R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #421
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

No there is a 4cell version due out soon.
-Shookie <><
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichChang
Hi,

Can this also be used on 4-cell packs?

-Rich
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
discharge and charge the way you NORMALLY do it. Run the pack at a track (mod, stock 19T...silver can..whatever you run) for 5 mins.

take the pack off... throw it on the Spintec BatMan. (remember the numbers, specifically the IR

how long does it take your packs to discharge on the Batman after 5 mins?

what i do now is to run for 5 mins, discharge the pack on my GFX to 6 volts then put it on the BATMAN...

i kinda find it too long to have the BATMAN dischage a pack after 5 mins....
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:45 PM   #423
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
No there is a 4cell version due out soon.
-Shookie <><
anyone knows will the 4 cell version support 6 cell as well?
or i need to buy one 4 cell and one 6 cell version for my 1:12 and TC separetely?
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #424
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman
how long does it take your packs to discharge on the Batman after 5 mins?

what i do now is to run for 5 mins, discharge the pack on my GFX to 6 volts then put it on the BATMAN...

i kinda find it too long to have the BATMAN dischage a pack after 5 mins....
highwayman... how's the bd dude? hehe i havent read the thread in awhile.

here are the discharge times for my batteries:
Practice packs - about 90-120 mins (charged at 6amps linear or 3 phase)
Race packs - about 120-150mins (3 phase charging)

i used to do what you're currently doing. but i figure.. even if i put my batteries on a regular 30amp discharger, even if its for 2 mins. the batteries will still get heated up (or rise from room temp). so i just throw in a dvd in my dvd player and my batteries sit on the Batman.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:26 PM   #425
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

I think Erik should make a 50A version, lol.

Chris, feel free to email me if you have any "update." I won't be online much as I am pretty busy this weekend, but starting Monday, I will be online, all the time
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #426
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micros_rock
I think Erik should make a 50A version, lol.

Chris, feel free to email me if you have any "update." I won't be online much as I am pretty busy this weekend, but starting Monday, I will be online, all the time
hehe.. im working on it you should see "something" tonight.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:17 PM   #427
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Micro_rock,

I guess you must have an MSC in Electronic !

Maybe if you use BatMan often enough you can improve the Internal resistance till you will get a negative number !

Man, everybody know that your can't create energy, you can jsut transform it. If you put in your cell 100j ... you can"t get out of them 120j in the discharge phase !

In my 2400NiCd I charged them around 2500mAh with an avarage volt of 8.7V = 2500x8.7 = around 21.75 energy unit. the fact that the battery was hot at the end of the charge, means a lot of energy have been wasted in heating !

On discharge phase per the BatMan I got 4812mAh with 7.4V avatage = 4800x7.4 = 35.5 energy unit.

Not only I have heat a bit my living room, but I also got back 63% additional energy ... (lost in the BatMan heating) .

OK either the BatMan number are wrong, or the number of my charger are wrong ... and since I still have to switch off my mind, like some people here like to do, I am very confident on stating that BatMan number are wrong ... so wrong that should be self evident for everybody !

e_lm_70

PS: Erik, let me guess ... there is no real device in the BatMan that is mesuring the current ... I guess you are just mesureing the voltage over the fix internal resistence ... this means that as high is the real resitance of the Pack and the connection, and as lower will be the current that BatMan will take out of the battery ... the 35Amp is a virtual and fake number ... just good in case the pack is similar to the one that you used in your BatMan development ! ... as well other effect in the current spike that BatMan is generating, like C and L factors ... will also affect the real discharge current !

PS: There is nothing wrong on admit that the BatMan has limitations ... but on the other end is very dummy and arrogant to play that game to blame people that tell the true that you don like it !

PS: As already stated, the fact that this BatMan is reporting fake numbers, doesn't take out anything from the fact that this BatMan is a super discharger and an excellent (almost-unique) battery pack recondition !
Just thought I'd add a few points.... Not bashing, just some observations.

1) Baterries, more than anything, are a chemical process, in fact there is very little electronics involved. Most batts will ten to self charge over time, just due to the chemicals inside continuing to react (whatch the voltage numbers carefully on a discharge cycle, you'll see they they DON'T drop linerally, they flucutate). To get the most reaction, current has to be applied, and from this you get the voltage storage. Now I'll admit, it's pretty extreme what your quoting... BUT there is one huge hole in your numbers...

2) You've taken average voltage at the end of the cycle, but the max voltage for the start.... You really should be comparing the values for minimum voltage (ie the cycle cut-off) and NOT the average, at they are two completely different values....The averge voltage refers to the volatage for the pack, as worked out over the ENTIRE discharge, not just at the end. The min voltage is just that, the voltage of the pack at the time of end of discharge.

