R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #196
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The info below shows how many runs you can get with consistent lap times. If you run the tires longer than listed below they will be 1-2/10ths slower. They will still feel good and be good for practice but they will be a bit slower on the clock.

There are some tracks that have really smooth asphalt and the tires may last longer but this is how long tires will stay fast on MOST tracks.

Any Sorex Tire:

Mod: 1 - 5 min run
19T: 1 to 2 - 5 min runs
Stock: 2 - 5 min runs

Any Take Off RP Series Tire:

Mod: 2 or 3 - 5 min runs
19T: 3 to 4 - 5 min runs
Stock: 4 - 5 min runs

Any Take Off CS Series Tire:

Mod: 4 - 5 min runs
19T: 4 to 6 - 5 min runs
Stock: 8 - 5 min runs

On most tracks Sorex and RP tires are equally fast. These are what you use if ultimate performance is your goal.

CS tires are 1-2/10ths slower on most tracks. Even though they are a tick slower, the CS tires are the most popular tire world wide. Lots of tracks have made it a spec tire to lower racer's costs.
Thanks alot, my local ashaplt track is really smooth, with the surface treated with sugar water. For just club racing ill run a tire that lasts the longest
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #197
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Sedan Tires

has anyone run the Team Orion Type C sedan slicks and if so what insert have you used? I am looking for a low cost long lasting high performance tire (I know Iam asking the impossible)

Rodney
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #198
Tech Apprentice

CS 27 tire with HPI red insert will last long and give medium performance.
High performance and long lasting do not go to together in one sentence.
sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #199
Tech Champion

I'm testing with double foam inserts.... they are still soft when I pinch it from outside but they look full ( no air gap look ).

I think having no air gap is a good thing afterall....... think when you pedaling bicycle with less tyre pressure, it would be easier to pedal when the tyre is full right ? Same benefit to rc cars, you get more top speed and less work on motor when the tires have less air gap.

Last edited by asw7576; 03-01-2006 at 10:00 PM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Can you buy 26mm or 28mm rubber tires?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrent
Can you buy 26mm or 28mm rubber tires?
HPI may still have some around but they are old not so grippy compounds. Narrower tires have less rolling resistance and more steering. Back in 1996-97 when Touring car rules were getting laid out Yokomo came out with 22mm tires when we were all running 26's. The 22's were WAY faster but made the car look ridicoulous...Like motorcycle tires mounted on a real car. All the sanctioning bodies agreed on 24mm as the minimum width and since then all racing tire manufacturers have made only 24mm tires.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #202
Tech Addict

Take off used to make 21mm and 26mm tyres in the older type A,B and C compounds.

Most people over here used to run wide rears and narrow fronts.
Nathan Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #203
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
Most people over here used to run wide rears and narrow fronts.

Thats what I wanted to try,a wider tire in the rear.

Thanks guys for your post,
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #204
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default rp or cs tire for cool temps and low traction

Adrian,

I understand that you guys never run in the temps of the northeast in the spring..around 60 degrees but can you give a suggestion on tires from the rp or cs line (premounts or glue your own) for cool temps and low to med traction parking lot tracks.

I have used cs27 in the past but they never seem to have a good mix of traction and steering until the temp gets higher in late spring.

Jamie
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #205
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna555
Adrian,

I understand that you guys never run in the temps of the northeast in the spring..around 60 degrees but can you give a suggestion on tires from the rp or cs line (premounts or glue your own) for cool temps and low to med traction parking lot tracks.

I have used cs27 in the past but they never seem to have a good mix of traction and steering until the temp gets higher in late spring.

Jamie
Actually we race outdoors in temps as cold as 40 deg during January in Florida. We either run CS22GL with Paragon FXII or run CSD27GL with Paragon Ground Effects or FXII. The 27's will overheat with paragon in warm weather but in cold weather its great.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #206
Tech Fanatic

Default ray

Hey Ray,

Great thread you started here. All this complexity is why I love premounted handouts.

For the Tamiya nats you will want to run the B3 tire. I liked the original B and hated the B2, but the B3 seems good. The A tire will not handle the heat at the nats, except maybe early morning. The tires are best on their first run and ok on the second, but after that, throw them out. I can't recall what inserts I ran, but they were likely a thin firm yok.

Last year they used RP tires at reedy as the handout. They might be quicker on the first run than CS27 (maybe)..but they are way slower on the second run. My second run RP tires were about 4 tenths slower per lap last year at reedy. The CS27s maybe lost a tenth between the first and second run.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #207
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrent
Thats what I wanted to try,a wider tire in the rear.

Thanks guys for your post,
The reason no one does it anymore is because it creates understeer.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #208
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Martin, I qualified for the Nats this year, but I dont think I am going again. I did just attain a TA05 though to replace my 415ms. For the one TCS race I do a year , I just dont run enough rubber tire to be able to get the hang of that one-way. The TA05 at least gives me a diff option on carpet.

I still have my B3's I bought for last years Nats. I'll see you on foams at Vegas!! Thanks for the tips!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #209
Tech Champion

No one uses one ways on asphalt anymore...its all spools. Its faster and easier to drive.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #210
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Adrian is right. Spools really are more consistent and generally faster especially in extreme temperature conditions (hot and cold).

I ran one-ways and spools together early last season and by mid-season stuck with a spool: it allows you to drive so much more aggressively and consistently especially in traffic.

Granted, a one way can look and feel super smooth around the track, but maintaining a consistent line is more difficult.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote