Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWEEP vs SOREX

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Does anyone know where to get the Ride tires in the U.S.? Or a reliable online shop?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by todb
Does anyone know where to get the Ride tires in the U.S.? Or a reliable online shop?
Search online, I bought mine direct from Japan.

Posts with results are great, but as mentioned, that was at his track, it also doesn't mention what inserts were in the Sorex's etc as they are available with different inserts.

At our track brand new Sorex 32's were worth 0.3s per lap.
Since we had it resurfaced the overall race pace is slightly quicker (the asphalt was 20yrs old) but now new tyres are slightly slower and some of us have found that after the first run Sorex's are consistant until the canvas is showing. Superb, it's now cheaper to race

Haven't had a chance to run Ride's but a friend who tried Sweep 32's with Pink insert said they were crap and were heavily worn after 1 run (those same Sweep tyres/inserts are great on carpet with huge amounts of grip.

Each track surface will be slightly different so you actually need to test properly and see what happens.

Skiddins
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by todb
RIDE RE36 Tire instock !
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a side note - I'd be checking any Sweep product very carefully out of the package. I purchased a set of so called "pre-mount" 40 mini tyres, and there wasn't a drop of glue anywhere on the rims or tyres on all 4 wheels
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do we even have to answer this question offcourse SOREX hands down best tire ever.. You just have to pay an arm and leg but it's worth it due the longevity of this tires is awesome... And no one can come close to the grip this tires have..
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Used both keeping runtime, tire rotation, wear, and performance characteristic notes on each....Sorex, Hands down.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Posts with results are great, but as mentioned, that was at his track, it also doesn't mention what inserts were in the Sorex's etc as they are available with different inserts.

Each track surface will be slightly different so you actually need to test properly and see what happens.

Skiddins
Well put. I would also interject that chassis setup plays a huge role in which tire works best. At our club track (Carpet), I've seen guys have very good results with Sorex, and not run well with Sweeps. On the same token I've seen a different driver run significantly quicker with Sweeps over the Sorexes.

We also have a driver who's a bit of a set-up tinkerer (our fast guy in sedan), and I've seen him turn identical times with both, after some set-up adjustments.

Point being, set-up testing is still key........
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
last 2 weeks i have done some testing. S411, 3.5T with boost and turbo.

i have tried many tyre.
Edge 36R
Solaris M and H
sweep 36R
Sweep 40R
Sorex 36
Ride 36R

all tyres new, all tyres about 20 mins with warmers.
Edge gave me 16.9
Sweep 36R 16.5
Sweep 40R 16.2
Sorex 36 15.6

then following week
same track different conditions
Solaris M and H , i pulled the car off the track, or the marshall did.
Sweep 36R 17.2
Sweep 40R 16.9
Sorex 36 16.7
Ride 36R 16.2

for our track, we have used sorex 36 most of last year. this was our controlled tyre for the Nationals. they definaltey work well. however, our track, 3rd run, and they just cant cut it. they are slow. First run on sorex and i dont think you will find a better tyre.

Ride 36R
times i thaught were slow, 17.0 16.7 and i think after the 6th run with the tyres 16.2 . i did 8 runs with the rides and also had others use them to try.
and i got them back i think after 10 runs, and still was able to hit 16.5 . these tyres just last. they are slowish to start with, but after a couple of runs, they just get faster each time. so count up the costs. Sorex for the day maybe 3 sets of tyres. Rides, used them all day, and still can be used. i am sold on Rides.

but as far as sweep, i was very surprised that Sweep40R were faster then the 36R. again the sweep40R did last about 8 runs before they tapered off. but for Sorex and 3rd run thats it. is a huge cost to race at the pointy end. i think Rides are just as fast , specially using paragon Fx2.

just my findings over the last 2 weeks or so.
exactly what i was looking for, well done man! thanks this is testing at its finest
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default premount vs preglued

pre-mount and pre-glued sweeps are different.

pre-glued is the glued one. pre-mount is only mounted.

you can see that in the model number... if it ends only with "p" it premount.

and if its ends with "pp" then its pre glued.

