R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER
Default Airtronics Synthisized Reciever problems

Has anyone used the new Airtronics recievers? I got the MX3s back in july for the Hitec Race. I had so many problem with glitching it was amazing i finished the race that weekend. Then I went to SoCal and the glitching was so bad it would put me in to the wall either coming off the turn entering the back straight or midway down the back straight.

So I took the system back to Hobby People and they gave me a new one. I went back to So Cal last week ( I live in San Diego) and the exact same problem. So i went to Airtronics and they said the modified the reciever. Went to So Cal and same problem. I called them and went back and they gave me reciever #3. Same problem. Now when I put my non synthisized reciever in its fine. So it seams like a design issue. Im so frustrated. I thought of getting a Novak Extra but for what when I bought the whole system from Airtronics. Im still dealing with them right now. I havent been able to practice at all much less race

Has anyone else had this type of experience
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Myself and a friend had them when they first came out. They sucked and we sold them. Waiting for the Spektrum stuff to come out now.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

GTIRACER,

I too am having issues with the new Airtronics Synthesized receiver. I purchased an M8 Synthesized from Ultimate Hobbies about 2 months ago. I purchased an extra Novak Synthesized receiver at the same time. I put the Novak synthesized receiver in my TC, and just recently built a new oval car, which got the synthesized Airtronics receiver. I ran both cars last night at SoCal, and had no issues with the Novak receiver in the TC.

Lat night was the first outing for the oval car, and it was a nightmare with the airtronics receiver. I was having glitches coming off of two, all down the back stretch, going into 3, and one particularly nasty glitch between 3 & 4, that sent my car straight into the outside wall, shattering a graphite bumper. Cha Ching!

I reconfigured the antenna several different ways, to no avail. All my leads and wires are short, and nothing is too close to the motor or speed control. (I'm an EE with a background in fields and radiating antenna design, so I'm pretty familiar with these issues.) I finally swapped out the airtronics receiver for a Novak XXL with crystals (my only backup), and all my glitches went away.

I know that SoCal is a rough environment for electrical noise. My engineering background has me convinced that there are some noisy fluorescent ballasts inside that building that aren't helping things. However, I have been able to setup other cars to run there, and so have many others. So, done right, it's possible.

Right now, I'm pointing my finger squarely at the Airtronics receiver. The Airtronics transmitter module seems to be stable enough to work with my other gear, so I don't think it's contributing, but it could also be an interaction between the two. I know that sounds insane, since one would assume that they would be designed, and tested, to work together properly. But . . .

Who did you contact at Airtronics? Anybody else or is it just us?
Mr.Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Ive talked to the Techs there a few times and ive been there 2x. Im going to have to drive up again from SD..I really want to get my money back. I broke a suspension arm and bent a axel..all from glitching putting me in the wall...

Im going to go up probably on thursday. I would get a Navak reciever but who should have to pay for something else?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:07 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have the exact same crap going on with my MX3s at SoCal. I posted back on the SoCal thread...

I took it to Airtronics and they "repaired" the reciever...same crap. I basically destroyed the whole front end of my EVOIII. It was a nice car, but it's gone into the wall at full speed a few too many times...now it's a parts car.

I actually think it's more related to the transmitter. I think it's just got lousy range. I can only go about 150 feet or so before it starts acting crazy and glitching. It does seem to be better with an XXtra or a crystal reciever, but not much.

My MX3s has something else weird going on...if you wiggle it or set it down (not hard) the car will glitch. I tried swapping the tray and batts from the MX3...all the different combinations added up to this:

The MX3 never, ever glitches from movement...the MX3S will always glitch from any touching/moving/tapping on the batts...even with the tray hanging out and the transmitter sitting on a pillow and the batteries duct taped to the tray.

I totally agree that SoCal has some RF problems. I love racing there, but I'm tired of destroying parts...and pissing money and time down the drain to fix a problem that nobody seems to be able to identify.

I think that if the transmitter was working properly, there wouldn't be a big issue, but if it's weak (like the MX3S apparently is...) and there's noise, then you're in for some heartache.

Nothing like seeing 500-600 bucks worth of your stuff hurtling into a brick wall at 30+ MPH at WOT...and the only way to know if it's going to happen again is to do it all over again.

Bobby at Airtronics is trying to help...you might try and call him. Maybe at least he won't think that I'm the only one. (Edit: In his defense, he never said I was. He's been very helpful and candid.)

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 01-06-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Hmmm now ya tell me!! I have a deposit on an MX3s .. got a sweet deal... I hope it doesn't turn out to be problematic..
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Bunch of us run the sythesized stuff here in Florida and have had no problems.

