Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Thanks Hector.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #137
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry...I forgot you are from Carpetland. I have the opposite problem you have. I only run Foam once a year at the Snowbirds...lol!

If you have to run Tamiya tires at TamNats you might as well run only Tam tires. For Sedans I hear the Type A is best.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
. For daytime asphalt racing that is usually the Take Off CS27GL (all weather), Sorex 36R(hot weather) or the new Take Off RP30GL (warm weather) or RP36GL (hot weather).

Paragon GFX cold to cool weather and at night
Paragon FXII or Niftech for cool to warm weather
50/50 mix of FXII and Tire Tweak when its hot.
Straight Tire Tweak when it Blazing hot

Some great info here Thanks alot. i have a few questions about what aprox is your track temp and/or air temp at each level you state , your idea of cool and mine can be way different an actual temp range to go by would help for track temp and/or air temp. track temp would be best as sun and everything else plays into it and just because the air is XXtemp doesnt make the track the same for that air temp all the time.
snopro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #139
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Sorry...I forgot you are from Carpetland. I have the opposite problem you have. I only run Foam once a year at the Snowbirds...lol!

If you have to run Tamiya tires at TamNats you might as well run only Tam tires. For Sedans I hear the Type A is best.
I have yet to run carpet. Vegas will be my first time! I'm running rubber classes though. No foamies for me.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #140
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

Our local track is very particular since the asphalt is quite coarse with big gaps in between the stones and its usually also dusty, any ideas of what traction compounds can be used in such a situation.

Bye for now.
Pro Models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #141
Tech Addict

Generally if it's dusty any traction compound I've tried will just pick up the dust onto the tire... In paking lots I usually just run em dry and try to hang on for the first couple of turns.

Speaking of rubber on Carpet what are some good combos? I know up in Stockton they've had good results with pit 27s with hpi green inserts (think I got that right). I ran TakeOff CS27Ws and they had too much bite after the 3 minute mark...
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #142
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro31
Some great info here Thanks alot. i have a few questions about what aprox is your track temp and/or air temp at each level you state , your idea of cool and mine can be way different an actual temp range to go by would help for track temp and/or air temp. track temp would be best as sun and everything else plays into it and just because the air is XXtemp doesnt make the track the same for that air temp all the time.

We are down and florida for us a cool asphalt temp usually 110 to 120 after that generally we see temps upto 150! We get 80 deg sometimes maybe 6 days out of the year when ambient temps are in the mid 60's to mid 70's.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #143
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Models
Hi Guys,

Our local track is very particular since the asphalt is quite coarse with big gaps in between the stones and its usually also dusty, any ideas of what traction compounds can be used in such a situation.

Bye for now.
I'd try wd-40.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #144
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedxl
If the spool monster ate it I would take a diff and lock it down! I have run there and you do need a spool and if not atleast a diff before a oneway.
There are 2to3 areas where you to slow down too much and if you want to pass someone you'll need brakes there, especially the hair pin at the end of the straight away and the left hander after the chicane section!

Lock that diff dude!
Thanks for the input. I'm also one of these guys who's focusing on Tamiya racing, so that's why I mentioned the spool monster (although now Tamiya makes a spool for some of its cars, I think). Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck locking down the front diff on my TB-02, as the diff screws are kind of weak and tend to shear. I'll have to give it another try and/or use a thicker diff lube.

Andy
adavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavid
Thanks for the input. I'm also one of these guys who's focusing on Tamiya racing, so that's why I mentioned the spool monster (although now Tamiya makes a spool for some of its cars, I think). Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck locking down the front diff on my TB-02, as the diff screws are kind of weak and tend to shear. I'll have to give it another try and/or use a thicker diff lube.

Andy

Andy a quick spool config is take all the diff balls out! clean all the grease off aswell as the diffrings. Take a header card from say a trinity brush package. Glue them to the diff rings tighten the screw down all the way and back it out 1/8 to 1/4 turn so there is less stress on the diff screw. Trust me it works!!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #146
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rigg
Generally if it's dusty any traction compound I've tried will just pick up the dust onto the tire... In paking lots I usually just run em dry and try to hang on for the first couple of turns.

Speaking of rubber on Carpet what are some good combos? I know up in Stockton they've had good results with pit 27s with hpi green inserts (think I got that right). I ran TakeOff CS27Ws and they had too much bite after the 3 minute mark...
tony... i ran the CS27Ws all around up in gilroy with TQ orange as the traction compound. i left the sauce on there way too long (about 4-5mins) and my car was on two wheels in some of the corners. someone recommended running a bead of glue on the side (to reduce the side bite). and wiping off the TQ orange after 2-3 mins of sitting on the tires.

my car was fine for the quals.. but for the mains.. traction came up like a *&%@*#%

id like to try sorex 28s next time im up there.. but i do like the ease of use with the preglued CS27s
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #147
Tech Adept

Quote:
Andy a quick spool config is take all the diff balls out! clean all the grease off aswell as the diffrings. Take a header card from say a trinity brush package. Glue them to the diff rings tighten the screw down all the way and back it out 1/8 to 1/4 turn so there is less stress on the diff screw. Trust me it works!!
Cool. I will try it. Thanks for your help.

Andy
adavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #148
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Adrian-The tire tweek you are talking about, do they still sell that? For some reason I thought they stopped selling it or something. Is the tire tweek 2000 the same stuff?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
We are down and florida for us a cool asphalt temp usually 110 to 120 after that generally we see temps upto 150! We get 80 deg sometimes maybe 6 days out of the year when ambient temps are in the mid 60's to mid 70's.

Hi thanks for the info i hope that AdrianM can confirm that is what he class's as the temps he put down ,as this is what i mean calling it warm and stuff can get fuzzy from one person to another.

I live in canada i call those temps wicked hot
snopro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #150
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1
Adrian-The tire tweek you are talking about, do they still sell that? For some reason I thought they stopped selling it or something. Is the tire tweek 2000 the same stuff?
Trinity still sells it. Its is quite popular for rubber tires outdoors. Dont forget to get a bottle of buggy grip at the same time. That gets rid of the greasiness of the Tweak during the first few laps.

I race with SpeedXL all the time. His temp ranges are right on. Keep in mind that the CS27 has a huge temp range. We have used it on 60deg F (Reedy Race 2003) to 160 Deg F tracks (Worlds Warm Up 2004) with great results.

I run CS22's when the air temp and track temp are about equal, i.e. at night, and less than 80 Deg F.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote