R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Im returning to RC 1/10th scale Touring car races

Hi everyone

I am returning after well (15 years) my local club is WLRC Hillingdon where i used to race my YOKOMO YR4 Sport

I Still have this old car and just purchased a new one from a friend, it is a HPI PRO 4, is this car going to be competative at the top level?

I am not sure if i have the hara eddition, anyone know how i can verify?

I have a few questions as all the data online seems to counter itself

Here are the rules they are stating about class types ect

wlrc.co.uk
Scale Saloon Stock Touring - any "commercially available" 27 turn motor with fixed 24 degree timing or 17.5 brushless motor. 6 cell or LiPo with 1350 gram weight limit. Motors may have bearings fitted.
Scale Saloon Super Stock - 6 cell or LiPo with any "commercially available" 13.5 brushless motor with 1350 gram weight limit.
Scale Saloon Pro Stock - 6 cell or LiPo with either BRCA approved 10.5 brushless or 19 turn brushed motor all to 1350 gram weight limit.
Scale Saloon Super Touring - LiPo with any modified or brushless motor with 1350 gram weight limit.

But i notice on another site they said they would not be using brushed motors this year, can anyone confirm?

What are you guys using in terms of motors and cells?

Last edited by DoNiE; 02-14-2012 at 06:38 AM.
DoNiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Brushless has died out, those of us who still run brushed can only do so because we stockpiled motors a few years ago.

Quote:
But i notice on another site they said they would not be using brushed motors this year, can anyone confirm?
Most likely because you can't buy 27T stock motors any more. Plenty of cheap basher motors, but not many racers are going to use them.

Quote:
My question is what should i go for i would like to stick with brushed for now as i have the speed controler for it
The people to ask are the club organisers, not people on RcTech. If you forget about the modifieds and pick up a 27T stock to get you started I can't see them complaining, after all it's another new member and you will end up with a brushless system anyway.

Quote:
my brother said he took at look at race results and the supper touring class didnt evan run?
10.5T brushless is about as fast as we go these days, even at national level we don't run modifieds.
Not much point as a touring car with a modified in can be undriveable for all buy a select few racers these days. These days lipo battery capacity means for modified you can use as fast a motor as you want, gear it high and still get many practice laps in before a race starts. The performance limit is how well the driver can hang on to it, which has killed the class.

Quote:
And then there is the issue of everything having to be BRCA approved, i want to race i need a motor and batery anyone can help? i would like to be fast and dont mind spending some money whats best
What's best this week will be different to what's best next week, and if you want the best you will need to spend serious money. With ESCs it's best to choose something other racers at your club uses, the ESCs do all the motor tuning these days and the best usually need to be hooked up to a laptop the get the best out of them so it's useful if other racers use the same so you can copy their many settings as a start point. Same with motors, what works best on my track will not necessarily be best at yours. Everyone has their favourites so hard to get a definite guide, but for ESCs I would say the Tekin RS Pro and Speed Passion GT v2.1, my choice of motor would be from LRP X12, Speed Passion MMM or Team Powers Plutonium ranges. As for batteries, that's a constantly moving target, what's the hot ticket this week will have been superseded in a months time, but to be honest any lipo over 5000mah with a high C rating will do the job for you. You will also need a new charger for your lipo, nimh chargers will destroy them.

Considering you are starting with the Pro4 I presume you are just looking on getting back into touring cars as it isn't going to be that competitive these days. Visiting the club would be my best advice as chatting with the drivers there is a good chance you can pick up a motor and ESC to get you running, or at elast get some good advice on what works best there.

If you want to choose yourself, the lists of BRCA legal motors and batteries can be found here http://www.brca.org/?q=content/homol...-updates/14218
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNiE View Post
Hi everyone

I am returning after well (15 years) my local club is WLRC Hillingdon where i used to race my YOKOMO YR4 Sport

I Still have this old car and just purchased a new one from a friend, it is a HPI PRO 4, is this car going to be competative at the top level?

I am not sure if i have the hara eddition, anyone know how i can verify?

