Noob Question

Old 01-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Noob Question

Ive heard people talking lately about running electric motors and basically blasting them for speed to the point where they are getting 2-4 runs and then replacing or rebuilding. I also saw a thread about batteries being so strong theye are killing motors.

I just bought a TC3, and am planning to run stock class, 27t motors. If I am running stock, is this something I am going to have to worry about? I was to run, but not spend gobs of cash at least until I see if I am any good. How long can I expect my 27t motor to last me?
Old 01-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your just starting out and running in stock 27t class you should not be dumping cash into anything.

A few basics you should prepare for when u have extra cash:
-BRP from bumper(first purchase)
-save cash for spare parts
-get the right tires that the fast guys use at your club, dont spend money tires that are not race worthy(skip the spinner rims)
-having 2-4 battery packs is key to racing a full day, with only 2 plan ahead to make sure u have time to recharge thepacks

Your motor will last a long time if you care for it, clean(with motor spray) and lube the bushings afterwards. From time to time depending on how much u race you can have a local racer cut the comm and replace the brushes. Fact is new racers are actually pretty easy on motors since they tend to do less laps and apply less load to the motors.An a-main guy getting 30 laps a race may need to rebuild sooner than a new guy only getting 20-25 laps and is atually babying the motor. Stock motors should last a year if properly cared for it depends on how often ur racing.

2 and 3 run motors is normally exageration but guys running low turn mod motors do rebuild often sometimes very often. I would steer away from mod racing untill you are very good at stock racing.

Batteries today are better then they have ever been, run time is high and voltage is too. There is no super pack that will kill a stock motor. Motors stock or mod are killed by drivers overgearing them or using the wrong motor in the wrong applications.

Most of all get as much practice in as possible. The Tc3 is a good car and needs no hop ups to run fast and up front. The only thing keeping the car from the front is the driver
Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Awesome Joel, thanks. I plan on running basically every other weekend, with some practice runs on the off weeks. During the summer maybe a bit more, but I will be running dirt tracs with a truck so the car will be splitting time.

Point is, averaging 2-3 race days a month, with practice time.
I have no plan on mod class at this time. I see no point in investing lots of money to find out I suck. I figure I can find out fast enough with stock!

Thanks for the info, I feel better about the money I am spending now.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

The really nice things that motor manufactures have been doing for a while is that they are putting suggested run ratios with the motors, just so you don't risk blowing the motor. Some also have Pinion/spur suggestions.