R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Oops! I just realized that is Dutch. I was using the German to English translator in Google. My bad.

"Those Dutch have a different word for everything"...stolen from a Steve Martin routine...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 AM   #482
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In the good old days of NiCD I would discharge after the race was done. Since NiMH cells don't have memory is it better to discharge after a race or right before I charge the cells? My discharge routine is to discharge at 30amps on my CE Turbo 35, then move them to my Novak Smart Tray. Appreciate the input. I am considering using a battery manager (Spin or Trinity) instead of my Turbo 35 which is usually too busy on race day for discharging.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #483
Tech Champion

I am currently discharging all packs on my SpinTec immediately after using. Prior to recharging, I place the pack on my Novak Smart Tray to equalize. Have been playing around with what voltage to equalize the packs to (from .9V to .1V) on the Tray.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #484
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JRX-S Bill : after using the batman and prior to RE-charging, i cut-off at 0.9volts per cell... but prior to charging for the 1st time, 1 set my novak to .02 volts...

... but right now i'm trying what Hebiki does, completely cycle the batts on the batman, after 3 to 4 uses... ( just to maybe get some consistent numbers)
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #485
Tech Elite

At the end of the race day do you leave them discharged or do you charge them back up a bit?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #486
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman... but right now i'm trying what [b
Hebiki[/b] does, completely cycle the batts on the batman, after 3 to 4 uses... ( just to maybe get some consistent numbers)
I decided to stop caring about the numbers that the batman shows after a few times use on my batteries. However, I DO like its method for discharging my packs...Even if it is s---l---o---w.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:54 AM   #487
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam
At the end of the race day do you leave them discharged or do you charge them back up a bit?
I have only been advised to charge packs back up a bit (5 minutes) if they were going to sit unused for two weeks or more.

For "race packs" used week-after-week, I do not charge (after equalizing)until just before each round of racing. For twice a week racing (on carpet during winter), I keep "race packs" for the weekend racing and "race packs" for weekday racing. For all other "practice packs" (former "race packs"), I do whatever makes sense to preserve the pack.

When I retire a pack, it usually gets handed off to a kid trying to race on a budget...Call it nurturing the next Matt Francis or Todd Hodge...A must to keep the hobby alive...

Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #488
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Quote:
For maintaining your packs, you want to leave them discharged at 0.9v/cell, either through the Spintec or a linear discharge. Spintec being the "better" choice. You can store them at this state for about a week or two. Then, when you are going to charge them back up again, I would cycle the pack, Spintec it, then tray it, and peak charge it for the race.

If you are going to store your cells for a long period of time, then I would put about 800mah of a charge back in them. Also, this doesn't have to be at 6 or 7A, because you aren't going to run them off that, so 4-5A will do.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #489
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by micros_rock
Then, when you are going to charge them back up again, I would cycle the pack, Spintec it, then tray it, and peak charge it for the race.
How can you Spintec a pack that has been "cycled" (charged and discharged)?

Did you mean "charge" instead of "cycle"?

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #490
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
How can you Spintec a pack that has been "cycled" (charged and discharged)?

Did you mean "charge" instead of "cycle"?

Thanks.
I mean cycle the pack (charge and discharge). Then use the Spintec to finish it off, as there will still be a little left in the pack. I always do this with any pack just to get that last bit with the Spintec.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #491
Tech Champion

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #492
TDO
Tech Apprentice

@Mr Shookie and JRX-S Bill

Sorry for the mumbo jumbo It is indeed dutch and indeed I bought 2 and 2 coming up shortly. And I wondered if I needed my packs to equalize after discharging with Batman.

So here you go, you have learned some dutch I can even teach you some 'nice' words to be used in heated discussions
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #493
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO
@Mr Shookie and JRX-S Bill

Sorry for the mumbo jumbo It is indeed dutch and indeed I bought 2 and 2 coming up shortly. And I wondered if I needed my packs to equalize after discharging with Batman.

So here you go, you have learned some dutch I can even teach you some 'nice' words to be used in heated discussions
Thinking it was German, I was curious to see how the Google translator program would do. Unfortunately, not too well considering it was Dutch.

Could see a few words here and there. We need an international touch. Very kewl (cool)!

Old 08-06-2005, 09:48 PM   #494
Tech Elite

Unfortunately I only have 3 packs right now and need to run each pack twice on race day (2 practice runs and 4 races). That being said I shouldn't cycle them on race day should I?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #495
Tech Master

Quote:
Unfortunately I only have 3 packs right now and need to run each pack twice on race day (2 practice runs and 4 races). That being said I shouldn't cycle them on race day should I?
I would really recommend getting some more packs, Fusion I believe still has there 3 pack sale going on, very good prices. If the 3 packs you have right now are decent packs, then just get some cheap packs for practice, it'll be worth it to keep your race packs "fresh."
Either way, you shouldn't cycle you packs on a race day. You would cycle them 2-3 days before in order to let them rest for a day.