I have had the module in the radio and the recivers since they came out. You cant blame novak every car has a sweet spot to mount eqipment you'll just have to find it.

On my schumacher I placed double sided tape and then a layer of lexan ( piece of scrap fron a body) then another layer of tape them mount the reciver this will give some insulation.
Also not I had this equipment installed on a FT Tc3 for 3 years now on my Mi2, I replaced the speedo because due time and newer tecnology.

Try mounting it the way I said. I know alot of people running this equipment with out a problem!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

THAT IS WHY I BOUGHT THE SPECTRUM SYSTEM, I had a major problem with my M-8 and Novak Switch which forced me to ge thte Helios which in turn did away with any glitching. I did however find out right before I got my Helios that one of my King Pins on my SD was loose and when the car got up to speed it was creating a ton of RF chatter, which was probably the culpret to my glitch festival I had with the M-8 but my M-8 was 4 years old and some one offered me $$$ which with a little of my own got me the Helios (awsome radio) (still trying to figure out all the posssible functions)(this radio is insane)(it plays tunes)(and you can adjust your steering and throttle curve with it) (HOW SWEET IS THAT). I haven't given up on Airtronics Transmitter and Receivers I still have a MX3 (as back up) & I still love there Servos.
Just my two pennies.
Take Care All & GOD Bless,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default my knee-jerk reaction to this

I got an Airtronics MX-3s as a Christmas Gift (I bought it for myself) from Tower. I didn't need a new radio, but the $25 off offer had an affect on my judgement. However, after reading some of these posts, I decided to ship it back this morning before 30 days had expired since I hadn't used it.

In a couple of weeks an indoor asphalt track will open in my area, but if I waited until then, I wouldn't be able to return the radio sine Tower allows only 30 days.

I have an MX-3 that I used outdoors all summer without any glitching problems at all, so I figured a Systhesized version would be a bonus. And I've always used Airtronics (used to have an M8), but, if I waited until this new indoor track opened, and discovered that my MX-3s had glitching problems that I couldn't resolve, I would not be a happy camper.

I realize that the experiences of a few people aren't the basis of a true stastical sample, but I figure I can always buy the MX-3s later if I can demonstrate that it works in the new facility without any glitching.

Better safe than sorry.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Cool

Tell you one thing that is very cool...Airtronics customer service has been VERY helpful and proactive. As frustrating as this has been, I don't feel like I'm out in the cold. I get the distinct impression that they're as concerned about it as I am.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe
Tell you one thing that is very cool...Airtronics customer service has been VERY helpful and proactive. As frustrating as this has been, I don't feel like I'm out in the cold. I get the distinct impression that they're as concerned about it as I am.
Im sure they are very busy because they havent been very quick to call me back. Im not holding that against them though. Im just frustated from not being able to go race my car or even practice. Im tired of breaking my car and tired of trying to drive it while it keeps trying to go ever where but straight ...I know they will help me..
Old 01-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Hi guys,

I just bought a set of MX3S (75Mhz) and have the same problem.
Glitching when I move the AA batteries around. Even when I shake the TX or tap it on the battery casing.

Will the problem go away if I use a rechargeable pack?

I have not used the system in my car yet, so no idea how it performs in actual use.
Has Airtronics come back with an answer on your problems?

Can the glitching be solved by using a normal RX with crystals?

Cheers.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

My friend has just the airtronics synthesized receiver and hes never had a glitching problem with it, but he uses a novak unit in his M8. What channels are you guys running? 27mhz or 75? I know rc driver did a review, and didnt have a problem, maybe someone should email them and ask if after a while they had the same problem,and if they did, then maybe airtronics should do a recall on the mx3s and have a little more engineering with it.

I was thinking about getting that radio, but i got a ko instead.
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader
Hi guys,

Glitching when I move the AA batteries around. Even when I shake the TX or tap it on the battery casing.

I have not used the system in my car yet, so no idea how it performs in actual use.

Cheers.

wow!lord vader also bought one!!! in malaysia no need synthesized one.
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader
Hi guys,

Cheers.
In you case... I think it is caused by the connector from batt pack to the Tx itself... probably the connection is not very good thus when you move/tap the batt... the power to the tx is distrupted for a short while and came back again... and the result is glitch..

I do have the same prob with my M8 but managed to solved it but re-applying the solder to the connector...dry-join..

To do this... means a pain in the @SS... you've to take your radio apart...and make sure you know what you're doing and able to put it back again.... remember... 10 screw out....10 screw in... but if 10 screw out in the end you need 11 screw... then I dunno lah...