R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Best NiMH Battery?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what a good NiMH battery pack for my Sprint 2 Drift is. I am currently using the stock battery that came with it. It takes FOREVER to charge, just to use it for 15 minutes. I'm not interested in Lipos, because I don't want to deal with discharging, balancing, and stuff. I am looking for the biggest mAh, but a flat pack. I don't want a hump pack, because it won't fit in my sprint. I also want a quick charger. I found a Venom 7.2v 5000mAh pack. Is this any good? What are some good brands?

Thanks
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Sanyo SCR, with matched numbers. Avoid the SCE. Wait, we're talking Nimh here, so....

Venom pack should work ok... but don't fear the lipo. Cheap balance chargers can be found.

Last edited by nf_ekt; 01-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Sanyo SCR, with matched numbers. Avoid the SCE. Wait, we're talking Nimh here, so....

Venom pack should work ok... but don't fear the lipo. Cheap balance chargers can be found.
Agreed. Lipos are way easier to maintain than Nimh's. A high quality Lipo pack, will only require sporadic balancing at best. Nimh's require an equalization tray, complete discharge after every run, etc. Way too much work in today's lipo friendly environment. Plus, a 6000 mah Lipo is pretty cheap compared to decent nimh's........
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Agreed. Lipos are way easier to maintain than Nimh's. A high quality Lipo pack, will only require sporadic balancing at best. Nimh's require an equalization tray, complete discharge after every run, etc. Way too much work in today's lipo friendly environment. Plus, a 6000 mah Lipo is pretty cheap compared to decent nimh's........
Plus it will push that Sprint around way longer than 15 minutes.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Can my stock sprint handle lipos?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falken View Post
YES

Charge your lipo on the proper mode. And NEVER run the battery down all the way. When not using the pack, store with some charge in it. If your using the pack for drifting, the charge will last 30 to 40 minutes. And if you do what I told you, your pack will last years. Balancing isn't really needed.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
I just bought a chassis from a drift racer. It came with a lipo charger and a battery. I can sell it to you for cheap if interested I will find out the brand, can't remember at the moment.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Everything these guys are saying is correct. When I got back into racing a while back I had come from the NiCad/Nimh era and was trying to avoid the whole lipo thing. Truth be told, it's a lot easier. I balance charge/discharge every so often but it's not a do-or-die thing. Once you get the charger set up (easy to do, especially with something like a triton jr. for instance) it's as easy as could be. I do not miss the days of false peaks, discharge trays / conditioning devices / performing a specialized ritual in order to keep them going.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Ok, so you guys convinced me to go lipo. What is a good battery and charger to start out with? (at a affordable cost)
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Lipos have a lot of scare mongers out there, if it bothers you go Lifepo4, lower voltage but the packs are solid as a rock, I have one in my son's car, he's 2, so the battery gets taken out, flung, thrown etc, no LVC etc no problem and he's impatient when it goes flat so I charge it at 10 amps and it's all fine.

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Tech Master

*chuckle* as much as I hate cheap chinese knock-offs....genuine chinese stuff is OK.

iMax B6AC is my pic. I have 2 B6 chargers that I bought for $25 a piece and they have been great for charging cheap batteries. (The B6 needs an external power supply, which I already had...the B6AC is a few bucks more, but it has the power supply built in)

If you look at the B6AC, and then look at a lot of the other chargers around the same price, you will see that lots of them look exactly the same. The iMax chargers are the originals, and many of the other branded ones are bought by whoever and re-stickered with their own brands and logos. Same board inside.

As for batteries, I'm beyond impressed with the performance of Haiyin batteries (www.haiyinstore.com), especially for the price. Again, these guys actually manufacture the cells that many other companies buy and then assemble and re-brand. The catch is that their hard-case is a little bigger than ROAR spec, and will not fit in many cars...not sure about the car you mentioned.

Sponsors - My Kids, My Wife, and My Wallet!
BlueGlowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Lipos have a lot of scare mongers out there, if it bothers you go Lifepo4, lower voltage but the packs are solid as a rock, I have one in my son's car, he's 2, so the battery gets taken out, flung, thrown etc, no LVC etc no problem and he's impatient when it goes flat so I charge it at 10 amps and it's all fine.
100% agree. I was afraid to get into Lipo as well, but my Dynamite, Reedy, Turnigy, and Haiyin batteries have (almost) all been fantastic. The one failure I have was from my Reedy (most expensive of them all) and I don't think it was the batteries fault....it looks like a bad crash ended up bending the jack where the bullet connector goes into....the connector gets uncomfortably warm when it's used (when I realized this, I stopped using the pack) but still no flames.

Only Lipo fire I have seen was after a pack puffed (guy had left it with a full charge for about 2 months, then tried to over-charge it). The overcharging did not cause the fire, but after the pack puffed, he was going to throw it in the garbage. Rather than let it go into the garbage with a full charge, where it could possibly short out, one of the guys at the track took it out back and hit it with a 2x4 that had a nail sticking out. Even with that abuse, it barely flamed up at all. Certainly not something I'd want happening on my pit bench, but unless it was near some curtains or something else very flammable, I don't think you'd burn your house down.

For the record, I saw a Turnigy LiFePo pack fail. No flames, but lots of smoke, and the pack almost doubled in size. Not sure what the guy did...he had been running the pack all season long in a 2wd losi SC truck....I was running neck and neck with him all race, and then all of a sudden down the main straight, it was like he ran outta gas!

Lipos are like handguns....only dangerous when mis-used.

Sponsors - My Kids, My Wife, and My Wallet!
BlueGlowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Is venom a good lipo battery/charger brand?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Is venom a good lipo battery/charger brand?
As BlueGlowBoy said above, there are a ton of chargers that are basically this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5548
but with slightly different cases. The venom pro charger is pretty much just a green one of these, but has crappier buttons and a more ancient looking green lcd panel.

If you are on a budget for batteries, I've heard a ton of people swear by "gens ace" http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensacelipo.html or Turnigy nano tech batteries which are sold at hobbyking, the site I linked for the charger(could get both the charger and battery from the same site to save on shipping)

Disclaimer: I don't personally use any of these items. I've just heard them recommended many times by others. I use ReVtech batteries and a protek iCharger 208b
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Ok, so you guys convinced me to go lipo. What is a good battery and charger to start out with? (at a affordable cost)
I have a 5000 turnigy battery and a like new charger for $100.00 plus shipping