R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Bearing wear

I was thinking of getting some nice ceramic bearings.

But on the other hand, it seems to me, that it's mainly the outer front bearings, that wear out. I can buy 40 low budget bearings for what it'll cost me to fully upgrade to ceramic dittos, so only having to change two bearings once a while, I can race a long time with low budget bearings.

I'm on a somewhat limited money budget. But if the ceramic ones will be cheaper in the long run, I might jump into that...

My time budget I can spend on this is very limited. So I would prefer to trash a cheap bearing, instead of cleaning and relubing.

What do you think?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default Re: Bearing wear

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I was thinking of getting some nice ceramic bearings.

But on the other hand, it seems to me, that it's mainly the outer front bearings, that wear out. I can buy 40 low budget bearings for what it'll cost me to fully upgrade to ceramic dittos, so only having to change two bearings once a while, I can race a long time with low budget bearings.

I'm on a somewhat limited money budget. But if the ceramic ones will be cheaper in the long run, I might jump into that...

My time budget I can spend on this is very limited. So I would prefer to trash a cheap bearing, instead of cleaning and relubing.

What do you think?
In my experience, the outerfront bearing never wear out, but they do get damaged. This is caused from impact...hitting things. Personally, I would go for the ceramics. I raced a TC3 for three seasons and never had to replace even one Acer Ceramic Bearing...in three season...not one! They roll much smoother than metal bearings (when broken in) and they are lighter than the metal bearings as well (this is for all quality ceramics...not just the Acer bearings). The Acers also require much less maintenance than any other bearing I have ever used.
If you are constantly damaging the front hub bearings, you will probably need to replace the ceramic ones almost as often as you would replace the steel ones however. While the ceramic ball bearings, themselves are stronger than the steel bearings, the cages the balls ride in are not.
Sticking with a bearing that has teflon or plastic seals may help your problem. With my experience, metal sheilds will bend or dent on impact causeing the inside of the shield to rub against the ball cage causing friction. Where a teflon or plastic seal will bounce back after impact and cause no rubbing.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Thanks, that was a VERY usefull input !
Old 01-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
J-P
Tech Regular

ive run acer's and they are great, no problems at all. i would recommend them. the teflon shields are easy to remove and refit, and overall i think its worth spending the extra on them.

J-P
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by J-P
ive run acer's and they are great, no problems at all. i would recommend them. the teflon shields are easy to remove and refit, and overall i think its worth spending the extra on them.

J-P
I tend to agree, but if they'll damage as easily as "standard" bearings on the outerfront, I dont find it worth it. I'm on a casual club level, and doing pretty fine already
Old 01-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I tend to agree, but if they'll damage as easily as "standard" bearings on the outerfront, I dont find it worth it. I'm on a casual club level, and doing pretty fine already
They are stronger and will take more abuse than the standard bearings. I think for the wheel bearings it's more dependant on the shields than anything. Like I stated earlier, if the metal sheild of the bearing bends in toward the ball cage causing it to rub...the braring is shot.
All I can say is give them a shot. I promise you will never use anything else!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
J-P
Tech Regular

like koabich said, if cheap metal shielded bearings get pushed in or damaged on the shield they are useless to an extent, but with the teflon shields their may be some give and they wont bind, and in the worst case you can just remove the shield ( but you will have to maintain it more )

J-P
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to basementLOSI

My XXX-T RTR came with all ceramic balls. Good thing: ceramic balls.

Raced one season already and no problems, but it is important to clean/lube them. Keeps em movin nicely. But ya, I would go with ceramics in the long run. Good luck bro
basementLOSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bAsEmEnTLOSI
My XXX-T RTR came with all ceramic balls. Good thing: ceramic balls.

Raced one season already and no problems, but it is important to clean/lube them. Keeps em movin nicely. But ya, I would go with ceramics in the long run. Good luck bro
It's important to clean and lube all bearings regardless of the type or shield. However bearings with one kind of shield will need less or more maintenance than bearings with a different shield. For example, metal shielded bearings, in my experience, need more care than any other kind..then teflon then the plastic seal (the same seal used in Acer Ceramic bearings require the least). I have never used rubber sealed soI cannot comment.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

if you are a regular racer amd you intend to hold on to your kit for a long time or dont have any plans of getting a new kit well ou should get ceramic bearings. BUT if you will decide to get a jrx or a tc4 or some other kit then dont get the ceramic bearings.
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by S-T-R-l-K-E-R
if you are a regular racer amd you intend to hold on to your kit for a long time or dont have any plans of getting a new kit well ou should get ceramic bearings. BUT if you will decide to get a jrx or a tc4 or some other kit then dont get the ceramic bearings.
I've thought of that too.

I'm racing a HPI Pro2, which I'm very satisfied with. I dont have plans about getting another chassis. And if I get tempted and get another chassis, I'll keep the Pro2, either as a backup or for outdoor racing.

However, the joker is, that it might get very hard to get parts in the future. It doesnt break, but parts wear out...

I tend to get the ceramic bearings from Acer at some point in the near future. I'm beaten a lot of guys with new hyper-chassis, which is extra fun with an ancient car and the Acers will probably make me even faster

Thanks guys, you have been very helpfull in clearing up things for me.