R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my 415, ready to race (with shell) and 50g worth of weight on weighs in at 1501g (with the lightweight suspension). Not bad if you ask me.

I use a Sanwa ERG-WRX servo, an MRT VX-Pro speedo, NRG Dynamics GP3300's, and the Sanwa reciever that came with the Gemini2. Not the smallest (or lightest) equipment around it has to be said, but the car still come in underweight.

By my calculations that makes it ~1350g without shell and weight (maybe more, not sure on the shell weight).

However with the stock suspension this the ready to race weight went up to 1513g (i left the 50g of weight on, helped balance the corner weights)

HiH
Ed
Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Yeh, well with the 415MS, that has the same suspension components as the Evo IV so they are pretty similiar anyway. When we say that a chassis is consistent, we are talking about the ability to drive the car around the track at a consistent lap time, not consistency over a month. That's partly because the Evo IV is faster over 1 lap and can pull off a banzai lap (partly due to torque and rip from the shaft drives) but the belt drive 415s are more consistent.

A lot of people talk about the RX series Mazdas (RX-7, RX-8, etc) as being ultra smooth. That's due to the rotary system which I think is very similiar to Belt Driven cars. Shaft driven cars are a bit more on edge so can be faster in 1 lap but to do that consistently is another thing. That's the way I like to think of them at least.

I prefer shaft due to ease of building and I want the fastest thing I can get. Anything that I drive, I wanna have the ability of going as fast as I can, and I'll leave the consistency to my driving. That's how I look at it anyway.

Hope this hasn't made it all a blur!
no offense.... but I don't dare to say the shaft is faster by one lap over the belt. Japanese RC World magazine once compared between the two, and the driver was Satoshi, a TRF driver. The belt is more consistent in average lap times while the shaft sometimes hit faster lap times but also slower ones.

For me both of them are good, but the belt system is more durable if you crash a lot.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:06 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Btw, I heard that 415MS have suspension arms identical to TB Evo4 ( light weight ) and these arms have durability problem in exchange of being light and quick. I don't know...... for me I prefer the old 415 because it's strong car just like Xray T1.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
For me both of them are good, but the belt system is more durable if you crash a lot
actually my shaft car FW05R was alot more durable than my Belt car MTX3
TRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

lol traj but this is EP!

hmmm 415 std more durable in crashes than a evo 4 hey!!! lol i like that!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:15 AM   #36
Tech Master

ep, gp, ap, lp all the same!!
TRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 AM   #37
Tech Adept

My Evo4 with Shell, Novak GTX, Matrix V10R, KO713, GP3300 cells comes in at 1354g without weight...

Luckily you can use the lead to balance the car left to right... which is some way off on this car with GP3300 cells..

BTW I am not running the centre plate (J3?), preferring to run the 2 small uprights as it gives you more motor adjustment if you are running side by side batteries and makes replacing the spur gear very slightly easier...
Galifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:30 AM   #38
Tech Champion

No... it's different, they are not the same, basically gp cars are build stronger than ep cars, just take look at arms, pivot ball, the plastic parts, they are thicker and heavier.

If you ask me which ep cars are stronger out of the box:

xray t1 evo2 (strongest)
xray t1 fk
tamiya trf 415
tamiya tb evo4, hpi pro4
tamiya mini cooper
yokomo mr4tc sd cgm
yokomo mr4tc sd ssg (weakest)
Old 01-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to FlyinGT Send a message via Yahoo to FlyinGT

weight of the car depends on the type of tyres u are using !!

so if u run foams the car will b underweight by about 60 to 80 grams(including shell an electronics) (vary dependin on wat elec u run also)

if u run rubber car should almost be at 1500grams or alittle over !!
an if ur lucky slighty under

with foams my 415 was bout 65 grams under
with rubber it was bout 10 grams under !!
FlyinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:43 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Yeh, well the weight of my car is with EVERYTHING, ready to go for a race. I have Body, Clips, Batteries, Battery Holder, the lot!! 1502g. I also use rubber tyres which would bump up the weight as said.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 AM   #41
Tech Master

When weighting your car always do it ready for race, that should be 1500g+.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #42
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally posted by Galifrey
I didnt hit anything, after one heat all 4 rear hub bearings were virtually siezed solid and notchy, like they had been squeezed up too tight in the hub carrier...

Alluminium what? rear hubs? how does that save the bearings?

The problem is the bearings in the rear hub are very small and fragile to keep the un-sprung weight down (front as well) but the front still runs freely...

I would expect them to go notchy if I crashed, but I didnt.. Also I would expect the fronts to go first not the rears...

Gonna have to investigate a bit, maybe the cup locking rings are causing the shafts to bindup and stressing the bearing...

I talked with Steve at Speedtech and he said the rear plastic hubs get sloppy in a few runs and let the bearings move around and they the axles move some and beat the bearings up. He said the aluminum hubs help to stop this extra movement so the bearings are not as likely to be damaged. Problem to is that the 950 bearings are kinda small and have alot of load on them. Bigger bearings would solve this problem if Tamiya had aluminum hubs that used bigger bearings. Maybe I could fit in some of the TB-02 alum rear hubs as I think they use a little bit bigger bearing in those.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:18 AM   #43
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Yeh, sounds a bit crazy. I have never had a single issue with my rear bearings, and I have taken hits!! Hope you sort the problem out Galifrey.
Well I took a big smack this week into the wall and somehow nothing broke. I did crack my Jaco rim though in 2 places so it was a good shot. It didn't feel good to hit that hard. It hurt!!!!!!

Since I put in the flourine coated ball studs I have not broken a stud since. I think the weakest part on the car is those rear hubs. I took 3 big head on smacks from guys being wrecked in front of my and no time to avoid them and no stripped gears of broken drive cups. The hits would probably been enough to strip gears if it was the EVO III.

The EVO IV is a great improvment over their last shaft car. Not sure about the 415 being more consistant that the EVO but it could be. This week my car was running consistant laps and with no traffic I would run within a 1/10th of a second a lap each time. I could run 3 to 5 laps in a row with the exact time so I would say right now my car is pretty consistant overall and getting better every week.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

The consistency issues I think is just to make 415 owners feel better!! I have had no issues with consistency. In my first effort in Modified with a seriously tweaked car, I still got the fastest lap of the race, fastest overall time for the night + a consistency of 0.34. Not too bad since I've only just started racing TC racing a few months ago, and this was my first time in Modified (Only used a 10x1 V2 but still).

I have said to some friends of mine about the car, is that I love that the car is so consistent. Reports with people overseas seem to be that it is inconsistent, but I haven't gotten that. At the same time, I've never used a 415 so I could be surprised again by the consistency of that.

Who knows. Either way, both cars are awesome!! Just buy one!

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #45
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Galifrey
My Evo4 with Shell, Novak GTX, Matrix V10R, KO713, GP3300 cells comes in at 1354g without weight...
If that is treu, than I will be santa Klaus.. The evo4 was in weight the same as the stock 415, The 415MS is much lichter. I Own a 415 that is 1470 gram in race trim for indoor races (with st supsension, subaru b4 body, without titanium parts).
My 415MS with LW suspension and titaniun parts (screws and wheel axles) weights 1410 g in race trim, without any balance weight on it. If I using my small hitech servo (30 gram), than it will be 1390 g.

I think you read 1454 gram instead of 1354 or forgot to instal the motor.

Michel
michel is offline   Reply With Quote