R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Tech Master

Black versus White which is better.....

when it comes to servo tape that is?

And it's kind of ironic it's called servo tape as I've never used it on a servo. Anyway to the reason I ask.

I need to mount my Esc a low as I can in order to have access to the frequency changing pots of the receiver it will be mounted next too. So this means a single layer of thin servo tape is the order of the day. Only thing is the only thin servo tape I have at the moment is some 3M white stuff which is, shall we say VERY hard to remove if you need to.

So much so that the Esc I removed recently (with a clipped together case) left the bottom half of the case in the chassis .

So I'm thinking (and here is the question) would the black servo tape put out by Tamiya (part No: 50171) be a better alternative in todays modern Ep Tc, as I seem to recall it stuck very well but never left a mess behind (or you never had to strain yourself ) when you had to remove it?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

MIP tape is the best,

you could also put Two or layers under the reciver to raise it up so you can get to your frequency changing pots on the reciver .
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Tech Master

Default Thanks...but.....

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonC
MIP tape is the best,

you could also put Two or layers under the receiver to raise it up so you can get to your frequency changing pots on the reciver .
All I can get at short notice here in NZ is the Tamiya stuff, and as it is I've got a 3 layer sandwich of 2 thick pieces and one thin to lift up the receiver now. And that is so strong I can lift the car up by it lol.

Which is ok becasue I've found the thicker it is the easier it is to remove, but unfortunately I've test fitted the Esc with the thick stuff and it raises the Esc up "just" enough to make the screwdriver access awkward on the receiver.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Try some Shoe Goo. It's a rubbery glue made for repairing sneakers/shoes. It's strong as heck and a little flexible so it's easy to pry the ESC off when you need to.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

if its to strong just use a smaller piece or pieces of it. i dunno about it being too thick tho
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Tech Master

Post Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by greencactus3
if its to strong just use a smaller piece or pieces of it. i dunno about it being too thick tho
lol, still nowing my luck I wont put on enough.

I just seem to remember from the off-road days that the black stuff seemed to be rather flexible. And there's something about not covering the entire surface to be stuck down that bothers me lol.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From my experience.... Anything that dosen't leave a mess when you try to remove your speedy (or wateva u stuck down) is usually crap. They don't leave mess cause it don't stick too good. I have had a few things come loose with tamiya double sided tape, so I have moved on.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

THE best stuff I have found is clear.I found it at Wallmart .I think its 3M can't remember.It really holds.The best part is it comes off really easy.Its also really thin
tc3jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Tech Regular

MIP is the best holds great and comes off in one piece
no1uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Shoo-Goo, best thing since sliced bread
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

i dont know about u but i cant get any black servo tape to stick good enough to keep my stuff in place some times when i use the compressor to cleen my car let alone be hard to remove. the best stuff i used comes in the kits. i never seen white servo tape sold in hobby shops.
cain921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

I found this stuff that I have my mom order form her sign shop. It's an inch thick and it's like a white plasticy double-side tape. It's reusable & comes apart in one peice (no residue). I dont think there is anything better!
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3jp
THE best stuff I have found is clear.I found it at Wallmart .I think its 3M can't remember.It really holds.The best part is it comes off really easy.Its also really thin
Yeah that's the same tape we used to hold down parts that could not be affixed otherwise, when we would do 100g's shock & vibration tests at our lab, it's 3m cloth double sided carpet tape, they have it at home depot also & ace harware.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3jp
Yeah that's the same tape we used to hold down parts that could not be affixed otherwise, when we would do 100g's shock & vibration tests at our lab, it's 3m cloth double sided carpet tape, they have it at home depot also & ace harware.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
Tech Addict

I know you raced many years back, when we used the Yokomo Super dogfighters/YZ10, you had to cut the mounting lugs off the servo and tape them down. I think most other offroaders of that time managed to mount steering servo's with the lugs intact. I've always referred to it as servo tape since then

I bought MIP tape from Kelvin Wong in Wellington a few months back, not sure if he has any more of it left(would pay to give him a call).

No problems with it.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote