R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #271
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

To me, it's not all the money thing. It's Time + money. I can find cool stuff used...but there are some fairly steep learning curves.

I probably spend 8-10 hours a week messing with the stuff at home (sometimes, more fun than racing), not counting the 45-60 minutes each way (NOT fun) driving to the track 1-2 times a week and the 5 hours or so I spend there.(usually fun)

For that amount of effort, I want to have a race and have a good time. It's not about being the fastest for me...it's about having fun.

This deal needs to be tilted towards the thrill of competition, rather than the tedium of selecting the proper brush compound.

If someone thinks they can tune an old school (brushed) motor to beat my 4300...good for them. I take my hat off to them (...it happens to me every week).

He gets the thrill of beating me...I get the thrill of beating some other guy.

Everybody goes home happy, right?
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #272
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I really wonder why people concerned about the cost don't run nitro. Then you don't worry about batts, comm lathes, brushes, speed controls. You go get yourself a GT or a Losi, any os motor, a good reciever pack, cheap batt charger and your good to go. Yeah you'll still want the good servos. But if you can drive, you can hang. Less at the track work on the vehicle unless you are crash prone.

Either way electric or nitro, there are gonna be guys that blow you away. That's how it is. Anyone doesn't like it they are in the wrong class or hobby. I do it plainly for fun too, but no I don't like getting whooped on. I normally don't, but there are guys that pass me time after time like I'm standing still. Those guys are just awesome. That's all. I don't feel bad they beat me, I actually love racing with them. I put a lot of time into my vehicles, not so much money. I take the time to learn to set them up and drive them. That's what makes it fun. Maybe next year when I start doing some electric off road I'll get a taste of the battery wars or speed is money thing. Never know. But nitro will be my main class. I just like the loudness, the mechanics of it.

I still say just look at the lap times. Trade vehicles with a real fast guy if ya know any who will. Then look at the lap times again.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #273
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Claydoh for President!!!!! Speak the truth!! You are dead shnuts spot on dude!
Old 01-15-2005, 09:55 PM   #274
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Busch
One of the biggest problems the middle class has today is they feel entitled to driving brand new cars, big houses, nice furniture, the latest electronic devices, constatly eating out, yearly vacation, and the list goes on. Most of these things being financed vs. saving up to buy them. A good portion of their money goes to paying interest. Relitivly few of them are saving and investing their money in IRA's, mutual funds, college funds for their kids and the minute they aquire some equity in their house they take out a 2nd mortage. Thats why the middle class is struggling today.
There you go! no concept of interest whatsoever.Or Just plain don't care.I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that because a lot of them have college degree's nowadays they think that's what entitles them.It's just a piece of paper and in the big scheme of things means very little nowadays.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #275
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyper1
There you go! no concept of interest whatsoever.Or Just plain don't care.I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that because a lot of them have college degree's nowadays they think that's what entitles them.It's just a piece of paper and in the big scheme of things means very little nowadays.
Yeah, that there book lernin' never did nobody no good anyhow.

Gimme a break.

Ever notice how the only people talking trash on people with some education are those without it?

Stick to talking about something you allegedly know something about...or at least go crack a book now and agin' for ya start to flappin' yer gums like a draft horse lookin' into the wind.

If it wasn't for them book smart guys at Novak or Futaba, et al, you'd still be winding up your wooden R/C car.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #276
Suspended

This whole thread is a sad commentary on the human condition. I mean we all love this hobby right? Yet we continue to argue about meanless crap, like who is better, Ford or Chevy. How can we expect different countries with different cultures to stop hating and killing each other when we, with the same love of racing, hate each other? The toxic anger just seeps from these threads whether it is meant to or not.

Sad sad sad....
Old 01-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #277
Tech Elite

Nahhh...I don't think so. I'm generally laughing my ass off while I'm typing. No hate whatsoever.

I think that some of these guys need to get outside sometime......but I don't hate them. I'm going to hang out in a beautiful park (LaMirada, OC Circuit) tomorrow and race my R/C car.

Even have some brand-new Take-Offs.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #278
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Not trying to cut in on anything here but laughing while typing doesn't mean squat, what matters is the attitude presented by the words typed. Let's turn this thread around and make it interesting to read again...

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:00 AM   #279
Suspended

That's the attitude, Turn that frown upside down!

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 01-16-2005 at 09:54 PM.
GordonFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #280
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
Not trying to cut in on anything here but laughing while typing doesn't mean squat, what matters is the attitude presented by the words typed. Let's turn this thread around and make it interesting to read again...

- JB
Yeah, let's make it about all those dumb people again. It's always more interesting to complain about other people than look at your own shortcomings.

I've been following the drivel in this thread since it started. Once the dummies start fighting back...it's not interesting anymore? It would be fine with me if this thread died and we got back to r/c tech stuff.

Besides, I think everyone's a dummy in their own way. I guess I'm an R/C dummy...you?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #281
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe
Yeah, that there book lernin' never did nobody no good anyhow.

Gimme a break.

Ever notice how the only people talking trash on people with some education are those without it?

Stick to talking about something you allegedly know something about...or at least go crack a book now and agin' for ya start to flappin' yer gums like a draft horse lookin' into the wind.

If it wasn't for them book smart guys at Novak or Futaba, et al, you'd still be winding up your wooden R/C car.

Yea I hear that a lot! but the only problem is I have a college degree also,it doesn't make you smarter than someone without one, it's my co horts that I worry about.I so often hear them say that because they have a degree that it entitles them to the good jobs,and the big salaries from the start.Nobody is entitled to anything,just like everybody else you have to start at the bottom and WORK your way up.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #282
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyper1:
Yea I hear that a lot!
I bet you do...

LOL...Sounds like you majored in "Baseless Overgeneralization", with a minor in "Metoo-ism". How's the job market for you guys these days?

It's probably looking up for you, huh?

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 01-16-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #283
Tech Fanatic

yea yea whatever!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #284
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yep, I'm done with this useless thread.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #285
Tech Fanatic