Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TL-01 hop up options >

Tamiya TL-01 hop up options

Tamiya TL-01 hop up options

Old 12-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile Tamiya TL-01 hop up options

Have just bought a tamiya TL-01 second hand with a nosram tomahawk reverse in it, have upgraded motor to peak performance jaguar (17 X 2) and was wondering what else i can do to make this thing quicker and better to drive, also i cant get the steering to stay straight even with the adjustor maxed out to one side,
Cheers
Robbo
Old 12-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

adjustable steering arms
adjustable camber
toe in rear uprights
sway bars

they will make it handle better and lap faster but alternatively you could buy speed tuned gears and monitor the temperature of the motor closely
Old 12-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

buy an xray!!!! you cant put a mod motor in a tl-01 without having a melt down of gears......
Old 12-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

I agree. I had 2 TL-01's myself. Great start in experience.

First off that Jaguar motor is junk and wont really last you too long. (Bad Experiences). I wouldn't go below a 16 turn motor in a TL-01. Even when I had a stock motor, after 3 straight battery packs ran, I had the whole rear of the car warm. To make the car more efficient get a set of ball bearings for the car. They can be found relatively cheap on ebay for about $15. Get all the adjustable arms ..etc just as ford_racing stated. Speed tuned gears will make it go a bit quicker. A TL-01 is a great durable car but your not gonna be a flyin' fox to whatever you do to it.

About the steering, I would take the servo out of the car and make sure everything is moving properly considering you bought the car second hand. While the servo is out, make sure the two front wheels are moving freely as well. Also, make sure the servo is centered properly, considering you said you had to max it which you shouldnt. Make sure, when its out of the car that it moves both ways to a equal distance. If the problems are still there, maybe you need a new servo. I ran the Futaba S3003, which is the most basic and cheapest servo. About $11 at most LHS.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Old 12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ditch the kit pinion and pick up a good hardened 06 module pinion. Robinson has them, and Tamiya makes a 19 and 20 tooth. The kit pinion is way too soft and gets "shark toothed" really easily and ends up tearing up the counter gear. Other things to improve the TL-01 in addition to those others have listed:

Oil Filled Shocks
Ball Diffs
Assorted Springs
Lightweight drive shaft

I wouldn't run the Speed Tuned gear set with anything below a decent stock motor. The speed tuned gear set drops the final drive down lower, which is better for motors like silver and black can mabuchi's and some slower stock motors.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

already onto the bearings side of things, will strip the car once they arrive and attend to the steering side of things. probably replace it. what is a speed tuned gear set worth and is that front and back
CHeers for all your Help

Robbo

"LIVE TO DRIFT"
Old 12-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the sterring is easy to fix no part needed take the servo out of the car and also the servo saver and stearing arms. take off the servo saver and switch on all your radio gear now set the trim on the radio to the middle switch it off and screw the servo saver back on so that it is "centered" put the steering all back into the car and switch it on should be pretty close to centered then use ur trim to tune it to sit rite
Old 12-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

speed tuned gears are around US $5 they can be found cheaper but that is pretty good value
Old 12-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Tech Initiate

know of anywhere in SA i can get them or interstate store that will post??
Old 12-31-2004, 01:05 AM
Tech Master

I'd just try your LHS, if they don't have them in stock they will order the in for you at around $12 Aus
Old 12-31-2004, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
ditch the kit pinion and pick up a good hardened 06 module pinion. Robinson has them, and Tamiya makes a 19 and 20 tooth. The kit pinion is way too soft and gets "shark toothed" really easily and ends up tearing up the counter gear.
Same thing happened to me soo many times. I ended up buying soo many replacement gear sets. Dont forget that tamiya uses "metric" type pinion gears.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would look into the long arm kit. You get new a arms, hubs, turnbuckles and anti-roll bars. turns a TL-01 into a decent handling car.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

how much am i looking at for the long arm kit, also having trouble with it rolling once i take my finger off the gas so have bought a set of bearings, waiting on delivery, where is the best spot on the net for hop up options?? anyone selling something better than this and is it better to upgrade this or buy something better, just looking to have fun with my mates and drift hardcore without having to put electrical tape on my wheels!!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

I've got a fully hopped up one, speed tuned, full bearngs, lightweight chassis, I think it even has the toe in kit

it's my spare one, it has every hop up on it except it is still running the stock driveshaft.

If you're interested let me know, I've spent well over $500 on this car and would be willing to let it go without any electrics for around $150, although I am willing to negociate on price, I have esc and radio gear f you're interested

Last edited by ford_racing; 01-31-2005 at 08:39 PM.