R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2005, 01:08 AM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
soviet what is wrong with your equipment you could go to 90% of the tracks out there and win. You dont need all that fancy stuff. So what! they are rich. Sit down and take a look at your self and say what is actually making me not be in the top three you might be surprized if you accept the the truth and work on it.
Half the time people over look self discipline to practice and study what they are doing understand what they are doing! Practice if you want to be competitive if not accept it as a hobby and the rich trailor guys shouldnt be a bother!

Yeah...you're right. I simply work and study too much to compete with the "dedicated" types. I suppose I'll have to be happy with being a consistant B-Main champion / A-Main mid-packer.

Now I WISH I had the time to practice like 3 / 4 times a week...but that just isn't gonna happen.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #107
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

dont worry man everything has a time and place to happen.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:16 AM   #108
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyper1
I understand people's unjust opinion on guys that have a lot of high tech stuff but I have been in this hobby for 14-15 years now have have built up quite an arsenal of high tech stuff over the years and that's what people don't understand.they automatically assume that it takes all this stuff to race and I quickly explain that I've been at this for some time now and it doesn't take all this stuff to race.I just like high tech stuff that's all.I don't buy it all at the same time either, a little at a time.
That is the first thing I explain to them. I have been doing this a long time and have acumilated alot of equipment over time.
Occasionally I'll show up to track with bare essentials and show them you dont need them.
I got rid of the 2 turbo chargers I had and big power supply. I traded 2 lrp comp chargers for the turbo chargers and bought a 14 amp power supply from ebay for 19 dollars. I do well here in the florida state series. I am 12 scale champion. You dont need dynos and fancy lap tops to be competitive. You make it as expensive as you want!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 AM   #109
Tech Fanatic

it's all about priorities and I would put studying at the top of my list, long before rc racing,I had to scale back my racing a good bit myself when I was in college but I now have the money to race the way I want to,but it is because I studied at the time.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:25 AM   #110
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Damn, I've never seen so many lame whiners in my life.

You act as if you have a God-given right to this hobby.

Guess what you schmuck? You don't.

This hobby isn't providing you with enough "old school" racers? Oh poor baby!

Long live RTR, Brushless, etc!!
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:33 AM   #111
Tech Fanatic

I hope that wasn't meant for me!
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Why are we Dumbing down our hobby??

Quote:
Originally posted by SammyXp
Anyway, if we make changes in the hobby that reduce the amount of time I spend cutting commutators and buying new parts, then I am all for it. I would rather spend my time focusing on chassis setup and tuning the motor for the right blend of speed and torque.
Very well spoken.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:54 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by u_say_go
Learn to be better ambassadors to the hobby and move people will get involved. Dont look down on people because they didnt build their car, thats ridiculous.
Good point.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by GordonFreeman
And please don't take offense to this, but I think it's part of the core of this thread, the feeling of being "dumbed down".

I think anytime some technology comes along that make something easier for more people, the skilled people who dominated the older "skilled" way of doing things, feel threatened.

Imagine what typewritter repairmen (what's that?) felt like when computers started coming about in the 1980s? I bet they hated computers. But guess what? Computers are better for the majority, they killed off the typewritter repair business though.

Eventually brushless with be just as "tunable" as current Brushed. You'll just do it from your laptop and not have to get your hands dirty. Car tuners probably didn't like F.I. when it came along. "I can't do anything with this!" But now I'll bet you'd have to pry thier laptops from thier cold dead fingers!

It's not dumbing down, it's a technology shift.
Good point.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Default First, what is the definition of dumbing down the hobby?

Aint the main goal to get as many people into the hobby as possible? As several others have pointed out, RTR and brushless will get more into the hobby.

But that dont mean there aint room for the real top notch racers with all the expensive stuff and all the knowledge of tuning motors etc.

I like the below comment.

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
I can drive...I can tune...I simply don't have the TIME or crazy $$$ some do.
To some extend, I feel the same. In some way it's frustrating, to feel I might have the option of beating the local top end guys, but I must face the fact, that I neither have the money, nor the time required. Lathe, dyno and that sort of stuff. Not that I dont want it, I really enjoy experience and explore stuff like that....

So.... I think it's about making your (my) mind up, and find the right level for each person. Actually, that's a real great thing with this hobby, there so many levels.

Finally, last practise night was a great race. At the end of the night, we were just two guys duelling. On the track, we were SO even. It took him 15-20 laps, to gain a half lap and be close to overtake... but he chrashed, and lost that half lap again... When the 5 minutes was gone, we continued until the batteries dumped... We couldnt stop, just constantly fighthing. We ended up even.

That was a real great feeling.

For personal reasons, I havent been much into RC the last year or so. Thus I havent been at many races. But afterwards I founded out that this guy currently is number 2 in one of the greatest tournaments in my country. Proud I was. And so was my HPI Pro2 Especially, since I've put aound 20-30.000 dkr into my RC stuff over 5 years, while he has spend 100.000 plus in 1 year.

The last part might be sligthly off topic, but for those like me, which dont have unlimited time and money budget, it's possible to take it quite far.

I've always dreamed about a class, where things were so even, that it was a matter of skills, not money. But is it possible to implement that in the real world?

