R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #346
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I will soon be racing on asphalt for the first time, and am trying to decide how I want to go about it. For tires, I think I'm going to give Sorex 36R's a try. I'm hoping if it's too cold early in the season, I can use warmers to make them hook up. I'm also curious about RP36's, especially after seeing Adrian praise them, but they're awfully expensive, and it seems like the future of Take-Off is still in doubt. The racing will take place on prepared parking lots, so I'm not quite sure how that will factor into everything. Does that sound like a reasonable place to start?

I'm still trying to figure out what traction compound to use. I'm not really looking to burn through tires just to gain and edge. I just want the car to hook up and be drivable so I can get some quality wheel time. If I lose because of tires or compound, but do so while maintaining tire longevity, that's fine. So, what's the story on traction compound for asphalt these days?

Also, is the Mazda Speed 6 the popular choice for bodies? The Mazda 6 served me quite well on carpet, but this whole idea of going outside... in the sun... I'm so lost.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If I were you, I wouls also get a set of 28r's. These work well in colder times of the year and work grat on carpet as well. The 36r's will work after temp's go over 80 degrees (approx.)--Al
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #348
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

My experience with Sorex is that they dont like a lot of heat or Paragon for longevity. The heat seems to cause them to come unglued and get too soft. Our local speedmind driver uses some brush on sauce he wont share but his tires seem to last a lot longer. If you have a poor setup the Sorex wont last long either. RP30s and CS27s seem to work very well outside but like you said their availability is in doubt.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I believe paragon is one of the more caustic of the tire sauces. I've used tq orange and jack the knife without problems. And as far as set-up goes, what tire lasts with a bad set-up? I can't really make a comparison as I have never used Rp's at all. I've used sorex from the time they were available and have never looked back. I have 28r's,32r's and 36r's. i rarely use the 32r's.--Al
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #350
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You will enjoy running the Sorex tires. Try FX or that whole buggy grip combination that alot of the guys use. Paragon is way to hot of a traction compound for the Sorex's on asphalt. DON'T USE IT. If you are looking for something simple and out of the can use the FX and warmers with both the 32's and 36's. I believe about 40 degrees C on the warmers, maybe a little cooler with the 32's. And even if they look like they are peeling they will still work. I have seen guys be fast with 32 and 36's with cords showing on them. Hope this helps.

RedRocket

Team West Coast Hobbies
NWIC 2008/09
RedRocketRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #351
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
Here in Saudi Arabia, we race in parking lot. I experiment using slicks and rubber tires and the only tire that I find suitable to use with my Pro4 Mamba 6900 powered electric TC is the HPI x-pattern tires which is 26mm width... is there any tires with the same characteristics in 24mm? Cheers
Man I still have a set of those...I loved hearing those tires in the corners. Sounded too real.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #352
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
I believe paragon is one of the more caustic of the tire sauces. I've used tq orange and jack the knife without problems. And as far as set-up goes, what tire lasts with a bad set-up? I can't really make a comparison as I have never used Rp's at all. I've used sorex from the time they were available and have never looked back. I have 28r's,32r's and 36r's. i rarely use the 32r's.--Al
The Take-Offs (CS/RP) handle them pretty well (bad setups). Sorex will blister really bad if you start squelling the tires.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #353
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How do you guys feel about RP tires combined with Paragon FX-II traction compound for low-traction night time outdoor asphalt/parking-lot racing (with a coating of root-beer).

I'm new to TC racing so I'm just now gathering parts. So far I have RP-24, RP-30 & RP-36 preglued tires (1 set of each). And the only traction compound found at the LHS is Paragon FX-II.

A buddy of mine also has Paragon Ground Effects, that he would let me mooch off him for each run, but I don't really know the difference. The FX-II can does say it offers more bite than Ground Effects...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #354
Tech Champion

I have used the sorex 24 premounted for 5 meetings (2 hours track time) and actually set my personal fastest time on the last meeting, which was 3rd quickest overall in stock.

Adding to this, until about the start of round 4, my suspension was set way too hard and had scrubbed them up/overheated the sidewalls quite a bit.

Once I had the suspension right, the car felt like it had a lot of on power steering and on a clean run it was ballistic

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #355
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

this was posted a while back:

Paragon GFX cold to cool weather and at night
Paragon FXII or Niftech for cool to warm weather
50/50 mix of FXII and Tire Tweak when its hot.
Straight Tire Tweak when it Blazing hot

After a run clean your tires with a little Buggy grip sprayed on a rag.

CS Seem to like ~15 of sauce time with the Paragon and Niftech products. When using Tweak let it sit as long as you can...the longer the better.

Sorex tires are about the same as above.

RP tires are very affected by Paragon and Niftech so sauce for no longer than ~5 min. Longer than that ands they get too soft and will get greasy late in a run. Tire Tweak is the best traction for RP's. As with CS tires let it sit as long as possible.
karlo511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #356
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

I Am after some adivce on rubber tyres

The track is a small twisty aspult basketball court in the UK the weather is fairly cold currenty about 16-19 the track is very low bite and haS been a bit dusty recently i am very unsure on what tyre choice to go for as the rear end is very loose on power using 13.5t brushless so i need a good tyre for low bite with ouT tyre warmers or addative (banned at the club)

Also reading through this thread i have seen WD40 mentiond alot is this used as a cheep adative or tyre cleaner if its used as a addative how is it good and how do i best apply it if nessacery (thinking on the cheep here) also is GT85 as good as WD40

GT85 = http://www.gt85.co.uk/

Sorry to resarect a old thread but there is alot of usefull info in here unlike a new thread

Thanks in advance
B-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #357
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Master View Post
I Am after some adivce on rubber tyres

The track is a small twisty aspult basketball court in the UK the weather is fairly cold currenty about 16-19 the track is very low bite and haS been a bit dusty recently i am very unsure on what tyre choice to go for as the rear end is very loose on power using 13.5t brushless so i need a good tyre for low bite with ouT tyre warmers or addative (banned at the club)

Also reading through this thread i have seen WD40 mentiond alot is this used as a cheep adative or tyre cleaner if its used as a addative how is it good and how do i best apply it if nessacery (thinking on the cheep here) also is GT85 as good as WD40

GT85 = http://www.gt85.co.uk/

Sorry to resarect a old thread but there is alot of usefull info in here unlike a new thread

Thanks in advance

Great questions! But, having attended the unique hardwood floor racing in Penicuik, Scotland, I believe you are going to learn more from the fast local drivers at your club.

Cheers!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.

Last edited by Still Bill; 06-03-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #358
Tech Master

Tons of good info for rubber tires- Need some info about foams: My Mini is 7700 Mamba powered sitting on 26mm GRP's. It is cloned after the Super Swift in RCCar action Handling is extremely loose- any suggestions to improve traction/handling on asphalt? Thanks in advance-Eric
bowl806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #359
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have been running RB30 premount for electric touring on blacktop. My suplpy has run out. I can't seem to find any. What should I use as a replacement?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #360
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sorex 36r

Hi,

What inserts work well for Sorex 36r for modified brushless, indoor asphalt track that is warm to cool temp?

thanks.
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote