months but reviews are terrible :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mp_mAh_V2.html
Attached Thumbnails
Hands on Traxxas XO1 Review-telemeter-4-2-.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to M-chassisMark

I can tell you know what you're doing just based on that clean M11 swap (nice job, by the way) but I do believe the Traxxas connectors are more efficient than the Deans you swapped to.

I was a Deans-only man for as long as I can remember, but the Traxxas connectors are actually pretty nice. I like that I don't need any heat shrink on the wire after I solder them up, and I like that there is a nice, textured, thumb-sized connector to grab onto when I unplug them.

One thing I have been wondering about the XO-1, and maybe you know from trial and error, but can you not simply get full unlock by swapping out the radio and receiver to another brand? Or do the receiver and ESC have to communicate with each other?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Tech Adept

M-chassis . I believe as of right now it's still only allowed through the traxxas radio . Castle and traxxas are supposed to have some kind of update but still might not be able to use swap out another radio and link to it .

Remote - Great first hands on review and awesome work with the radio OMG that looks a beauty . I have thr xo-1 also but snow has hampered the everyday driving of it.
FLoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Thanks for the review.

I bet in a few years, people will be racing these NASCAR style on oval tracks... since that seems about all this car is good for.

You can quote me on that.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade.... View Post
Thanks for the review.

I bet in a few years, people will be racing these NASCAR style on oval tracks... since that seems about all this car is good for.

You can quote me on that.
Haha, I love traxxas, they are a good company
maleaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

M-ChassisMark - Thanx heaps for the compliment on the conversion , i was a tv tech for 15 years so it wasn't the electronics part that was difficult it was the fitting and mounting but all came out good ( I'm spewing i didn't do a video on the conversion as I've had over 60 messages here and on other forums re the conversion all positive ) As far as the deans plugs , I wouldn't argue with you on the ones it came with but unfortunately all my other cars are Deans and lets just say I've got TOOOOOOO MANY cars to change now . With regards to the esc and rx i couldn't tell you , personally i believe a program card on the esc would bypass this issue but havnt experimented on it , i could do over the next few weeks as i could quiet simply set it back to 60mph and compare the esc settings to the 100mph settings

Flojo - Thank you very much for the conversion and review compliments , muchly appreciated .... In fact i was waiting for people to just bag it as useless but its only something you can appreciate when your actually holding the traxxas TX and realise its not comfortable to hold and just bland in general .

Wade - If you could find a massive car park they'd be allot more useful but as far as now goes , id probably agree with you on the nascar scenario but in saying that , MAN WAS IT FRIKKIN FUN lol . Its another form of driving but then again so is drifting / off road / on road / crawling ..... and now Nascaring hahaha

Maleaco - Traxxas have come sooo far from what they were and i reckon the Emaxx was the start of their big break