R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default NOVAK PREMIUM LINE OF MOTORS

Has anyone tried the premium motors with upgraded bearings, vented caps, and red hand wound stators? Thanks

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...pec/index.html

Last edited by haywood; 02-17-2012 at 07:16 PM.
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

I just got one. I plan to do some back to back testing tomorrow.

I'll report back my findings.

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Default 17.5

I have one coming to try out but I will be shocked if it out performs my Revtech!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EskimoGangsta Send a message via MSN to EskimoGangsta Send a message via Skype™ to EskimoGangsta

Interesting.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It will
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
It will
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

All of the performance upgrades in our Premium Ballistic 540 Motors are readily available so that any Ballistic 540 can be easily updated:

Red Wire stators
Vented End Bells
Ceramic Bearings
and
Epoxied RW stators
Samarium Cobalt rotor (12.3mm)
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

I am happy to report I like the motor.

I started with a ballistic 17.5 closed end bells, and a epoxy stator with copper wire and standard rotor. This was a good set up but I was noticing at times my car would go flat with two minuets to go.

I switched to the new motor for the 2nd qualifier. This was a full Novak build with vented end bells and standard red wire stator and standard rotor. Temps were about the same with both motors, 160 +/- some. I only got three full runs on this motor today but it was strong to the end.

Details:
Rubber tire sedan
75 foot back strait to full sweeper. Open flowing track, lap times 9.4-9.8
geared @ 3.8
30 degrees static timing
Novak Edge speed controller

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!

Last edited by Essnowyt; 02-18-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I'd be curious to compare as well, I have a ballistic 17.5 in my tc6, and without a powerful fan, it either wasn't fast enough or I couldn't gear it where I needed to be competitive without getting hot and losing a bit of speed at the end of the run. I can say, these motors typically run better warmer than other motors, but an open endbell may help. In my 1/12 pan car, the motor still ran warmer than most other motors, and I'd assume this was due to the closed end bell, but it was definitely quick. Just can't justify buying ones with all the extra goodies for that price without seeing one in action. Might consider getting the open endbell at some point though if I don't see one around. I really like my novak, but I'd need proof of improvement (I'm guessing there is a decent improvement), and also that the motor is better than other comparable motors, like the revtech's and reedy sonics which I can get at my lhs for up to $20 less.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been testing the RedWire Stators in 17.5 TC spec racing for about 2 months now.

I break down the components and give my findings as follows;

In comparison the RWS to the Epoxied Gold wire stators, the EGWS tend to run similar gearing and timing to the other brands out there. When I say this I mean like the RevTechs, and brands similar to that. Motors like LRP or such I really have no info on. (45* and FDR of 3.7 - 3.8).
The RWS seems to prefer to run about 2 teeth less than your regular run of the mill similar motors. So the RWS see the best overall performance on the dyno set at 41* of timing, this produces the best torque/rpm/efficiency numbers as well as on track performance.
The stators windings themselves tend to look a lot neater and well placed, more in the respect to the old days of the nicer hand wound arms opposed to the machine wound ones.
I think the reasoning behind this wasn't so much to get a performance advantage, but more so to get the tolerances tighter so you don't have to go thru a bunch of product looking for that one good one, where these should all preform the same. Of course this is only one part of the equation and we know that rotor strength is still a big determining factor in a good running motor, but that is a different story. The rotors that I have had, I have been very happy with, and again haven't seen big variances in them, meter or track wise.

The open can design is something that I think really benefits the motor. Be it the epoxied stators or the gws or any of the Ballistic stators, my feelings are that even with the theory of the epoxied stators trapped warm air still need to get out, whether its trapped between the winds, which the epoxied stators eliminate or the more traditional stators, its still better to get the warm air out as fast as possible. Now this is all good for classes that run on cleaner tracks, and I can't comment on off road and if the open concept is good or not. So when running these open cans the motors do sound a little different, but nothing out of the ordinary. The one thing I really like about them is that now when I do take temp readings I will shoot off the endbell and then actually shoot a temp of the stator wire itself, and most times see about a 25 - 30 * difference in the two spots. Although the actual wire reading is far more accurate then a endbell reading.

As far as the bearings go, I really haven't seen any difference between the ceramic over the standards, but then again, a high quality steel ball bearing should work just as good, the only thing is that the ceramic should last longer over the life of the motor.

On track, once the proper gearing is found, the motor has a nice smooth feel to it.

All in all a pretty nice motor.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Tech Elite

good to hear, I look forward to seeing one in action.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
All of the performance upgrades in our Premium Ballistic 540 Motors are readily available so that any Ballistic 540 can be easily updated:

Red Wire stators
Vented End Bells
Ceramic Bearings
and
Epoxied RW stators
Samarium Cobalt rotor (12.3mm)
Are all of the above listed "performance upgrades" ROAR legal?

Im specifically interested in the Epoxied Red Wire stators and the SmCo rotor... Thanks.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Are all of the above listed "performance upgrades" ROAR legal?

Im specifically interested in the Epoxied Red Wire stators and the SmCo rotor... Thanks.
All are ROAR legal excet the SmCo rotors. Those are not allowed by current ROAR rules.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
All are ROAR legal excet the SmCo rotors. Those are not allowed by current ROAR rules.

EA
Thanks Eric... much appreciated.

Does that include the vented endbell?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Thanks Eric... much appreciated.

Does that include the vented endbell?
Actually that I am unsure of. I just read the current rule book on the ROAR website and it doesnt say they are illegal but it doesnt appear its been updated in a while.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote