R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #271
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I'm following u Losi

I have the same problem with the inner side of the tyre being cut like a razor after a meet.

Look forward to solution.

Cheers
vaZZo
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #272
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, if you running on large highspeed track, than yes you need insert with less airgap. I've the same problem with 039F insert on highspeed track.

If you running on small track and have same problem. Maybe you just have too much sidebit. Try to rise roll center, harder spring all around, stiff chassis.

As for Sorex A insert.. well I'm still waiting someone to answer if Sorex C is same thin as Yokomo 039, so additional question is, is Sorex A is same thick as Yokomo 037...
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #273
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

few questions
i run on a dusty low grip track the hot ticket is sorex 36's in summer and 32's in winter maybe 28's when its colder, last meet it was about 10 degrees celcius is that cold enough for 28's? i run 540 so over heating is rarely and issue.?
also as far as tire sauces whats the hot ticket for low grip dusty cold situations?

finally whats the deal with sorex inserts? i get the firm and medium but what does a, b and c mean? which has the most air gap and which is the thckest?
cheers guys.
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:03 AM   #274
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow there is some great info here, I can't wait to get to the track and start testing it out. I have had alot of inconsistency with my tires, part of the problem was my not baking the tires long enough, and I have not been consistent with my tire prep. I think I have a good starting point now, but I am always open to suggestions. I run at SIR, wich is high traction asphault, around 60F, I am using Sorex 36R Premounts.

1.Clean the with WD-40, Simple Green, or Buggy Grip
2.Apply the traction addative, I have Paragon FXII right now
3.Bake the tires with my CTX-W for 20min at 110F

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #275
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How critical are tire warmers?

I have been trying SXT 2.0 on RP-30's but I don't have tire warmers and it doesn't seem to be working as well as FXII. Yesterday I cleaned with WD-40, used FXII for 5-15 minutes prior to my race, wiped it 90% down (not totally dry) and ran 1-2 lap warm-up. Due to setup and driving, my car got better as the day went on (these tires were runs 3, 4, 5 and 6) but I also noticed they seemed to get better as the race progressed. I ran the gamut of temps from hot midday to comfortable just after dark under the lights. Tires came off pretty hot (maybe 100-120F, next time I'll temp gun them).

So now I'm wondering, will I do even better with warmers, or is that really a luxury item?
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #276
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopemike View Post
How critical are tire warmers?

I have been trying SXT 2.0 on RP-30's but I don't have tire warmers and it doesn't seem to be working as well as FXII. Yesterday I cleaned with WD-40, used FXII for 5-15 minutes prior to my race, wiped it 90% down (not totally dry) and ran 1-2 lap warm-up. Due to setup and driving, my car got better as the day went on (these tires were runs 3, 4, 5 and 6) but I also noticed they seemed to get better as the race progressed. I ran the gamut of temps from hot midday to comfortable just after dark under the lights. Tires came off pretty hot (maybe 100-120F, next time I'll temp gun them).

So now I'm wondering, will I do even better with warmers, or is that really a luxury item?
Tire warmers helps! It helps for the crucial 1st lap when the tires are not up to racing temps.The tire warming gets the tire up to temps quicker.

Maybe you should try it one day,borrow one from a buddy of your and see the difference, especially lap 1.

There's a reason why full scale racing use tire blankets...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #277
Tech Regular

How do warmers work with tire compound? Can they be used together? My understanding was that compound kind of chemically warmed the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C View Post
Tire warmers helps! It helps for the crucial 1st lap when the tires are not up to racing temps.The tire warming gets the tire up to temps quicker.

Maybe you should try it one day,borrow one from a buddy of your and see the difference, especially lap 1.

There's a reason why full scale racing use tire blankets...
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #278
Tech Master

The way I understand it is, by heating up the tires the compoud is able to soak into the pores of the rubber easier, while also bringing your tires up to racing temp. The best type of tire warmer is a can style, used along with a peice of paper shop towel (the blue ones), you apply your compound, cover with the paper towel, then slide on the warmers. The towel keeps the compound from running, and it soaks up some so you don't have to use as much later.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #279
Tech Regular

Interesting. I always wondered if they worked together or if warmers were a substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
The way I understand it is, by heating up the tires the compoud is able to soak into the pores of the rubber easier, while also bringing your tires up to racing temp. The best type of tire warmer is a can style, used along with a peice of paper shop towel (the blue ones), you apply your compound, cover with the paper towel, then slide on the warmers. The towel keeps the compound from running, and it soaks up some so you don't have to use as much later.
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #280
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys

Can someone help me with tires?