For example, using your method, you say you get about 21.75 energy units in after charge (8.7vx2500mah). Now compare that with values for a finished pack, assume say 0.7v or 0.8v cutoff per cell which is in the ball park I think (the lights on my Robitronic try go off quite quickly after spintec discharge, so it has to be close to 0.6v a cell), so either 4.2v or 4.8v. Do the same calc, using your capacity number, and you get 4.2x4800 = 20.160, or 4.8x4800 = 23.040.... Slightly more believeable, am I correct?

Hopefully that solves some of the probs... but probably will create some more :P

BTW... I don't own one (yet), just borrowed it from MR JOLLY to re-awaken my promatches... so far, so good. Going off the baseline numbers from first cycle, i've seen a 50sec improvement in run time (after a 5min race), plus lower IR

Later
Ed
Old 07-30-2005, 06:09 PM   #428
Tech Addict

That is what I was wondering, too.

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow15
anyone knows will the 4 cell version support 6 cell as well?
or i need to buy one 4 cell and one 6 cell version for my 1:12 and TC separetely?
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 AM   #429
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
highwayman... how's the bd dude? hehe i havent read the thread in awhile.

here are the discharge times for my batteries:
Practice packs - about 90-120 mins (charged at 6amps linear or 3 phase)
Race packs - about 120-150mins (3 phase charging)

i used to do what you're currently doing. but i figure.. even if i put my batteries on a regular 30amp discharger, even if its for 2 mins. the batteries will still get heated up (or rise from room temp). so i just throw in a dvd in my dvd player and my batteries sit on the Batman.

The BD still handles as smooth as ever, especially now that i rebuilt it from the ground up (had sooo much spares that instead of waiting for parts to break, i just changed all the old ones ) But now, i'm kinda pre-occupied with my LCG, seems to steer better than the BD.

anyway, back to the Batman... so i gather you place your batts on the batman after your track day? ... or the day before race day??? (or do you bring a DVD player to the track? ... )

i try to "batman" all my packs on the track after running and storing them like that until the next time i will run (which at most is 1 week).

... so its better than i just "batman" my packs at home before race day to get the most out of them?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #430
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'll usually batman my practice and race packs after every 3 runs. I'll charge them up completely; and discharge them.

Thanks Hebiki
Old 08-02-2005, 07:07 AM   #431
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Question

For Erik....I use Deans connectors on my batterries.I know,but with 3 people racing it's easier,and at club level it seems fine.I seem to be starting to get some inconsistant readings from the Batman.If I replace the alligator clips with a Deans connector,keeping the wire length the same,will I get more consistant readings?I realize they might not compare to others,but as a reference database for myself,it seems it should work O.K.One more thing,by doing this is there any chance of damaging the unit?Thanks,Mario.

Last edited by lotus1; 08-02-2005 at 10:25 PM.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #432
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey all

I stopped RC for 5 years and i just started again now, so im new to nimh technology.

I just bought 3 gm sanyo 3000HV batteries, because they were cheap, but i got really disapointed by my first try. they all charged to less then 2600 figures, and gave runtimes around 4 minutes (with 12*2 motor and 22 pinion).

According to what i read on RC car action, this could be explained by the crystalization that can occur when a pack is rested for to long (i guess the batteries were on the stores shelf for too long).

If this information is right, should i cycle my nimh batteries when im not using them for long times?

Can the Batman do anything for my batteries? I just spend 100 euros on them and i dont wanna loose another 100 euros...

Also to PIRESPRETO:

Lamento os episodios que relataste na tua webpage... É um infeliz habito portugues nao apreciar os esforços dos seus compatriotas
Estive fora do mundo RC e nao acompanhei nada, mas p compensar dou-te os parabéns pela optima pagina pessoal

(alguem tem de começar a quebrar os maus habitos portugueses...)
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #433
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Itchy,

I do not own a batman, but according to the situation that you have described, cycling your batteries should bring their readings back into a reasonable range.

I think after 3 cycles on a charger, you should charge ur batts to full, run them in your car for 5 minutes or so (race them or practice with them), and then discharge them using the batman.
Through continued use, you will find your pack will continually improve steadily until you reach the pack's limitations.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Hope that helps.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #434
Tech Regular

hmmm... it seems trinity has released a product similar to this, called the Dyna Pulse
beer_drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:12 AM   #435
Tech Apprentice

beer_drinker, i saw it also...
Any comments???? of course i saw that the trinity one is 30A...
harris is offline   Reply With Quote