And again, I enjoy researching and (maybe) find some stuff, that might give me an advantage
Old 01-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #116
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

RC cars will ALWAYS have a laundry list of tuning options not counting the motor and cells. Shocks, dampening fluid, castor/camber angle, toe in/toe out, droop, ride height, roll centre, I can keep going.... Making these tuning adjustments are very time consuming and if the motor maintenance part of the equation is cut out (brushless) I'm all for that, it gives me more time to focus on the car itself.

As far as 4-cell sedan, that won't improve nothing, all it will do is slow down cars that are designed to handle much faster speeds, cost will still be high.

As far as RTR's go, they are a necessary to grow the hobby. I do think that 8th scale or large monster trucks nitro RTR's are VERY VERY dangerous in a novice's hand and should be limited to people with some experience.

Technology will continue to improve, new classes will form due to technology shifts (like brushless). Nothing on the market "dumb downs the hobby" it just opens up a new angle for fun and competition.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
extremely fast they hold a national there every year for like the past 30 years.
Dont comment unless you know first hand.
Kinda impressive when you see some karts doing 140mph pluss. They have some 300 entries. Go figure boring!

Cypressmidest most of these guys have no idea about what started this hobby.
for them hitting the enter tab requires alot of skill . like turning the speedo and transmitter on!

Guys butch up this isnt grade school where if the bully beat you up, and teacher will get the ball back for you. Get up and get it yourselves learn to do things with out counting on your mommies to make it better. You might feel accomplished if you do it your self.

Flame away so you can feel skillfull.
SpeedXL,

I picked a poor example, as the smaller car and sitting so close to the ground in karts is a rush....my point remains valid about needing a more technical track layout to make up for lack of straight line speed.

As far as the other comments are concerned....enlighten us please as to 'What started this hobby'

I've been involved with the hobby for 20 years off and on with a 10 year break while before getting actively involved again 1.5 years ago.

I understand that chassis setup, suspension tuning, tire prep, electronics, etc are ALL part of the equation.

When I go to the races I know the racers that are at my level, and my goal for that day is to beat THEM. As for thetop drivers I WATCH them, I follow the lines that they run, I watch how they compose themselves onthe stand, I pay attention to how they prep their cars, focussing on the details.

It takes, time, practice and attention to detail to reach that level.

Today's society is FULL of instant-gratification. Nobody wants to wait for anything. Nothing is ever anybody's own fault....there's always a finger to point elsewhere.

Is it right? No....but that's the way things seem to be.

I sure as hell hope your comments weren't directed at me....but if they were...please...show me the comments that inclined you to make such an assinine post.

Since posting this you've gone on to post soe USEFUL and insightful thoughts.

Unfortunately this post that I'm replaying to was, for the most part IMHO, garbage.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #118
Tech Elite

For the record.....

I'm for brushless...and yes I have the gear to maintain my brushed motors.....

As for 4-cell TC....I'm not in favour of it....but if it happens the hobby will evolve...it will force people to focus more on the technical sectionsof the track, the infield instead of wanting tojust blast down that huge long straight....
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #119
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Bro...I'm talking about the local hotshoes with a TRAILER and several dynos / lathes, etc.

Maybe I'm just pissed or jealous, but I'm REALLY sick of the snotty, uber rich types dominating my local track.

I mean...I have the following:

BMI TC3
TC4
Several stock / mod motors
6 sets of good GP3300s
KO Mars
LRP v7.1
Novak GTX
6 sets of TakeOff rubbers, various compounds.
LRP Pulsar charger

etc, etc.

I'm ALWAYS middle A-main. I can NEVER get higher simply because usually the top 3 or four guys simply have DOMINANT gear.

Oh...forget it...I'm whining.

I suppose I'm simply saying that I'd like a good chance of winning every now and then without having to sandbag down to novice / spec classes.

I can drive...I can tune...I simply don't have the TIME or crazy $$$ some do.
Money and your super quipment is not going to get you to the top just like that. I am sure that those guys have put in just as much practice and efffort to deserve to win week in and week out. I am 16 years old and starting working at McDonalds when I was 15 so I could buy my first R/C car. I now work at a grocery store making a little more than minimum wage and do you think that I have super stuff? Nope, I buy used stuff, and "unmatched" batteries and yet I still find myself competitive because of the work I put into my cars. I rebuild them at least once every 2 weeks most of the time once a week before each race day. I have learned this is what it takes to be fast. Cars work better WHEN YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM. You wouldnt drive your full size car your whole life and not change the oil. I just think that brushless systems make for this even more. Now there is one more reason to keep people from correctly preparing their cars, and therefore creating one more excuse as to why their car isnt winning. I do like your idea of rubber tires though. I just hate dropping 20 bucks in a set of foams and chunking it and now my car rolls funny..hah
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest

These people need to unerstand that racing is a competitive endeavor. Mod TC and Mod 12th scale are the NHL, and NFL of R/C racing. You don't see the NHL or NFL restricting the size or speed of the players in their leagues, why should we?

well actually they do restrict the size and speed of the players by banning steriods. is cause they are worried about the players health, no, its because they don't want anyone to have a unfair advantage, you know, like hand wound motors and batterys no one else has access to, or custom built speed controls. you get the idea.

oh boy, i'm gonna get ripped pretty good for that one i expect.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote