R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Vintage 1/12th, Stormer Brings back the Schkee (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/589462-vintage-1-12th-stormer-brings-back-schkee.html)

RedBullFiXX 01-20-2012 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 10199793)
here's a few better ones. You know what was cool? I had it sitting on the counter. left for about 20 minutes, came back in, and for a split second, asking myself, "when did I get that"? Tricked myself into thinking I had some new car. ;)

My apologies for the "enthusiastic" amount of posts. I'm having a good time. :)

I'd prefer thousands of threads like this, to "what is the best", motor, esc, battery, chassis, etc, etc, fanboi threads ....

You are a true enthusiast Bob, well played sir :nod:

Three 01-20-2012 07:39 AM

How about vintage 1/12th scale racing.
1. Scale bodies of real cars. Driver figure required in open cockpit cars. Period paint.
2. Resistors and wiper arms (no ESCs).
3. Fiberglass t-bar chassis.
4. Green, red, or yellow compounds for tires.
5. Handout sealed endbell motors (with a motor buy rule).
Batteries might be a problem.....

:D

Three 01-20-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 10199593)
Right now. On the first page, the image of the clear body is "clickable", takes you to the bodys.

Thanks, Bob. got mine ordered. Will look good next to my Associated TOJ. How about some driver figures?

Rick Hohwart 01-20-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by YR4Dude (Post 10199415)
I never knew the Schkee was a real car. Alway thought it was just something made for RC only. Thanks for that piece of history.

I remember these being available in a 1/10th scale version from Bolink for the Invader.

Back in those days the bodies had to actually look like the real car or they would not be approved by ROAR.

RedBullFiXX 01-20-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart (Post 10200664)
Back in those days the bodies had to actually look like the real car or they would not be approved by ROAR.

I miss that kind of clarity in the rules.

IndyRC_Racer 01-20-2012 08:48 AM

Thanks for keeping a bit of r/c history alive. The body looks awesome. I never knew that 1/12 bodies could look so cool AND be based off a real car.

Racecrafter 01-20-2012 09:27 AM

I ran a 1/10 Schkee on my Bolink Eliminator back in the late '80s. Greg Booker painted in to look like a space ship. Still the most detailed paint job I'd ever seen.

azeroth 01-20-2012 12:14 PM

period perfect bringing back some great memories of those times. wipers, box radios, novak's first esc's and servo's and nicads lol resistor charging wires and voltmeters

Bob-Stormer 01-20-2012 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Three (Post 10200469)
How about vintage 1/12th scale racing.
1. Scale bodies of real cars. Driver figure required in open cockpit cars. Period paint.
2. Resistors and wiper arms (no ESCs).
3. Fiberglass t-bar chassis.
4. Green, red, or yellow compounds for tires.
5. Handout sealed endbell motors (with a motor buy rule).
Batteries might be a problem.....

:D

Be nice. I think you'd have to go back to the roots of rug racing and get back on the smaller tracks where the speed would make sense, like a 24x60 size track, with 6' lanes. I've mentioned it a few times, I've recently run 1/12th with a silver can motor. Loved it, very drivable, and excellent run time. Likely only work with seasoned old guys with ego's in check. You have to be okay with the REAL win, which is being able to participate in that style of racing, to be a part of it, for the enjoyment of the activity. Racing as a whole was better back in the day because there was more hobby involved. You had to make, fabricate and design a lot of stuff. This allowed a lot more, smaller victories to be had. Sometimes the victory was simply to take a car that was spinning out and make it stop. that's a win!

The unfortunate consequence of that kind of vintage racing is that somebody has to cross the line first. I don't know that we as racers could keep our ego's in check to make it work. I'd like to say I could... But I don't really know, not for sure. It's hard not to race "anything" and not to want to win. But be a part of the spectacle.

I think it's a standard guy thing, like it's wired in genetically to want to compete. I know if we're out in the shop welding on a full size race car. It's not 2 hours and we're having the "welder nationals". everybody welds one tube on a chassis and then we judge it... ;)

We have had blow dart competitions, balance a ladder on one leg for time, buff a dull spot on a car to shiney, throwing "beverage" cans at the trash can for distance. Torque to spec competitions WITHOUT a torque wrench. As in, closest to 90 foot pounds without going over. How long can you get a wheel to spin on an axle, (time based). balance a broom on your nose... Who can squeeze a bathroom scale the hardest, who can bend some piece of metal with their bare hands. It's never ending, and always a good time. We had a battery charger die. That of course became the shotput the battery charger for distance competition... I'd say it happens EVERY time we're in the shop with a group of guys. Pain based ones are fun too. Who can take a 1x2 across the back, longest with a vicegrip hanging from your earlobe. Things that pinch seem to end up in those contests the most. I look forward to all of that silliness. Keeps a guy sane, I reckon. few things in life are better than a good, long laugh with your mates.

