R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Race Coverage- Race Course

I tried following the thread about this last weeks Touring car championships.
It would be really nice if we could get a list not of just drivers names but
brand of car, motor, battery,body,esc, etc and anything unique about the car.

-----------------------
Did one brand of car seem to dominate or be superior or did it sem more like the cars were evenly matched and it was driver skill the primary factor. Were there any products new Spectrum rx/tx which stood out?

-----------On another subject I wish some effort was done to make the tracks look authentic. Why do RC tracks all seem to look like they were built by somone dumpster diving at a consrtuction site. If you are going to use PVC or 2x4s, why not paint them to look like the barriers in full scale racing. Why not racing theamed advertising signs alon the course like you see in full size in other words why not try to build a scale version of a real track. At the very least have the track surface be a different color tan the non track infield areas.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie
Default Re: Race Coverage- Race Course

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
--On another subject I wish some effort was done to make the tracks look authentic. Why do RC tracks all seem to look like they were built by somone dumpster diving at a consrtuction site. If you are going to use PVC or 2x4s, why not paint them to look like the barriers in full scale racing. Why not racing theamed advertising signs alon the course like you see in full size in other words why not try to build a scale version of a real track. At the very least have the track surface be a different color tan the non track infield areas.
mainly because the tracks are changed regualrly and this wouldn;t allow them to paint the non track sections due to the fact that it will eventually become a track section. Now the 2x4 painted thing also goes to the fact that the track changes and it would take alot of paint every time you change the track you would have to repaint due to the new sections being in different areas. If you like the LOOK LIKE A REAL TRACK than you will have to go to places like the Tamiya track. Permanant track layout with only minor changes because it looks real (1/1 scale). Just my two pennies. Also owning a track is alot of work and it cost alot of money to build said track. I would rather have a track that is there tomorrow than a track that has a REAL FEEL and has to close in a few months due to lack of funds to support it.

Hope this sheads some light
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm beginning to really dislike this whole trend toward "more realism".

You see, our cars are real. Our tracks are real. They are merely scaled in size.

If you look at RC racing as its OWN form of racing, you realize that everything that works in full scale racing doesn't transalate down to our level.

The barrier on full scale tracks are painted in a manner to provide the driver (in car) the best image possible concerning where the track is and is going.

Since we don't pilot our race machines from the cockpit then its likely that the most effective barriers will not look the same as full scale.

There was also a discussion about realism of RC bodies. My thoughts are the same there.

Not to mistcontrue the point though. I do still feel that many tracks should pay closer attention to the details and make the track more presentable. I remember the ROAR onroad electric nats a couple years ago was almost embarrasing. The track, though at a very nice facility, was a hodge podge of 2x4s, metal discs, plastic deflectors, and aluminum guttering.

So I do understand what you are saying... but I think it has more to do with professionalism than realism.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Shane Reinink
Default Re: Race Coverage- Race Course

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
I tried following the thread about this last weeks Touring car championships.
It would be really nice if we could get a list not of just drivers names but
brand of car, motor, battery,body,esc, etc and anything unique about the car.

-----------------------
Did one brand of car seem to dominate or be superior or did it sem more like the cars were evenly matched and it was driver skill the primary factor. Were there any products new Spectrum rx/tx which stood out?

-----------On another subject I wish some effort was done to make the tracks look authentic. Why do RC tracks all seem to look like they were built by somone dumpster diving at a consrtuction site. If you are going to use PVC or 2x4s, why not paint them to look like the barriers in full scale racing. Why not racing theamed advertising signs alon the course like you see in full size in other words why not try to build a scale version of a real track. At the very least have the track surface be a different color tan the non track infield areas.
First I'd like to say the all the boards were freshly painted for this race weekend (with over 290 drivers running 1000's of laps over a 5 day period) they don't take long to start looking used again.

Second there were more Sponser banners around that track than i have ever seen, they might not have been low like at track level but they were all around.

The facility looked great and was by far the best run event i have ever seen. Scotty did a great job and im sure like myself everybody aggreed how nice a program was run
Shane Reinink is offline   Reply With Quote