R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #271
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by highwayman
how many times do i need to cycle them, or regularly do i need to cycle them (complete charge and discharge)
I'm not even sure if we have to do it. I just did it because after discahrging what was left on the packs they charged more than they used to. I thought that if that happened discharging 300-400mA, what could happen if I did it to a complete pack.

That's why I did it. However I know of people that never did a complete discharge and their packs improved anyway, probably not as fast, but they did.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #272
Tech Initiate

Hi Erik

Just obtain a BM - I am experimenting with some old cells - What would be very helpful is a guide at what would be the very best set of figures you would expect from a set of new GP3300's and the worst figures from an old set of cells - just as guide to know where we are whilst learning.
SagaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #273
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Erik, i got emailed back from one of your staff, good to know you found out what was wrong and why. Got my Spintec back earlier this week.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #274
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by berger
Erik, i got emailed back from one of your staff, good to know you found out what was wrong and why. Got my Spintec back earlier this week.
sweeet.. discharged another race pack last night .... numbers keep going down. i think one more discharge and my race packs will be in the teens for IR.

ill post data later when i get home.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #275
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EA Motorsports- I got mine from ShopModel in HK- it took about 4-5 days to come in. I would try creating a different user.

Bat Man is awesome! I especially the noise that comes from the batteries so you know its gotta work!. Cant wait to see what my old batteries from 03 will charge at!

Thanks
Spintec!
tboned_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #276
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jarkkom
Talking

Finally ordered mine and can't wait to try it...

One thing tho'.. anyone else experiencing packs go flat if discharged from a full charge? Erik, some explanation on this please..

Also, why is everyone posting 'results' of their dischargin from already race heat discharged packs? Seems like the packs are not on the same line when the Spintec device gets in to the biz..
jarkkom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:02 AM   #277
Tech Adept

Hello, sorry for my late reply... was out of office for a few days

Roedor:
- We also noticed improvements on nearly new packs, yes. They accept more charge.
- The biggest improvements are made in the first 3 or 4 cycles.
- We are working on a 4 cell version, but it's difficult to estimate when it will be available. Probably at the end of this year soonest.

Highwayman:
Looks like the I.C.C. project will be delayed a bit. Hopefully the first batch will be available around July, but don't hang me on this one See also the I.C.C. thread here
Regarding cycling your packs, I do not see any real reason to do a full charge and discharge just for cycling it. Just charge it all the way, run it for 5 minutes, then put it on the Battery Manager. Every cycle you do counts and reduces life time!
We have not found any significant better results between discharging a completely charged pack, or discharging the remains after a race.
And yes, due to the Coolflex current (blocks of 35 amps followed by a cooling down period) discharging takes longer than with conventional dischargers.

Micros_rock:
Yes, most people still tray their packs for equalizing.

Rod M:
We have heard of good results also on the Intellect cells. Anyone can confirm this here?

rcnewb2004:
If you run your packs completely empty, then the Battery Manager can't do much. You can not discharge empty packs My advise would be to not run your car until dead stop, you risk damaging your cells (reversal).

Simon:
You discharge your pack as soon as possible after racing. 500 mAh would roughly take 15 minutes or so.

jarkkom:
I have not heard of that before, except from Dotman on this page. Also I see no difference in doing a full discharge or only discharging the remains after racing. The process is the same, so why would the results be different? Maybe others can post their findings here?
People are posting mostly results of already raced ('empty') packs, because there is no real reason to discharge a fully charged pack (except for testing and benchmarking).

SagaMike:
The best packs I've heard of are close to 500 seconds, the worst are... well below that. Normal packs around 450 I believe.

Berger:
Good to hear! Hope this one is okay...

Hope I answered all the questions.... if not.... ask them again!
Erik Jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Erik Jonk : has the shipment of BM's to horizon been sent out already? thanks - jason
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #279
Tech Adept

Yes, the Battery Managers have just been sent to Horizon. They will be there very soon now!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:27 AM   #280
Tech Initiate

Hi Erik

Is this correct:
Immediately after discharging (about 3hrs for a 420 runtime) of a fully charged pack, I have to wait about 35-40 mins before any figures appear, with a message running - saying 'Maintenance - Please wait' or words to that effect. Is this correct?
SagaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #281
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

SagaMike
I am not Erik, but I think that is correct. Mine does it too. If you listen to the batteries you can still hear it doing something during the maintenance process.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM   #282
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
E.J-
Thanks for the info on the I.C.C.,you guys over there at Spintec take all the time you need to get this thing right. Last thing we need is a rush delivery to the market and have problems like the Spektrum's -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #283
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

THanks for the reply Erik,

How much "juice" should be left in the pack then, for batman to have maximum effect on the battery pack?
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #284
Tech Addict

i think about 500ma is a good amount to have left
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:54 AM   #285
Tech Adept

SagaMike:
Yes, that's correct. In the 'Maintenance' mode at the end of the cycle, the Battery Manager chooses an other discharge algorithm. It then steps down in frequency and uses a different current-shape. We feel that this section of the cycle is the most important and is responsible for the performance increase (decrystallization).

rcnewb2004:
John_S is right, 500 mAh is a nice value. As said above, as long as the system goes in maintenance mode the results will be OK. We have not noticed any better results by doing longer discharges (like fully charged packs).