I have a few questions as all the data online seems to counter itself

Here are the rules they are stating about class types ect

wlrc.co.uk
Scale Saloon Stock Touring - any "commercially available" 27 turn motor with fixed 24 degree timing or 17.5 brushless motor. 6 cell or LiPo with 1350 gram weight limit. Motors may have bearings fitted.
Scale Saloon Super Stock - 6 cell or LiPo with any "commercially available" 13.5 brushless motor with 1350 gram weight limit.
Scale Saloon Pro Stock - 6 cell or LiPo with either BRCA approved 10.5 brushless or 19 turn brushed motor all to 1350 gram weight limit.
Scale Saloon Super Touring - LiPo with any modified or brushless motor with 1350 gram weight limit.

What are you guys using in terms of motors and cells?
Hi,

WLRC is my local club, sounds like you stopped racing a couple of years after I originally did

The modified class has been all but dead at club level for a while now, so at the AGM 10.5 brushless was voted in as the top class.

At WLRC we tend to run 17.5, 13.5 and 10.5 brushless motors.
We all run lipo batteries as well.
With the latest speedo's the cars are much faster than they used to be with brushed.

If your just coming back in I would advise starting in either 17.5 or 13.5 as things have changed a lot.

There isn't really a class that is suitable for the old modified brushed motors.

Your car probably wont be that competitive, but if you can get hold of a 12t or 19t motor if you have the rest of the equipment then you can at least run.

If your still in the planning stages for coming back, I would come down on Sunday and speak to a few of the guys there. Spencer would be a good person to talk to. Unfortunately I will be away at another meeting, but I would honestly come and see what's what before throwing money at it.

WLRC also has a sub forum here;
http://rcracechat.com/vb/forum.php

Scroll down the Clubs section and you'll find the West London Racing Centre.

Here's a vid of some 10.5's a couple of years ago. With ESC technology they are even faster now!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk

Last edited by Skiddins; 02-14-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, first up thank you both for your replies.....

Sorry for the late reply i have been trying to get things sorted, ok here is where i am at

My hpi pro 4 is now stript down and clean, I have rebuilt my rear diff and cleaned all bearings and re oiled. I have ordered some teflon bearings to replace a few that are not so good....

I decided to go with the speed passion 2.0 pro (i got a great price from an ebay member, brand new it cost me 80 pounds, bargain)

I also went with the speed passion motor, the mmm version 13.5 the newest!

I have a nice 6800 orion 90c lipo

Kopro servo (metal case one)

Mazda speed 6 shell

Sorex 32 tires

Nice new stick transmitter 2.4ghz 3 chanel with lcd display, some good tweaks all digital....

We came down to wlrc on sunday but it had been shut due to rain waisted jurney across london grr but was nice to see the old track, lots of puddles there so i can see what you mean by the new surface it has changed allot since i last raced here

So now just need to stick everything together and do the wiring, run my setup (i managed to get an andy more setup from west london when he was running the pro 4!) sweet!

Hoping to start up for the first summer heat in april but will be down there mid march for practice

I also have my brother running an MI1 and my dad running his carbon yokomo yr4, we are going to run these older cars for a year or so then buy some new kits

My dad likes the schumacher as he can still get parts for his old boss cat, says that will come in handy! so he will prob run the MI4 or the latest that schumacher offer next year

My brother likes the xray, he likes the metal they use and has it in his mind that this is the strongest car

I will run the hpi tcx although this is a 2010 car so i am hoping that in the next year or two they will have a newer model that i could get.

Anyways its great to be back messing with the little cars is fun, i was mad to leave this sport/hobby and ery happy to be back.

I will bring my antique yokomo yr4 for a few laps of honour when i am down there, hope to see a few of you there

Happy racing

DoNiE AKA Stuart
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Sunday's meeting was the replacement for a replacement for the original winter series round ... We still got rained off.

We haven't been that lucky recently with the weather so fingers crossed for the weekend.

Replied on Racechat before reading this.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

@Skiddins

That track looks awesome

I wish I could race with ya guys

Kel
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Yes the track is awsome i used to love racing there, i did go to try some others close but they were all very tight carpet tracks, i had to use a tiny motor i think 15 turn......I much prefered wlrc with my 12 turn motor with the long straight

I have had to make myself a Lipo converter for the car as it has no real grips to hold this new battery in place, its quite funny looking made of servo arms and such waiting on my brother to fasion me something from an alu sheet he has