R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2005, 01:39 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

It`s around a couple of hours for a fully discharged pack
but this was designed to do it straight after your race though.
i did get caught out twice that it had finished doing it`s buissness so it just sat there doing bugger all

1 point `don`t leave it on the battery` after it`s finished because it will keep pulling current out to power the display & take them right down, this is another reason why there should be a `idiot light` or `audible sound` to tell you it`s finished ,

audible could be
`I HAVE FINISHED YOU MUPPET, PAY ATTENTION`

least the runtime has gone up with capacity, don`t forget this thingy goes down to .85 (5.10v/p) matchers go down to .90 (5.40v/p)
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #77
Tech Adept

PizzaDude, I am not sure what causes this. I agree it looks a bit weird that the voltage drops a little, while at the same time you notice more power at the track. It could be explained by the fact that the voltage is measured in the cooling-down period, when no current is running. The internal resistance data is based on both on-load (35amps) and off-load (no current) measurements, so this might be a better number to judge track feel. Mr. Jolly's explanation also could be right

Harris, you're right. It is not really possible to compare numbers with conventional dischargers. Because the Coolflex current is much easier on the cells (recovery time) measured runtimes can be a little higher.

Mr. Jolly, I don't think it is bad to leave it connected for some time after it has finished. The display and electronics consume very little current. Lots of people just leave it connected overnight without any problems.
We will make a 'muppet' version for you
Erik Jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Does anyone on this thread have a link to a hobby store that will ship to the U.S.??
rcfiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 AM   #79
Tech Adept

rcfiend, please try one of our European distributors (listed on www.spintec.nl). Maybe others can advise online shops?

Also I have to correct my previous statement that it is no problem to leave the Battery Manager connected overnight. Although the current consumpion is very low, it still puts a load on the pack. So I advise to disconnect it within a few hours after the cycle has finished.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:01 AM   #80
TCR
Tech Addict

just checked the site, can you give us any information about your new charger.

curious about pricing??
looks awsome
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #81
Tech Adept

Hi TCR,
All information available at the moment is on the website. We are now in the process of testing and programming the I.C.C. I expect we can ship the first batch to our distributors end of April.

First results of the Individual Cell Charging are promising!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #82
Tech Initiate

Default SPINTEC CELL MANAGER

Hi Erik,
I have been reading this thread and have a question, as I understand it, after finishing a race we should take our cells out of the car and put them straight on the spintec ? is it ok to race them again that day or should we leave them, or is it ok to take them out of the car, put them on the spintec and discharge down to .85 and then leave the cells like this untill we race again next week ? any advise would be great.
Devon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:13 AM   #83
Tech Adept

Hi Devon Racer,
You're right, as soon as you're finished racing put them on the Battery Manager. Ideally you should have a couple of packs, so you only use them ones a day. This is an investment, but it pays of in the long term because your cells will last longer. If you do use them again on the same day, first let the Battery Manager do its maintenance job and make sure the pack is completely cool before charging again.

Hope this is of any help to you!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #84
Tech Initiate

Default BATTERY MANAGER

Hi Erik,
Thanks for the reply, I bought a battery manager today and used it for the 1st time. I used it on a set of cells I used last week, it took quite a while to discharge them even though they had been used in a race. I have a 20 amp discharge tray which discharges a set of bats really quickly, why does the spintech take so long when it is a 35 amp devise. I monitored the cell voltage while it was in use and the individual cell voltage didnt drop for ages and when it did it was only very slowly? I race in 27t stocks this is the results from this 1st test
run time 131
voltage 6.71
IR 36.5
energy 26.3
capacity 1165
is this good numbers ?
also after the bats come off the spintech is it ok to put them on a novak smart tray and take them down to .80 per cell ?
many thanks Devon racer
Devon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Hi Devon Racer

Ive had one of these for about a month now. The reason it takes longer to discharge is because it does not discharge continuously but keeps shutting off after short discharge periods which gives the battery enough time to cool down and stop heat build up. The following is a quote from the spintec web site.

"(a block of 35 amps followed by a cooling-down period)"

What I do is discharge with the battery manager after racing and then the night before I will be charging I put my cells on my Novak tray and take the cells down to 0.3v.

My packs do seem puchier since I started using the battery manager. I usally race 19 spec.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

You must remember this gadjet had mod drivers in mind with the discharge time
there`s not a lot left after a modified race , but when you use it for stock it will be forever discharging
use the spinny thingy to take them down
then tray them how you would do normally
figures
are they good or bad
you need to keep a eye on the figures for that particular pack
devon racer cos you are discharging after your race just keep in mind them figure`s for that pack & compare next time round

done my testing with 1 pack of cells done around 4 complete cycles the figures did change for the better R/T,IR & capacity were the best ones

the reason it pulses cos it`s nicer to the cells
after a modified race the cells are already hot after said discharge ,the last thing you want to do is put them straight on to a 30-35 amp continious discharge cos then they will get even more hotter,
that`s where the spintech comes in , the pulses` still give reliable readings & conditioning with out cooking your cells (heat is bad ) heat is based on 33`s being used.
IB cells apparently like heat ,but i`ll wait & see
Old 03-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #87
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Eric,

I've got a Rayspeed discharger and plan to get a Spintec. Does the Spintec replace my Rayspeed? Do i have to put the battery on the Rayspeed after the Spintec has finished?

Actually, can you tell me the best way to discharge my battery.

Other question: Will your charger have the same option as the Orion advantage charger (step charges)? What do you think about this system? (does it give a real advantage or is it the same as a common charger?)

Regards

Last edited by Hugo; 03-20-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have a question,

will the ICC charger charge deadshorted packs from 0 volts, or will it require the pack to sit alittle bit to regain voltage?

thanks
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #89
Tech Initiate

Are you a distributor/retailer yet Colin (MrJolly) - If so save one for me.
SagaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #90
Tech Elite

afriad not
helgar sells this jobbie