R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #211
Tech Fanatic

Yea Ray I'm not so sure about that,it takes a full engineering dept to run a full size car at the top levels,and even at a local level it takes an extremely well versed group of people to be competitive.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #212
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by elcid4300
As a former Kart racer I can tell you that you are incorrect. To be competetive, the amount on knowledge you need is immense, not to mention the $$. Think $40 for a set of RC tires is expensive, try $150-200 for a Kart. Crash an RC car and there goes $15-20 for a suspension arm and hub, crash a Kart and tweek a chassis or bend a spindle and rim $$$$....not to mention the potential repercussions of the crash on the body. Remember, no matter HOW HARD you crash an RC car, you aren't going to get hurt. RC racing IS hard, but please don't say that it is harder or requires more know how than racing a full size car or Kart.
Well-I am not ging to get in an argument-but I did race Enduro karts on and off for 20 years, but very seriouseyl for about 3 or 4 years straight-quitting a few years ago. If I may say-I was quite good at it in the end.

But cost and getting hurt have nothing to do with the skill to succeed. Not a real good comparison. Its a good comparison between what makes them different-but not to the level of skill.

I know I share this opnion with every other karter turned RC racer I know-but you and thats fine!! Thats what opinions are for. I dont hold it agianst you-but I still disagree. RC is much harder to master than a kart.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #214
Tech Champion

And this may sound really sad-but I worry more about breaking my RC car while driving on the track then I did crashing while I drove a kart. Thats not to say I wasnt careful to a point.

hyper-your probably right-at the NASCAR, ALMS,CART F1 level, the level of skill is every bit as hard I am sure.

Ray
Old 01-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #215
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ray,

My comments about $$$ and getting hurt were to strengthen the point about the skill required with full size racing, there are very serious consequences in making mistakes. Obviously you have your opinion as I have mine. Competition is competition wether it be racing RC cars or Karts or F1. Just be real about the fact that the knowledge and skill needed to pedal a car or a Kart is immense...I am sure most will agree.
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 PM   #216
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by elcid4300
Ray,

My comments about $$$ and getting hurt were to strengthen the point about the skill required with full size racing, there are very serious consequences in making mistakes. Obviously you have your opinion as I have mine. Competition is competition wether it be racing RC cars or Karts or F1. Just be real about the fact that the knowledge and skill needed to pedal a car or a Kart is immense...I am sure most will agree.
Yes-and thats why I quit for awhile. I had three bad accidents in two seasons-all could have had me seriousely hurt-but I didnt break any bones or anything. I figured my luck was getting a bit thin and my first child was on the way-so cool it off for awhile. And yes-I am in pain every day from the crashes (neck and back).

I am being real-a kart you hold onto the wheel-its very apparent at all times where your losing time to your competitors and youve got gauges and data acquisition, pyrometers to back it up. An RC car is 10' to 150' away from you-totally unconnected to your senses, but your eyesight and maye a little to your ears-if the tracks not too loud.

I would say that someone with the desire and bravado to go fast in a car will be much further along after a summer of car racing then his equal counterpart switching to RC cars. And the guy running the rc cars will get 10x more track time and chnaces to race then the car guy.

Anyways-I digress-this has nothing to do with dumbing down the sport!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #217
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Someone with desire and bravado will for sure be further along than the RC guy in a summer, no doubt. Long term desire and bravado will only get you so far (more than likely into a wall, or worse wrecking someone else). Of course anyone over the age of 10 can get into a Kart a drive it around the track (not so with RC) but it is the commitment, talent, desire, and skill that takes that 10 year old to a red F1 car with a #1 on it. It is the same with RC but can't be fairly compared, that's all I am trying to say.
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:16 PM   #218

I think rc-racing should cost even more. That would keep out the people who arn't comitted to racing. Racing takes time energy and money, it's not a video game. If you can't make the comitment then be a backyard basher and stop trying to make classes or rules that just mite give you a short cut. Rc car brushless tech is so far infirior to the rest of the world, just look at lehner or hacker, there motors are three to four times the watts of novak. there esc are totally programable, timing curves, frequency initial start up ect ect...... How many of you know how to adjust the hall sensor to change the static timing for more efiency? All thee other brushless manufactures rate there motors in kva. that 1000 rpm per volt. Let's take a 4200 kva motor and compute the rpm for 1.68av compared to 1.78av cells.42,336 vrs 44,856 rpm. Quite abit different eh? But in brushless, batteries don't matter, ya keep telling yourself that. You mite as well just run mabuchies, no brushes to change and no comms to turn.
JCTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #219
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
I think rc-racing should cost even more. That would keep out the people who arn't comitted to racing. Racing takes time energy and money, it's not a video game. If you can't make the comitment then be a backyard basher
That has got to be one of the most assinine comments I've heard....

