R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #181
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Take Off inserts are made by Take Off to fit thier tires. No others are exactly the same. Yokomo Med Thin molded inserts are the closest but are just a little too big in diameter.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #182
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Ray the HPI greens are very good for outdoor asphalt with a stock motor. Even though they seem to fill the tire they will produce excellent traction. The HPI reds (you called them orange, and yes they are orange-lol) are a little too soft IMO. They would probably be perfect for the T1M or Yokomo mini sedans.

You can purchase the same inserts that are in the premounts- they are CS mediums I believe. The Sorex thick/firm is pretty close too.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #183
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Thanks guys!!

I ran rubber tire carpet last night and this was the first time I felt like I had a lot of steering. This was also the first time I ran a tire with sizeable air gap. I ran sticky tires a couple months ago, but with full inserts and the car had NO grip o matter the set-up chnages. I in my ignorance think this is due to the air gap so I want to run the Tamiya A's wit more air gap-but a firm insert.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #184
Tech Champion

Air gap is your friend

Try Sorex 28R with Yokomo Med thin molded inserts

Or

RP30GL's out of the bag.

Both are very fast and have loads of air gap.

Unless you have a lifetime supply of Tamiya type A tires for free I would skip them. They are the best Tamiya has but they are WAY behind the times. All the guys that work at Tamiya in CA run CS27 or RP 30 tires at club races.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #185
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Air gap is your friend

Try Sorex 28R with Yokomo Med thin molded inserts

Or

RP30GL's out of the bag.

Both are very fast and have loads of air gap.

Unless you have a lifetime supply of Tamiya type A tires for free I would skip them. They are the best Tamiya has but they are WAY behind the times. All the guys that work at Tamiya in CA run CS27 or RP 30 tires at club races.
Thanks Adrian again. I am running type A's because of practicing for the Tamiya TCS race next month. The only month I run rubber tires out of 12!!!

I am trying to start a rubber tire class up here, but no one really wants to do it. ITs a big class in Chicago (IRP) and also Trackside where foams are big too.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #186
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
Ray what TCS race will you be running rubber tires on carpet? I didn't know any of the TCS races where held on carpet.
And the Trackside TCS Race, one week after Cinci this year, is also carpet for all the classes except Rally Car. The Rally Class, a trackside TCS exclusive, is on the indoor dirt track. And at the Trackside TCS race, it is a two day affair with triple A Mains on Sunday. Come join the fun
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #187
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Thanks Adrian again. I am running type A's because of practicing for the Tamiya TCS race next month. The only month I run rubber tires out of 12!!!

I am trying to start a rubber tire class up here, but no one really wants to do it. ITs a big class in Chicago (IRP) and also Trackside where foams are big too.
Thanks for bringing this thread back, Ray! I'm building my TA05 for the Trackside TCS race right now and am very interested to read what people feel is the way to go with Tamiya Type A's on carpet. Something else you may consider is asking on the Trackside thread in the WI/IL forum. Something I was gonna try. I'm sure some of the TCS guys hang out there.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #188
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang

I understand now...Get some Yok Thin Med and Thin Firm inserts. Measure your wheels OD and the OD of the ribs inside the wheel. Run the smallest diameter wheel you can. Test how the tires work with stock wheels vs. with the inner ribs cut out.

This was what we had to do prior to every race before premounts came out
Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #189
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, this year will be my first season running out door.

As it stands I dont know anything about rubber tires

So i got some questions to help me fill in the gaps:
1. How long can i expect to get tires to last in Mod, and 19t?
2. I would like to learn all the basic termioligy
3. How do i start chosing a tire to get a solid base tire, and then how do i chose a better tire.

thanks alot guys, I did a search and couldnt find the right info i wanted
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #190
Tech Addict

Here's another- http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78413

Between these 2 threads ALL your questions are answered.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #191
Tech Fanatic

There is still 1 question that didnt get anwsered for me, that is: How long will i get rubber tires to last in Mod and 19T, on ashalt

Thanks!
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #192
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_kipper
There is still 1 question that didn't get answered for me, that is: How long will i get rubber tires to last in Mod and 19T, on ashalt

Thanks!
The info below shows how many runs you can get with consistent lap times. If you run the tires longer than listed below they will be 1-2/10ths slower. They will still feel good and be good for practice but they will be a bit slower on the clock.

There are some tracks that have really smooth asphalt and the tires may last longer but this is how long tires will stay fast on MOST tracks.

Any Sorex Tire:

Mod: 1 - 5 min run
19T: 1 to 2 - 5 min runs
Stock: 2 - 5 min runs

Any Take Off RP Series Tire:

Mod: 2 or 3 - 5 min runs
19T: 3 to 4 - 5 min runs
Stock: 4 - 5 min runs

Any Take Off CS Series Tire:

Mod: 4 - 5 min runs
19T: 4 to 6 - 5 min runs
Stock: 8 - 5 min runs

On most tracks Sorex and RP tires are equally fast. These are what you use if ultimate performance is your goal.

CS tires are 1-2/10ths slower on most tracks. Even though they are a tick slower, the CS tires are the most popular tire world wide. Lots of tracks have made it a spec tire to lower racer's costs.

Last edited by AdrianM; 01-24-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #193
Tech Initiate

I use HPI A038 ADVAN Belted Radials with medium hard HPI pro molded inserts for my asphalt club racing. Havent found a better tire to date. Actally 90% of the club runs on em. We run mainly stock with some mod racing as well.
spidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:11 AM   #194
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidude
I use HPI A038 ADVAN Belted Radials with medium hard HPI pro molded inserts for my asphalt club racing. Havent found a better tire to date. Actally 90% of the club runs on em. We run mainly stock with some mod racing as well.
Where are you racing? Those tires are OLD SKOOL!
Old 01-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #195
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Where are you racing? Those tires are OLD SKOOL!
In Barbados. http://www.thebrca.com/

And as old skool as they are they still work
spidude is offline   Reply With Quote