Originally Posted by Losiho
Just a side note - I'd be checking any Sweep product very carefully out of the package. I purchased a set of so called "pre-mount" 40 mini tyres, and there wasn't a drop of glue anywhere on the rims or tyres on all 4 wheels
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To the original poster, if you are researching tires for use on racing on open tire rules there is no other brand except for sorex......

If you are researching brands for spec tires then the sweeps IMO is consistent and will save the racers some money....
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

how about you buy both and test for yourself. Never go off of others liking .
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

We here in the UK we have a series called SUKRR (SWEEP UK Rug Racers} which is run on Prima felt GT, and have had SWEEP design a tyre for us using the SWEEP 30 compound with a JB style insert, but has been made in the QTS mould so that it gives a smaller and slightly thicker side wall, which helps from the tyre rolling over and giving traction roll as did the old EXP, which we here in the UK ran a drop of super glue around the wall of the tyre to give the feeling of less tyre roll over.
The tyre is easily as quick as sorex indoors on rug, and is prefered over sorex for its consistancy and amount of runs. I am not sure if they are yet available for any where else yet though, but I am sure they will become popular to racers. I have found that you can swop the tyres around the corners of the car without the car feeling different as you do with sorex.
This is not a plug for this new make up of tyre/wheel/insert, just something I have been asking Ryan at SWEEP to do for us
its been called EXP-QTS and with the JB style insert, weigh the same as soerx 24 grams

Cheers Malc
Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lucky Hobbies
pre-mount and pre-glued sweeps are different.

pre-glued is the glued one. pre-mount is only mounted.

you can see that in the model number... if it ends only with "p" it premount.

and if its ends with "pp" then its pre glued.

I purchased my Sweeps from RC Mart. I checked their website right now and all of their touring and mini tyres are "pre-mount". They don't have any different part numbers.

I also purchased a set of Ride 36 and Sorex 36 tyres from Speedtech RC - they were labeled as "pre-mount" and were glued perfectly.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sagejyoung
hi all i was wondering if there was any knowledge on SWEEP and SOREX tyres for asphalt racing in mod and 13.5 racing?

how do the two tyres compare with consistency and wear?
Sagejyoung, have you tried Team Powers 36R with blue insert we ran the at the Groot Gat challenge 3weeks ago and we did the same similar laptime to what we have done with Sorex, the best part is that the TP's dont have as much drop off as Sorex. The only time a Sorex could be quicker is its first run but there after I really can tell the TP become better and you can do 5-7 runs on them for set up slap on new rubber and it does not change the balance of the car it just grips a bit better. Will be testing the again this weekend at Trap. TP are well priced.

Charl
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Well here's my two cents, I'm not a pro driver and I don't get sponsored a heap of tires so tire wear is a big thing to me. I have tried Pre-mount sweeps, Pre-mount Sweep EXP's, Pre-Mount Rides and Sorex that were mounted by another racer. As far as grip is concerned the sweeps seemed to have it a little more over the others when using the same temp tire, the Rides I have tried were really nice as well, BUT! both of these Pre-mounts I found to have shocking wear, all of my sweeps developed the death grove within 3-4 qualifiers, and the rides were even quicker, not good when you are on a budget, the Sorex's however have just lasted and lasted, I'm not up to pace as much as pros so those little milli second time variances I cannot put down to the tire, all I know is how the car feels. From what I have seen with the tires I have used is that the Sorex tires had a more fuller insert so roll over wasn't as bad, I feel that any of the tire brands would be quite comparable If mounted on the same rim with the same insert. I'm about to mount up some standard Sweep rubber on Speedmind rims with their full profile red insert and give them a burst, I'm thinking that the fuller insert will reduce the death groove and give me a budget tire with good wear and great grip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.