I'm using a foam tires on my tc4 with mamba7700
And I still spin out this foam tires

We us friends race on a parking lot with small tiny rocks and dusty

Any idea what good tires to use?

Thanx guys for al your help
HARDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #281
Tech Addict

I saw a post a while back on some tires, treaded actually, that excelled (if any tire can) in dusty parking lot conditions. Try searching "dusty parking lot" or something like that. Might have been in this thread, but I think it was in another. I don't have time now to search for you, sorry, but the info's there, hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #282
Tech Addict

Default Next Best Thing to Buggy Grip?

What's the next best thing to Buggy Grip for cleaning RP-30's? Most people have been stocked out of BG but now I see version 2 is forthcoming. Meanwhile what do I use, Zip Grip or Death Grip or something like that to clean? I'm looking for an alternative to motor spray.

Also I do like the Ragu stuff, anyone else using that now? I actually tried treating a set of old tires for a few days in a baggie... they didn't dissolve and I was surprised how good the traction was, at least the first and maybe 2nd run on them. I also like the cleaner that goes with it, but it gives me headaches.... The main downside is LHS does not stock it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default tire warmers

is a tissue better than the shop towels or is there a better wrap befor warming
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #284
Tech Addict

Thanks for posting here, just hoping to keep this thread going, as I've found it quite useful. BTW they took away the "delete post" button ... I wish they would put it back the best you can do is post your question here, then put in a "." or similar small character (has to be something) in the old post. No big deal, it's just nice to keep everything organized if you can.

I don't have warmers but saving to get some in another couple months. But for what it's worth, I notice a lot of blue (sometimes white) shop towel strips used in the A mainer pits. I don't think it matters too much - the idea is to hold the compound against the tires and fill up any "gap" between warmers and tires. The black warmer cans on the MM unit are just a little too big for RP-30's (but all tires can fit in them, thus they are "universal" choice). Hope this helps.

PS what Marcos posted is typical here in the mid-atlantic, SXT2.0 baked in with tire warmers. If you don't have warmers, on a sunny day you can put compound on them then put them out in the sun to bake, that works better than nothing. I even put them down directly on clean asphalt, and rotate occasionally unless the sun is directly overhead. Pretty cheesy cheapo but I think it helps!

The one thing to add is, clean your tires first. It does 2 things: you start with a clean base to add compound, which I think makes the tire run better next time (no loose rubber to slide on). Also it's less messy on your hands and pit table. There are 2 camps: motor spray, and non-motor spray. Some people say motor spray is fine, others say don't use solvents that "dry" out the tires. I tend to agree with the latter although I know world class drivers in both camps. I have limited experience in this area but I have used WD-40, buggy grip, Ragu (sold at www.teameamotorsports.com) and death grip. I have also heard of other things but not tried them yet, other than motor spray (which I think is also most expensive). If you look back through this whole thread you'll get some more recommendations on other compounds such as paragon and tire tweak. I have found Paragon GFXII to work well on RP-30's on my track, but only when it's relatively cool, otherwise the tires seem to get greasy (especially if I leave it on very long at all). I've been lately going with what some of the local pros use, which is usually SXT 2.0, although I prefer the Ragu, which (I suspect, just a wild guess) is something like the SXT 2.0 with the Ragu "cleaner" added in. It also seems to work very well, and in fact, I think maybe better than the SXT 2.0 especially without tire warmers, as it seems to "penetrate" better in less time.

That's a lot of info for someone just getting into this, but I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what works, so there it is. Read the rest of the thread, also maybe you'll get some more input too from more experienced drivers.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #285
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2056dennis View Post
is a tissue better than the shop towels or is there a better wrap befor warming
No, the great thing about the blue (paper) shop towel is they are super absorbant, and when you use the same peices over and over, eventually you wont have to put much if any addative on your tires there will already be plenty in the towel. I think a tissue isn't nearly as strong, by the second time you use them they will tear.