R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 AM   #811
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnMatrix

I use it with my IB's all the time, havent noticed any problems.

When I putt them on the equalizer they light up for 10 secs and click off.

As for three hour thing, the only time that has happend to me is if the battery was fully charged.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:18 AM   #812
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
tested this unit.

i dont think this unit should not be used with Intellect Batteries. If i let this unit complete a full discharge, and then i put it on a tray with 0.9v cut off per cell, all the lights go out immediatly.

and consider this, even if the spintec did cut off at 5.4V, the cells may be like this 0.8v, 0.9, 1.0, 0.8v, 0.9, 1.0. ... it matter less on a conventional discharger as it is a linear 30amp discharge (as the lower voltage cells only drop below 0.9v for a few second) , but on the spintec it is sucking every last bit of juice from it and it is droping below 0.9v over and over again.

if it is true that IB's dont like going below 0.9v, then spintec will ruin your IB's.

also read a magazine unit review on the spintec, where it says the discharging process will not raise the temperature by even 1 degree. well this is also false. i temp guaged it before and during the discharge process, the battery temp raises by 5 degrees c.

also discharging after a run, about 1500mah remain, takes about 3 or so hours. and i have to watch it, makes it not really practical and really time consuming.
Pulse discharging more completly discharges the cells because inbetween pulses the cells "rebound" providing a bit more juice for the spintec to again pulse the load onto.

I built my own pulse discharge unit that only discharges at 7 amps. It takes about 30 minutes to completly discharge the pack after a race of stock, a few minutes less for 19. But its pulses of ON are a bit longer than the spintech. I haven't noticed any of the cells being more discharged than other when placed on the Novak tray, but they do finish quickly. I don't think it is hurting the cells.

I would have bought a spintec, but I am on a budget. So to radio shack I went.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #813
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

My Batman does the same. Discharge the cells with Batman, let cells sit till next race. When I put them on the Novak smart tray lights go out very quickly (some instantly).

Now I have lowered the Novak's cutoff voltage in 0.1V increments to see just how low of a cutoff voltage is required to equalize the cells. I found that around 0.3V is required. This applies to both my GP3300 and GP3700 cells, so this is not just a single pack.

I have not discharged a 6-cell pack on my GFX recently and let it sit for 6 days then equalize to compare against the above, but my 4-cell packs (GP3700's) are dischaged to 0.9V per cell on the GFX and sit for 6 days and always take some time to equalize on the Novak tray when set at 0.9V. I just got a Dyna pulse for the 4-cell packs, so I can do a test to see if they are discharged similar to the Batman 6-cell packs.

Seems the Batman I have is taking the cells down to a much lower voltage than 0.85V per cell.

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 12-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #814
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12314
My Batman does the same. Discharge the cells with Batman, let cells sit till next race. When I put them on the Novak smart tray lights go out very quickly (some instantly).

Now I have lowered the Novak's cutoff voltage in 0.1V increments to see just how low of a cutoff voltage is required to equalize the cells. I found that around 0.3V is required. This applies to both my GP3300 and GP3700 cells, so this is not just a single pack.

I have not discharged a 6-cell pack on my GFX recently and let it sit for 6 days then equalize to compare against the above, but my 4-cell packs (GP3700's) are dischaged to 0.9V per cell on the GFX and sit for 6 days and always take some time to equalize on the Novak tray when set at 0.9V. I just got a Dyna pulse for the 4-cell packs, so I can do a test to see if they are discharged similar to the Batman 6-cell packs.

Seems the Batman I have is taking the cells down to a much lower voltage than 0.85V per cell.

Regards,
Jimmy
i agree with everything u say jimmy. i been testing with some gp3300's.

i decided to work backwards to confirm that spintec is taking it below .85v/cell.

what i did was discharge it on a regular charger down to 6v (1v/cell). then i tray it down to 0.3v/cell.... then i put it on my spintec battery manager and it still wants to suck juice out of it. spintec said voltage was 6.8v and runtime was still going up.

at such a low voltage any load on the batteries (let alone 35amps) it should stop discharging immediatly.

it is a simple discharger, but i feel it is too simple and does not provide the user with any options/settings.

also i think it has previosly been mentioned, my gp3300 charge to only about 3400mah, but when i do a full discharge using the batman, it says it has a capacity of 4200mah.... you can't have more coming out than what is going in. Actually you will have less coming out than going in, considering there is some energy loss due to heat and other inefficiencies.

and yes, i know a "pulse" discharge allows the cells voltage to rebound, but do an experiment yourself. discharge to 5.4v, then allow the cells to rebound to 6.9v. then put it on a discharger again at anything more than 10amps, you wont even be able to get more than a few more amps (if any) before it trips 5.4v.

Last edited by qwerty; 12-06-2005 at 08:23 PM.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 AM   #815
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Has anyone tried using a DVOM on the cells? At 5.4v the cells will not have very much mAH. You will have a surface charge built up. So you would need to dump that to get an accurat reading.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:31 AM   #816
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm no expert. All I know is that the BatMan has improved the performance of my packs where it counts...on the track.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:35 AM   #817
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-lyon
I'm no expert. All I know is that the BatMan has improved the performance of my packs where it counts...on the track.
WORD....
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #818
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

I love reading about this but when are they making a 4 cell model? I'd really like to get one...
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #819
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05
I love reading about this but when are they making a 4 cell model? I'd really like to get one...
Right now he is very busy getting the ICC out to the distubitors...It will be after that...
But it will be worth it...
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #820
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

sweet so after the release of the ICC which I'll more than likely be purchasing as well will the new Batman V2 have an option for both 4-6 cells like the *uls?
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #821
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05
sweet so after the release of the ICC which I'll more than likely be purchasing as well will the new Batman V2 have an option for both 4-6 cells like the *uls?
Not sure if the 4 cell will be a combo or a stand alone kind of thing...
When Erik comes on he will shead more light.
-SHookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Old 12-16-2005, 06:12 AM   #822
Tech Rookie

Default NooBe Help Request

Hi all

Just got my Spintec Battery Manager and I dont think I am using it right.

How do you get it to display the discharge information, at the end of discharge all mine shows is Runtime and Volts, how do I get it to show the Energy, Capacity and Resistance.

Thanks
pharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if it just shows runtime and volts, then you are not done yet.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #824
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks for that.

It did eventualy finnish and did show all the info.

I couldn't believe how long it took to discharge the pack though.

I was using a pack of 6 GP3300 that had just been discharged at 10 amps on an LRP pulsar comp2. when fitted to the Spintec they took over 2 hours to discharge, is this normal I would have tought that as they had been discharged down to 5.4 volts already they wouldn't take to long on the sprintc but 2 hours?
pharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #825
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

all normal

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote