R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default motor modding

Hi! im totaly new, I did have a tamiya car (one of the ones that runs on a track) ahwile ago. Im about to enter a Uk based competition with my school that involes constructing a RC car, I remember a guy tuning his electric motor by adding extra copper wire to the 3 electro magnet terminals, adding more powerful case magnets and adding brass connectors. It was quite awhile ago so its all a bit hazy, are there any guides around? (you are allowed to modifiy the engine as long as it remains identifiable)

thanks v much Sonic ^_^

(I did post this in the rookie forum but no replies :-()

Last edited by sonicfish; 01-09-2005 at 09:47 AM.
sonicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this is a good starting point...

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

thanks, still wondering about modding the actual motor?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

By adding wire to the motor you will make it slower. You could take an arm and strip it down bare and hand wind one then silver solder the tabs back on then try to balance it and it will still blow up after 1 min of running. The magnets in the motor cases are epoxied in so removing them is pointless you can zap them with a magnet zapper to make them stronger but only slightly. As for modding the actual physical characteristics of the motor people usually dont do this mainly just tuning and tweaking. You want a faster mod motor buy a better bigger motor.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Slower?! Surely the extra wire would result in a stronger electro magnetic field?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

No, it works the other way. The less winds per pole and larger diameter wire produce more power.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

ahhhh i see! So if i removed the wire and re wraped with thicker wire, the motor would be more powerfull?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If it had less or equal turns it would.....but then you have to get it balanced, which can't be done with a prop balancer ( I don't care what anyone wants to argue, it doesn't work correctly)...it takes an expensive specialize piece of equipment.....

In theory, more wire would provide more torque....so I guess it depends on what you define stronger as....

And zapping magnets can have a huge effect if the magnets were overheated and started to demagnetize.....zapping new magnets will usually only make a slight difference.

Later EddieO