This is a Hobby, plain and simple.... We're playing with TOY CARS... There's no glamour... No big cash payouts.... There isn't 50,000 spectators watching....

The hobby does not support the Racers... If they were here to just cater to racers they'd be long out of business....

All our tracks are located in Hobby shops or empty lots... There's no Daytona Speedway or Limerock park for RC cars....

The general public doesn't crack open a bud while watching it on TV.... You can't buy a Brian Kinwald Hat or Jacket (sorry brian if you read this....) Needed someone....

This is a game.... This is for fun... It costs money but it's still all for fun..... The very few have managed to make a living doing this... very few....

If anything is DUMBING down this hobby, it's comments like that.....
Old 01-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
That has got to be one of the most assinine comments I've heard....

This is a Hobby, plain and simple.... We're playing with TOY CARS... There's no glamour... No big cash payouts.... There isn't 50,000 spectators watching....

The hobby does not support the Racers... If they were here to just cater to racers they'd be long out of business....

All our tracks are located in Hobby shops or empty lots... There's no Daytona Speedway or Limerock park for RC cars....

The general public doesn't crack open a bud while watching it on TV.... You can't buy a Brian Kinwald Hat or Jacket (sorry brian if you read this....) Needed someone....

This is a game.... This is for fun... It costs money but it's still all for fun..... The very few have managed to make a living doing this... very few....

If anything is DUMBING down this hobby, it's comments like that.....
we are talking about racing at that point its borderline sport. Hobby is the backyard basher who does it for playing, or goes to the track to hang out and be with his buddies! Those guys dont complain! Just the wanna bee's who cant hang!
I
Old 01-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #221
Tech Adept

I'm not sure if 4-cell is the answer, but there is a need for some change, at least on our indoor carpet tracks.

Most indoor carpet tracks are somewhere around 36' x 72'. This makes for narrow lanes and short straights. For a beginner, or novice racer, 6-cell stock TC is WAY too quick. Not too fast, too quick. I say this from experience in trying to get my son started racing. 6-cells geared down, or tuned out at the radio still allows the car to accellerate quickly from the first wall they hit to the next wall that they will hit.

When a talented driver is on the track with the same setup, it doesn't look that quick because they are smooth drivers. But, they are turning quicker laps. As someone stated earlier, they make it look easy.

The biggest problem I have with our current stock classes is that they are too fast. In the old days, we couldn't wait to build our skills to the point we could run modified. Now, we have drivers at our local races with 10-15+ years of experience running stock. They do this because stock is fast enough and challenging enough to keep them interested.

I'm not sure about the argument of multiple classes. At my home track, TC stock is the main class. We have been lucky to have some form of a modified class each Sunday, but it's been close on several occasions. I'm not seeing the fragmentation.

I am like some others, I just pick my goal and try to improve. I don't care where I finish as long as I had fun and did something better than last week. But, there are many out there that equate winning with improving and having fun.

There is also a big stigma about running in the Novice class. Novice is usually viewed as a class where you simply learn how to turn left and right, not perfect your skills. Everyplace I've been, drivers move out of Novice within weeks of starting if they can.

The key is definitely to get MANY new drivers involved in our hobby. Eventually everybody will get frustrated and quit, that's just the way it is. We need new blood to keep our tracks alive. I've see way too many close up because of low turnouts.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #222
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

edited because I really have nothing to add to this thread other than telling the elitists to get bent

Last edited by Claydoh; 01-14-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #223

Well, I guess ther's a one legged fat chick in your future.
JCTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #224
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

Oh, tell your mom I'm busy
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #225
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Claydoh
Oh, tell your mom I'm busy
gee for a moderator you sure are polite!