R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
Tech Regular

i was taking a closer look at those bits today under a magnifiying glass and the part of the bit that is gonna cut the comm is not a 90degree angle, its like a rounded slightly. not like the part of the bit that is on the side thats an extreme 90angle and is pretty sharp?
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: time for a lathe?

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
The lathe is one of the most important tools a serious R/C racer could own. Either one of the HUDY lathes would be a good choice. I recently purchessed The single belt lathe 155.95 from speedtech and got a diamond bit off E-bay for 49.00> The lathe cuts like glass beutiful cuts. Over the years I have had the Cobra lathe and a integy XIPP and niether one compares to the Hudy. So I say spend the extra money and get something good and you wont regret it
right on brotha
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Every half decient lathe on the market can cut a comm round if set up correctly. Buy what you like and is in your price range, setup the blocks correctly and you'll be good to go. I have an xipp fashion($120) and it cuts perfectly round and does an awsome job.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #19
Tech Regular

what kind of bits do you guys use and where do you get them?

and when i have the armature on the blocks ready to cut should i move the blocks in so that its on the part of the arm that is a full rod and not the long end of the arm that is a D shape that the pinnion gets tightend down to our does it matter?

Last edited by kh15; 01-12-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

the hudy is an excellent choice,but don't get the ball bearing v-guides get the hardened steel guides they will last forever, ball bearings wear out and have to be cleaned often when you get shavings in them,and you will get shavings in them.This is the one I have, http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...9&kategoria=61
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Here are the pics of the bit installed in my lathe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00008.jpg (145.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 01-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #22
Tech Elite

This one is a little blurry but it is still useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00009.jpg (140.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Last one, this one has my spare bit sitting next to my lathe in the same orientation as the way it sits in the lathe. And to answer your earlier question, the marking on the bit are on the left side of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00011.jpg (143.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #24
Tech Regular

beautiful thank you so much! when im going left to right cutting the comm should i run the bit all the way across the comm and then off it a little on the side that does not have those wires and wire mount tabs? to assure that i have a good cut alllllll the way across the comm?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
Yeah, just the tip touches the comm. The flat part of the cutting tip goes down making the point of the tip on the left side of the bit. When you start up the lathe, use a sharpie or other felt marker to blacken the whole comm. Now line up the bit just in from the top of the comm.

Screw the bit toward the comm slowly until it just touches the comm. Stop and turn off the drive motor. Line the bit up with one of the comm slots and move the bit out past the top of the comm. Turn the drive motor on and slowly move the bit across the comm. You want to cut the whole surface of the comm but don't hit the tabs. Stop the drive motor and line the bit up with a slot, and then move the bit back up past the top. Turn on the drive motor, reblacken the comm with the marker, turn the bit in one notch and go again. Rinse and repeat until after a pass all the black is gone.

It is common for the bit to not touch the middle of the comm on the first few passes. When you make your first pass and get down to the bottom of the comm, you will want to set the stop with the screw to the left of the carriage.

Hope this helps. I will get some pics up tonight after class so you can confirm how the bit is set up.
Always cut from right to left. Do not go back across the comm.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
Always cut from right to left. Do not go back across the comm.
almost all lathe owners in my local track cut on both directions, going in and out. I understood why after trying your method.

I find it very difficult to position the tip of the bit on the tiny gap exactly between the comm segments. It's very easy for the bit to get snagged on a segment as you crank out the bit.

One racer backs out the bit away from the comm before positioning the bit back to the start of the cut.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #27
Tech Master

The bits in an RC lathe are designed to cut in only one direction only. Dragging the bit backwards across the comm surface is a no-no and is wrong. I back the bit off after a cut also before I return the carriage and just use the numbers to reset it after.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:53 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

I've always been told one direction also but I admit I usually go both,it has never been a problem.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #29
Tech Elite

The other problem with going back across the come is that the slop in the carriage now causes a shift in the bit and changes the angle in relationshipp to the comm which drastically increases wear on the bit. On a diamond, this shift could be enough to chip it.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Hmm never thought of that, but you're probably right,I'll bet my bit is chipped? ouch.