R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default What receiver to use with new black 3PK's synth module?

I have the current platinum colored Magnum 3PK 75Mhz / R203HF HRS receiver that requires changing crystals to change channels. I am planning to get the Spektrum when it comes out.

Futaba has finally come out with their #PK-FSM75 synth module for the 3PK (weird timing given the imminent release of the Spektrum): http://tinyurl.com/5clj8

How are you supposed to fit a screwdriver in those tiny holes to change channels?!

Now there's a new "Titanium Black Synthesized Magnum" 3PK: http://tinyurl.com/68cdq

According to that web page, Tower is selling the transmitter and synth module (with no receiver or servo) for $380!.

When you read on to see what you're expected to use for a receiver, they link to the same R203HF HRS receiver I currently use which, of course, is not synthesized. There must be a corresponding synthesized receiver to match the new module made by Futaba. Right? Tower must have just copied the text from the page for the "regular" 3PK. Right?

Just out of curiosity, (since I plan on leapfrogging over Futaba's belated synth module system and getting the Spektrum) would the new synth module work with the platinum 3PK anyway?

Will the Spektrum work with both the platinum and black 3PKs?

Are there any features on the new black 3PK that would make it worth updating from my platinum one?

Thanks,

Bill
billwilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Default Surprising answer from Tower Re: 3PK synth module: what receiver to use?

Me to Tower:

The info on your page about the new "black" 3PK #FUTJ2901 including the #PK-FSM75 synth module was apparently recycled from the existing text about the old "platinum" 3PK #LXCML675. My guess is that the text about the #FUTJ2901 must be incorrect where it implies that the synth module is compatible with the R203HF Receiver HRS 75MHz, #FUTL0344. The #FUTL0344 receiver is crystal-based, not a synth unit, so it can't be compatible with the #PK-FSM75 synth module. What synth receiver does Futaba intend be used with the #PK-FSM75 synth module?

Tower:

The synthesized module is compatible with the R203HF receiver. Our information is correct, the radio has a module that does not use crystals, but when you switch channels the receiver crystal needs to be changed.

Me:

That doesn't make sense at all. The whole point of going synth is so that you don't have to change crystals at all. I'd contact Futaba to confirm that.

Tower:

We have confirmed this with Futaba, the receiver in that combination still uses crystals. If you would like to check, look at Futaba's lineup, there is no fully synthesized receiver right now for car use.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not use the Novak XXtra reciever? I've used the XXtra & the Hitec Spectra module for years in my 3PJ with no problems.
Rick Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Default Re: Surprising answer from Tower Re: 3PK synth module: what receiver to use?

Quote:
Originally posted by billwilner
Me to Tower:

The info on your page about the new "black" 3PK #FUTJ2901 including the #PK-FSM75 synth module was apparently recycled from the existing text about the old "platinum" 3PK #LXCML675. My guess is that the text about the #FUTJ2901 must be incorrect where it implies that the synth module is compatible with the R203HF Receiver HRS 75MHz, #FUTL0344. The #FUTL0344 receiver is crystal-based, not a synth unit, so it can't be compatible with the #PK-FSM75 synth module. What synth receiver does Futaba intend be used with the #PK-FSM75 synth module?

Tower:

The synthesized module is compatible with the R203HF receiver. Our information is correct, the radio has a module that does not use crystals, but when you switch channels the receiver crystal needs to be changed.

Me:

That doesn't make sense at all. The whole point of going synth is so that you don't have to change crystals at all. I'd contact Futaba to confirm that.

Tower:

We have confirmed this with Futaba, the receiver in that combination still uses crystals. If you would like to check, look at Futaba's lineup, there is no fully synthesized receiver right now for car use.
I thought the purpose was that its illegal to change TX crystals is the US but not RX crystals...

Is that not the case in car TX's?

Galifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Tech Regular

For those here wondering, yes you can use synthesized radio equipment with standard crystal base equipment (assuming same frequency of course). Normally you change channels by changing the crystals in your transmitter and receiver. Sythesized equipment just replaces the crystals with a dial/menu option to change the channel, eliminating the need to change physical crystals. I've used sythesized transmitters with standard crystal receivers before, as have my buddies. So Tower and Futaba are correct when saying that receiver works with that radio. Hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default To crystal or not to crystal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan Valdez
So Tower and Futaba are correct when saying that receiver works with that radio. Hope this helps!
That's understood.

I'm getting a Spektrum as soon as they come out, so this is all academic for me.

The point of my posts was that it simply doesn't make sense that Futaba isn't offering a totally crystal-free setup.

According to Tower (and Futaba) if you're going to stick with all-Futaba equipment, they expect you to use the new synth module but still have to own a supply of 30 crystals at $12.99 each ($390!) for the receiver to be able to function on ch. 61-90. Of course you could get a Novak synth receiver and not take advantage of the HRS technology (if you care about that).

But my point is, Futaba doesn't acknowledge the synth receiver as an option. They really intend for people to shell out $400 for those 30 receiver crystals!

It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Bill
Old 01-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Almost as dumb as buying 30 sets of crystals. You only need 2 to 3 sets for most racing.
Rick Worth is offline   Reply With Quote