Originally Posted by Three (Post 10200487)
Thanks, Bob. got mine ordered. Will look good next to my Associated TOJ. How about some driver figures?

What did we do for drivers? I know I had 2 guys, and they just migrated from car to car. I still have one in my pit box... Just in case. ;) I remember being at a race and Mitch Witteman had his driver dude sticking way up in the cockpit. open cockpit car, likely TOJ. and his antenna was near the guys steering wheel so all the mass (if you can call it that) of the lexan driver guy was behind the pivot point. So when the car cornered, you'd see the guy in the car slide from side to side in the cockpit. I remember thinking that was very cool. To intentionally set the car up for that kind of fun. :)

Wes Briscoe 01-20-2012 02:38 PM

That body is awesome, thanks for bringing it back. This is the kind of car I always wanted to race when I was a kid (too broke, too young) and now I get to try it out on my Rev7 :)

I'm hoping it handles well enough for stock because it will be a blast to club race with. Got two on the way!

Originally Posted by Fred Howart

Ironically this body would NOT be allowed to run at a ROAR race today. :)

clinehobbies 01-20-2012 02:45 PM

That chassis looks nice chassis :) wonder where you got it hmmm.. :)
looks real nice Bob.

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 10199793)
here's a few better ones. You know what was cool? I had it sitting on the counter. left for about 20 minutes, came back in, and for a split second, asking myself, "when did I get that"? Tricked myself into thinking I had some new car. ;)

My apologies for the "enthusiastic" amount of posts. I'm having a good time. :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6...20e309c8_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6...1e359e44_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6...e0295587_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6...be7e55d6_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6...e42f21aa_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6...0989e127_o.jpg

odpurple 01-20-2012 02:46 PM

"Foof cans" :lol: I love it.

Perfect period paint job, very nice :nod:

Bob-Stormer 01-20-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by clinehobbies (Post 10202142)
That chassis looks nice chassis :) wonder where you got it hmmm.. :)
looks real nice Bob.

I do like that chassis. :) I'm not "in-CLINEd" to divulge my source on that one. I don't put radio gear in most of my cars. Although, "lately" i've decided if I have 3-4 of something, one of them might as well have radio gear in it. normally I think it's distracting from the beauty of the engineering of the piece.

If you look to left in that first pic, you can see a TRC Pro-10, I'm building to around a 1990 spec, as a runner. Will have a Shelby Can-Am body on it. I like the look of it. Never all that popular, if at all, as an RC race body.

gonna be a tribute car to this one.

http://www.shelbycanam.com/images/02...Aug%202007.jpg

Three 01-20-2012 03:04 PM

Bob,
You are right about the competition factor.
Still have my driver from the mid eighties, got an antenna hole in the belt buckle (that must hurt :D). Will use him in the Schkee although he has just been sitting on the shelf for twenty years.
Yeah its the little battles that are the best. Remember cutting out a chassis from sheet graphite using a Dremel. Key in the music from "All in the Family". Was very lucky to get in rc cars near the start. If I could only find a body for my old Dynamic car.........

Bob-Stormer 01-20-2012 03:21 PM

^^^old guy^^^ ;)

I had a dynamic car, sold it maybe 10 years ago. I "kind of" regret selling it. But you gotta pick your areas, and I'm not as sharp as I'd like to be in the areas of vintage 1/8 gas. THAT, was a different time. Much more burly. Solder together your own fuel tank... now, we can't new people to figure out steering trim. Whadda ya mean I have to reset the speed control? ;) ...lol...

I think it was big then because it was a complete hobby, down to building and modifying. Now there is to big a disconnect between building and racing. "building" for most noobs now is replacing a suspension arm. and to REALLY hop it up, you get an orange arm instead of the black one. It has it's place, but takes away a lot of the hobby, which is the Modeling aspect. Lot of pride to be had by whittling out your own chassis, even if it sucks.