R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   looking for a pan car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/595723-looking-pan-car.html)

jonu 02-05-2012 02:23 PM

looking for a pan car

I'm going to be selling my rock crawler and am looking for something to replace it with. I have been considering a few options and one of them is a pan car. I used to have a rc12L3 and I really enjoyed it. This time though I want to get a 1/10 scale pan car. I've looked at the various offerings from Corally, Associated, Serpent, and Xray. One thing I noticed is that some are 200mm and others are 235mm. I plan on going out to the track next weekend to see what is being run but I doubt that anyone runs these, so my question is what are the pros and cons of the two different sizes and what kits would you guys recommend? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

CypressMidWest 02-05-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 10281955)
I'm going to be selling my rock crawler and am looking for something to replace it with. I have been considering a few options and one of them is a pan car. I used to have a rc12L3 and I really enjoyed it. This time though I want to get a 1/10 scale pan car. I've looked at the various offerings from Corally, Associated, Serpent, and Xray. One thing I noticed is that some are 200mm and others are 235mm. I plan on going out to the track next weekend to see what is being run but I doubt that anyone runs these, so my question is what are the pros and cons of the two different sizes and what kits would you guys recommend? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Where do you race?

jonu 02-06-2012 12:01 AM

I'll be racing at hals hobby warehouse in El Paso, TX. From talking to them on saturday I know they do race 1/10 scale touring and 1/8 scale nitro on road. I didn't see this show up after posting it so I made another post, it is titled need some help (can't post links yet).
I guess we can lock this one and use the other since I posted a bit more info in that one

samshirley00 02-06-2012 07:53 AM

Most places now run 200mm pan cars, but ask before if they have 235mm too.

I got an old RC10L, thats 235mm because the seller didn't list the size, but whatever, it seems fun.

fay_927 02-06-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 10281955)

go rcracingpro
Car kit is on discount

angus 02-07-2012 11:11 AM

It's amazing to see that the pan cars still look virtually the same as they did 25 years ago - I am also thinking of getting into one.

Josh-n-ya 02-07-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by angus (Post 10292199)
It's amazing to see that the pan cars still look virtually the same as they did 25 years ago - I am also thinking of getting into one.

might be a tight fit!:nod:

BullFrog 02-07-2012 11:20 AM

If your interested in a(Team) Corally WGT (200mm) I'll make you a great deal on everything I have! Have plenty of pictures I can send you.:nod:

jonu 02-07-2012 04:26 PM

I actually do have the Corally 10SL at the top of my list. The biggest reason is that with minimal changes I can have it running in two separate classes. Send me a pm and i'll take a look. Still waiting for my friend to get the money for the crawler, but if I can get something lined up while I wait, that would be great.

jonu 02-28-2012 05:36 PM

So Hopefully I'll be setup with a WGT car sometime in the next week or two and it has got me to wondering; can a 13.5 WGT with no boost or timing (i think it's called blinky) keep up with a 10.5 Boosted TC? I'm just wondering because at the local track there isn't enough for a WGT class (one guy has 2 and is trying to get others to get in) so I think I would be thrown in with the TC guys. I think it would be hold it's own in the corners, I'm just not sure how it would fare down the straights.

EskimoGangsta 02-28-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 10397276)
So Hopefully I'll be setup with a WGT car sometime in the next week or two and it has got me to wondering; can a 13.5 WGT with no boost or timing (i think it's called blinky) keep up with a 10.5 Boosted TC? I'm just wondering because at the local track there isn't enough for a WGT class (one guy has 2 and is trying to get others to get in) so I think I would be thrown in with the TC guys. I think it would be hold it's own in the corners, I'm just not sure how it would fare down the straights.

I'm going to go on a whim and say no. the WGT will corner much much better and hold speed better, but the straightaway i think you're going to lose to much ground for it to be competitive. if i were you i'd say run a 10.5 and that'd be much closer in my mind. boost is such a advantage now it's sick. on offroad i was running a 7.5 in a 2wd non boost, and a 13.5 boosted in 2wd was pretty identical. maybe even accelerated a bit harder

liljohn1064 02-29-2012 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 10397276)

With a 10.5 boosted TC it will be close. That is what most consider the slowest end of "modified" and that is not slow at all. The 10.5s might have more top end, but you will corner and accelerate faster due to your lower weight. Unless the track is real flowing and smooth, I'd give you the edge. When I was forced to do the same at my old track with the 13.5 sedans, my car left them in the dust and I'm not the best driver.

jonu 02-29-2012 09:41 AM

Thanks for the opinions. I think once i get the kit I will try it with a 13.5 with no boost or tiiming. If it is able to keep up on the lap times I'll be happy, if it doesn't I'll fool around with the timing and boost and see if i can't get it to do equal lap times without buying another motor. I for one think it would make for some interesting racing if it pulls a gap through the corners and the TC guys reel it back in on the straights. Another possibility is that it may be put in what they call a heinz 57 class which is a run-what-ya-brung style of class. I would rather run with the TC guys even if i don't get points just for the competitive aspect. Hopefully a few more will get a WGT car and we can have a class of our own.