R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #916
Tech Adept

It depends on how many packs you have and how many you use on race day.

I used 4 packs for 5 races. So my first pack is already discharded by the time I charge it for the last race.

As I have about 2000mAh left after a race it does take a long time. So I discharge it also on my way home. That way I'm always sure my packs are in good shape.

Once in a while I put them on a equalizer tray between race days.
MBreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #917
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any idea where to get the V2 in the US?
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:05 AM   #918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
Any idea where to get the V2 in the US?
Horizon once they are available. They are the only official distibutor in the US.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #919
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Horizon has them listed as coming in early november

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPI1002
Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #920
Tech Regular

I have just ordered one from precisionrc. The new V2 model. Has anyone got one of these as yet because after I ordered it I started to hear issues regarding IB cells? Was this on the first version as the V2 has several different settings including setting the cut off to 1.1V per cell which would be an average of 6.6 V which I believe would be safe. Then just throw the cells on my Smart Tray to finalise the equalisation. Another thing I noticed is that the BM V2 has a discharge setting which is a constant discharge, CP mode
CP: Constant Power. When the voltage drops, load on the pack is increased. This will give you
the quickest discharge possible. Use this for example when cycling fully charged packs.

Does that mean that the pack will actually discharge quicker if you are in a hurry? If no one else owns one of these yet I will be sure to give you my reviews of the New V2!
WRXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:30 PM   #921
Tech Adept

I discharde my IB's on the 1.0 setting. Just to be safe. 1.1 would be even safer.

I always use the CP mode as it is a bit faster, But I haven't checked how much difference it makes.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #922
Tech Adept

I use the V2 with the CV mode, it works verry verry good. I set the voltage to 0.9V... Never had a issue with voltage in 1 cell that would be to low. Afther that I discharge them on my team wave lightning (just before charging them again).

-Hugo
hugovdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #923
Tech Regular

My V2 just arrived and I have an IB on there as I type. The thing is heaps smaller than I expected and by the look of things will take a while to discharge a pack that has just seen a race I guess once the pack is discharged and equalized on my smart tray and charged back up I will be able to tell if this little unit is of any real benifit But all in all it was worth it just for the awesome red backlight!

Well it didn't take all that long to do my first pack, maybe 15 mins but as soon as I put it on the smart tray one of the cells lights went straight out meaning it had taken that cell below .9v and I have the spintec set up to cut off at 1.1v

I feel I have been mislead Erik, false friggin advertising!!!

Last edited by WRXTC; 11-01-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #924
Tech Adept

Did you check the setting?

Set the cut-off to 1.1v and then start the discharging.

Check the cut-off with a volt meter. Mine (like yours) is accurate to the hundreths of a volt in cut-off. Never missed a beat.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #925
Tech Regular

I did check the setup and I have it set to cut off at 1.1v per cell. pack stopped discharging at 6.6v but one of the cells was still taken below .9v, my smart tray NEVER LIES!!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #926
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTC
I did check the setup and I have it set to cut off at 1.1v per cell. pack stopped discharging at 6.6v but one of the cells was still taken below .9v, my smart tray NEVER LIES!!

its 1.1v per cell AVERAGE (i.e 6.6V on a 6 cell pack). you should know it is not possible to make each cell cut off at 1.1v when you discharge in series, it should of be plain obvious.

sounds like your pack is very unmatched - can't blame spintec for that.
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 AM   #927
Tech Initiate

If you think 6,6v cut-off is still to low, then select 7 cells and 1,0v cut-off per cell.
Stevenkoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:55 AM   #928
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
its 1.1v per cell AVERAGE (i.e 6.6V on a 6 cell pack). you should know it is not possible to make each cell cut off at 1.1v when you discharge in series, it should of be plain obvious.

sounds like your pack is very unmatched - can't blame spintec for that.
My packs are matched by one of the best matchers in the country. Erik himself claimed (if you bothered to read the whole thread) that the spintec pretty much matches each cell and will not drop a cell below the 0.9v which is total BULLSHIT and false advertising. However I have not recharged my packs yet so it will be interesting to see if the spintec actually does bring the life back to my packs. I haven't lost faith in the product just yet

Steven,
That's actually a great idea I i'll do that.

Last edited by WRXTC; 11-02-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #929
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WRXTC, do you direct solder your packs or do you use plugs? If you direct solder and the one cell that went out immediately on you smart tray is one of the ends cells, that cell could be going bad. It is a known fact the end cells on a direct solder pack have those cells go bad first because of all the heat it gets from being soldered to all the time. If you use plugs it could be you just have a bad cell, it does happen. I am not defending Spintec but it is discharging the pack as a whole, not each cell individually. The smart tray is doing that for you .
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #930
Tech Adept

If the pack cuts off at 6.6v then it does exactly what it should do.

But I agree with BlueR1 that your packs must have become very unmatched not matter how well they were matched when you bought them.
It is only natural that as soon as you assemble the pack it will start getting unmatched.

I'm also using Spintec's ICC (Individual Cell Charger) and with this baby it becomes very clear that your cells will drift apart. You can see it with every charge. But the ICC will slow this process down as it doesn't under- or overcharge any cell.
Luckily I can re-match my cells as well with the ICC