R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #796
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
When I put my batteries on the equalizing tray they are nearly dead. I thought this thing had a proper cut off voltage for storing? I don't leave it hooked up for hours, onlt when it says it's finished. Am I doing something wrong?
cutoff is at 5.4v. after the Batman has finished. you can store your batteries. equalize it when you are gonna use them again. its not really necessary to equalize your batteries just to store them. (albeit im not sure what is happening in your situation).

if you are NOT gonna use your batteries for more than a week. the recommendation is to put back 500mah back into the batteries and store it that way.

so.. if you used them today..and you are gonna race on saturday. discharge on the batman. then store.

if you are not going to use it until December. (two weeks away). then you put 500mah charge back into the battery and store. hope that helps.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #797
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
cutoff is at 5.4v. after the Batman has finished. you can store your batteries. equalize it when you are gonna use them again. its not really necessary to equalize your batteries just to store them. (albeit im not sure what is happening in your situation).

if you are NOT gonna use your batteries for more than a week. the recommendation is to put back 500mah back into the batteries and store it that way.

so.. if you used them today..and you are gonna race on saturday. discharge on the batman. then store.

if you are not going to use it until December. (two weeks away). then you put 500mah charge back into the battery and store. hope that helps.

Yes, I do this. Could mine be defective? Like I said theres nothing in them to even turn the red lights on my eqaulizing tray. It must be taking them down too far.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #798
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit
Good thing it was a tray and not an ESC !
I have seen the after effects of that and no it was not my ESC!!
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #799
Tech Lord

Quote:
Yes, I do this. Could mine be defective? Like I said theres nothing in them to even turn the red lights on my eqaulizing tray. It must be taking them down too far.
yah i dont know what could be happening. you can contact your local LHS to do a warranty/return/repair. or contact Erik Jonk on here. either way, you'll be taken care of.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 AM   #800
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Well let me take a stab at it...
Well we know these facts.
A) BatMan takes your packs down to 5.4V (.9V per cell)
B) Smart Tray shuts off at .9v per cell if it set at that voltage

Some things that I would like to know to make a better guess to which peice of equipment is not working proerly.

A) If you have a volt meter what is the voltage of the pack when you pull it off your BatMan?
B) If it is 5.4V than the BatMan is working correctly.
C) If it is 5.4V what is your Smart Tray/ Equalizing tray set at or the cutoff?

Possible things that could be wrong.
The Equalizing tray can not take any voltage out if it is set above 5.4V per pack.
Novak Smart Tray could have a fault..
Like I said, I would need more information to make a better guess.
Hope this helps some how...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:07 AM   #801
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Mr. Shookie,

Hope you don't mind me adding a detail to your A):

I believe that the BM will take a pack below 5.4V/pack once it enters maintainence mode... I forgot where I read it, but I am certain I read that the BM does not stop discharging after the cutoff voltage. (it will cutoff at some lower voltage... but I can't recall the exact numbers)

Correct me if I am wrong!
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #802
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

According to the website www.spintec.nl the cutoff is .85 per cell.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #803
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
Mr. Shookie,

Hope you don't mind me adding a detail to your A):

I believe that the BM will take a pack below 5.4V/pack once it enters maintainence mode... I forgot where I read it, but I am certain I read that the BM does not stop discharging after the cutoff voltage. (it will cutoff at some lower voltage... but I can't recall the exact numbers)

Correct me if I am wrong!
It seems like I read 5.04
knapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #804
Tech Adept

I will try to explain the discharge process of the Battery Manager. First it discharges to 0.9 V (5.4 V for the pack) with 'normal' Coolflex current. Then the units switches down in frequency, so effective current will be lower (peak still 35 amps). Due to this lower effective current, voltage will bounce up a little. Now the unit discharges again, to at most 0.85 V (5.1 V a pack). During this time the unit also looks to the speed of how fast voltage drops. If there is a sudden drop it assumes a cell goes dead quick, and stops the process. That's why in the end cut-off voltage varies between 5.1 and 5.4, and maintenance time will vary according to this. This of course to prevent cell reversal.

All measurements stop at the first 5.4 V crossing, so data is reliable.

Due to this maintenance process, the unit gets more energy out of the pack. So it is more 'empty' than with a normal discharge. We feel this is a very important part in the increase in performance of the cells.

And sorry, but I have to say it: the 'other' unit does not do this
Erik Jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 AM   #805
Tech Adept

By the way, you can hear the unit switching down in frequency. Just listen carefully when it enters maintenance mode! It will start clicking at about half the frequency.
Erik Jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #806
Tech Regular

I just picked one of these up last week, and it's a cool little device. I haven't ran my batteries yet; going to tommorow. What would a good IR be ? I have all GP cells in both 3300's, and 3700's. Also would charging a pack fully, and letting the Spintec discharge all the power out help, or should I run the pack and Spintec the rest of the power out? Right now I am getting 40-50's on the IR on all packs. Thanks.
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #807
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw92656
I just picked one of these up last week, and it's a cool little device. I haven't ran my batteries yet; going to tommorow. What would a good IR be ? I have all GP cells in both 3300's, and 3700's. Also would charging a pack fully, and letting the Spintec discharge all the power out help, or should I run the pack and Spintec the rest of the power out? Right now I am getting 40-50's on the IR on all packs. Thanks.
jw.. after 2-3 runs on the you'll see your IR come down into the 20s-30s. run your packs first for 5-6mins. i did a fully charged pack and it came out flat since there's a rest period inbetween the bursts of 35amp discharge. better to run it (and your not wasting a cycle on your batteries), then spintec it!

my packs were in the high teens (17-19) when i used the spintec in the middle of race season (this past summer).

forgot to mention: do the same routine consistently to get results as close as possible.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #808
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have just p/u one of these units and am testing before i buy a few more. once it has done its thing should i place the batteries on the tray to equalize?
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #809
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
once it has done its thing should i place the batteries on the tray to equalize?
No need, just equalize on the tray for 5 mins brfore your next charge cycle.

Cheers !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #810
Tech Regular

tested this unit.

i dont think this unit should not be used with Intellect Batteries. If i let this unit complete a full discharge, and then i put it on a tray with 0.9v cut off per cell, all the lights go out immediatly.

and consider this, even if the spintec did cut off at 5.4V, the cells may be like this 0.8v, 0.9, 1.0, 0.8v, 0.9, 1.0. ... it matter less on a conventional discharger as it is a linear 30amp discharge (as the lower voltage cells only drop below 0.9v for a few second) , but on the spintec it is sucking every last bit of juice from it and it is droping below 0.9v over and over again.

if it is true that IB's dont like going below 0.9v, then spintec will ruin your IB's.

also read a magazine unit review on the spintec, where it says the discharging process will not raise the temperature by even 1 degree. well this is also false. i temp guaged it before and during the discharge process, the battery temp raises by 5 degrees c.

also discharging after a run, about 1500mah remain, takes about 3 or so hours. and i have to watch it, makes it not really practical and really time consuming.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote