R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to T-Money86mcss
Default Square cells instead of cylindrical

Why can't battery companies make us square cells instead of the cylinder-shaped ones that would fit better in the cars. I am not really sure how batteries are assembled and if this would be a problem, but it seems like it should be possible. Can you imagine how much nicer/easier they could fit in cars, and how much easier it would be to assemble packs if cells were rectangular!?
T-Money86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

It would also lower the center of gravity.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think this will happen once we move to Lipo or Ion technology,
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Mutilplex and Hitec are working together to purduce a brick style Li-po pack that fits the dimentions of the current rc cars as to make CG the best it can be. They should have more info in the coming months. I bet at RCX they will have a release date (just what I am thinking). I think this is where we are heading anyway. From what I have read about Li-po it is becoming easier to charge them with the newer chargers i.e. Turbo's and Commanders and even the newer integy high end chargers are having the features nessasary to charge Li-po but they aren;t advertising it because they don't want the liability if the Li-po pack ruptures and causes injury. Give it another year and Ni-mh will become ni-cd's. Also the Multiplex/Hitec packs are going ot have the safty features to keep people from hurting them selves because of there own stupidity. Look at RC aircraft, been flying Li-po for some time now.....HHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM
Just my two cents.
Take Care & GOD Bless
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
Tech Master

Default Re: Square cells instead of cylindrical

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Money86mcss
Why can't battery companies make us square cells instead of the cylinder-shaped ones that would fit better in the cars. I am not really sure how batteries are assembled and if this would be a problem, but it seems like it should be possible. Can you imagine how much nicer/easier they could fit in cars, and how much easier it would be to assemble packs if cells were rectangular!?
Tubes are radial and would have the same thickness of material from the core out. This is why most batteries are round.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Didn`t

Panasonic come up with some odd shaped 3700 cells last year?? I remember seeing a post last year about them..??
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Default Re: Didn`t

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Panasonic come up with some odd shaped 3700 cells last year?? I remember seeing a post last year about them..??
-Dave
I remember that...are they technically "Sub C" sized if they are square?
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #8

someone did or does make that type of battery. we used them in our hpi minis. so i would think just making them larger with more mh wouldn't be that big a deal.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Tech Master

They could just add material to make it square. It doesn't seem hard.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It would require creating a whole new group size of battery, as they would no longer be Sub-C in size. It would limit the cells to pretty much a specific group (RC racing) which would make the price of them totally sky rocket as RC is not the only application of the sub-c cell.

Many consumer markets use the sub-c cell, which helps keep the price "down" to what it is now. But squared cells would be larger, heavier, and require more material to build. Because of the technology the cells would not be flatter and keep the same amp hour rating. You'd basically have a big round core inside a larger metal case. Waste of material, added weight, etc, etc.

Also it would be much harder to insulate a rectangle cell. You couldn't shrink wrap it, the edges/corners would wear through pretty quick which could easily lead to short circuits. You'd have to insulate the batteries and encase them in something more durable, like plastic ... so at that point you might as well just make a square case for your entire pack.

I think cylinder shaped cells lend themselves to RC as they are pretty well. They index into the chassis keeping them from sliding around, and pack assembly is not hard. However I do think it would be pretty nice if we had packs that were 1/4" x 3" x 4-5" and still held 3-4 AH .. but slim NIMH packs like that typically only hold 700-1200 mAH.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:27 AM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

panasonic came out with some 3500's last year, i think they were on the shelves for about a month, if that.

but they were round at end end for about 4mm then they went square. they would be fine in cars like tc3, tc4, cgm etc where the batteries sit in a "tub" but where they are clamped down on a flat deck chassis they would be useless.
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote