R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Anti dive

I've seen a lot of setups recently with people running a bit of anti dive at the front, normally 0.5mm difference.

In real terms, what does it actually do to the handling of the car - and more importantly, what are the pro's and con's?
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
I've seen a lot of setups recently with people running a bit of anti dive at the front, normally 0.5mm difference.

In real terms, what does it actually do to the handling of the car - and more importantly, what are the pro's and con's?
More response when initiating a turn off power, perhaps slightly less maximum grip, worse over the bumps.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Putting anti- dive in your car creates resistance against load transfer to the nose. It generally will make the car push on entry. I actually tested this Sat. to see if I liked it or not but my test was too aggressive with the amount. The next club race I plan to test the difference between 0 dive and more caster vs. My current caster setting and a bit of anti- dive.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

I have normally seen other drivers this run on high traction tracks to help smooth out the steering and prevent it from 'hooking'.

Dont forget, if you add the shim at the bulkheads you will also reduce caster.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anti-dive is generally used to make the car more stable under braking, as it helps to resist extreme pitching.

What Skiddins notes is also a very key point...

On most cars, where you set castor by the c-hub, changing the arm to include Anti-dive also reduces the castor angle, and raise the roll centre..so you get a combination of effects.. hence why, usually, adding Anti-dive also makes the car more responsive off centre, but feel to have a little less in the middle.
On the A700 (and other cars with ball joint suspension), because you can set the castor independently of other settings, you can remove the additional effects of adding anti-dive, making the car just stronger on the brakes.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Anti-dive is generally used to make the car more stable under braking, as it helps to resist extreme pitching.

On most cars, where you set castor by the c-hub, changing the arm to include Anti-dive also reduces the castor angle, and raise the roll centre..so you get a combination of effects.. hence why, usually, adding Anti-dive also makes the car more responsive off centre, but feel to have a little less in the middle.
On the A700 (and other cars with ball joint suspension), because you can set the castor independently of other settings, you can remove the additional effects of adding anti-dive, making the car just stronger on the brakes.

HiH
Ed
And I do have a a700 so think I'll give I a go!
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post

HiH
Ed
Thanks Ed. Your explanations are always complete and easy to understand. Good stuff as usual.