R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do that, and you completely rule out the FGX... which seems quite popular.
Why, oh why did 3racing have to make it 190mm, instead of 180...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #77
Tech Addict

So you guys are saying 3racing is gay because they came up with a car thats 190mm that brought F1 racing back to life? And you are saying UF1 series is gay because they are allowing the F104 to go 190mm to match the FGX width just to be fair?

Do we need to match the tires width and wheelbase of the full scale F1 as well?
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

F1 was doing fine without the FGX. It is a very cool car, but it also presents a lot of problems. 3Racing also decided it would be convenient to put their 190mm FWD car trans on the back of this thing and make it an F1,,,so now it's 190mm because it was easy to do for them.

So now we have 3 widths. Somebody is going to be upset

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #79
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Somebody is always going to be upset. Its in their nature. So be it. Just get one of each.
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Got to run what your club allows really; we stick to the 180 Tamiya cars (which I personally prefer) but I can see how this could be a tuning aid or making a F104 a retro/vintage car if they chose to race with the wider F103’s. Racers need to help develop the class still so it will evolve for a while until it reaches VTA status and is at every major race from now on. The UF1 rules seem to really help push the sport forward as far as car spec’s; I’ve never tried making a pit stop for electric racing but can see the fun of it for local races.

This kit looks like a very nice product and good for anyone who can capitalize on a new market.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #81
Tech Adept

Now if Serpent should make a 235mm wide F1. Should we allow that to? NO. The FGX is a wrong car with the wrong rear suspension. F1 must be light and nimble so a pancar is the way to go. The FGX is more like a backyard basher with F1 looks as was the F201. If the FGX would be 180mm there's NO way it could keep up with a pan car style chassis.
The Big Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
Now if Serpent should make a 235mm wide F1. Should we allow that to? NO. The FGX is a wrong car with the wrong rear suspension. F1 must be light and nimble so a pancar is the way to go. The FGX is more like a backyard basher with F1 looks as was the F201. If the FGX would be 180mm there's NO way it could keep up with a pan car style chassis.
Check the ROAR rules for F1, as they stand the FGX is not allowed. With the FGXs popularity this may change. 200mm pan is the standard globally for RC F1 as most F102/103s are true to rule set even if the bodies, wheels and tires are not up to 2012 FIA current spec at 1/10 scale. The F104 is too short and not scale at all by FIA 2012 standards. As far as scale realism, the IRS of the FGX and true high nose front end is pretty cool.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Check the ROAR rules for F1, as they stand the FGX is not allowed. With the FGXs popularity this may change. 200mm pan is the standard globally for RC F1 as most F102/103s are true to rule set even if the bodies, wheels and tires are not up to 2012 FIA current spec at 1/10 scale. The F104 is too short and not scale at all by FIA 2012 standards. As far as scale realism, the IRS of the FGX and true high nose front end is pretty cool.
The ROAR F1 rules are outdated and so plain stupid. it's not becouse a car is popular that rules have to change. Tamiya made the BIG mistake to bring out the F103 Aniv. Ed. before the F104. Becouse of that people dusted of their old 200mm F1's and went racing again. Becouse of that their are logicly more wide than narrow F1's and people say it's the standart. F104 wheelbase would still comply with current F1 rules but their wouldn't enough room for the fueltank. You don't see that high nose in motion so their is no point in using that.
The Big Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
The ROAR F1 rules are outdated and so plain stupid. it's not becouse a car is popular that rules have to change. Tamiya made the BIG mistake to bring out the F103 Aniv. Ed. before the F104. Becouse of that people dusted of their old 200mm F1's and went racing again. Becouse of that their are logicly more wide than narrow F1's and people say it's the standart. F104 wheelbase would still comply with current F1 rules but their wouldn't enough room for the fueltank. You don't see that high nose in motion so their is no point in using that.
You hit the nail on the head. The old rules and no current standard will hurt if something isn't decided. Grass roots movements like USF1 are pretty much what's dictating the current direction. Unless someone is totally dominating at my local track, I don't care which chassis they run. At a national event, it better meet the letter of the event rules. At the rate that the other kits are selling, Tamiya may not be the standard. As you stated, that is their own fault. I bought in when the F103RM came out (Aug 2009), 2 months later the 15th was out (Oct 2009 roughly), and then at the turn of the year the F104. I have to say the day The F104 went on the market all our old die hard F1 guys said "I'm not buying one, I have too much in this stuff I just bought" and they left the class behind when the season ended. It is a shame.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #85
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO, I think itís a bad idea to be so close-minded about a small segment such as F1. We are only talking about widening the F104 by 10mm, but that has really brought this car alive. After widening my F104x1, it allowed me to do some aggressive tuning. It is still EXTREMELY nimble and about 1/2 second a lap faster than the closest FGX. Indoors, I think the 104's will dominate just because of their design (even though the faster FGX guys are catching up), but outdoors (once people get have more time on them) I think the FGX will be hard to beat.

On a side note, I picked up an FGX for outdoor use but did run it on carpet to test it out. On my first test run with a basic setup and ZERO tuning, I was only 2/10th a lap off the pace of my F104x1. Thatís huge and shows that this car can be nimble and a possible contender for the podium against a fast Tamiya car.

Is 180mm the correct width? Well, it was when there was no other car around, but how does that make it correct? Making a car wider is easy...making it narrower is much more difficult, and creating another chassis to battle it out (whether it's 180mm or 190mm) is great for the sport. It has sparked a huge resurgence in F1 in our area and in the UF1 series. I do agree that there needs to be a limit, and 190mm should be it. The 190mm does not throw the scale looks too far out of balance as the F103ís do.

The UF1 peeps have pretty much agreed that the mere fact that one car could be better than the other on different tracks and surfaces will make this segment even more appealing! It's no longer a 'who can drive the Tamiya car faster, it's now an actual chassis manufacturerís battle. I see this as a total positive thing for F1 and am totally looking forward to the next UF1 season to see which car takes the crown.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #86
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallgm View Post
Just installed kit but the right rear seems a little sloppy is this normal??
I have a bit of play on the right side also, but I don't see how anything could be done about it. The additional 5mm width keeps the back side of the wheel from engaging the inner hex on the hub and the play is from the way the attachment point is held in with a roll pin which allows a small amount of movement.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #87
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We've done testing on it and it does't have any negative effect on the handling and the result speaked for itself
R-Sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #88
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkpony View Post
I have a bit of play on the right side also, but I don't see how anything could be done about it. The additional 5mm width keeps the back side of the wheel from engaging the inner hex on the hub and the play is from the way the attachment point is held in with a roll pin which allows a small amount of movement.
You are absolutely correct, the play is between the hubs. I made a shim .008mm thick to place between the hubs..... no more rocking.
Terry

Last edited by durtbag; 09-28-2016 at 09:48 PM.
durtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #89
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Sector View Post
We've done testing on it and it does't have any negative effect on the handling and the result speaked for itself
I'm not here to knock your kit, I did purchase one. But, the constant oscillation in the right side hub does cause alot of vibration, this will eventually wear the pin holes in the outer diff hub and the problem will only get worse.
As the manufacturer of this kit I would hope that you would find a way to correct the issue for future runs.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #90
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

durtbag, we totally understand and really appreciate your sugguestion. Thank you for supporting us
R-Sector is offline   Reply With Quote