R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dracy69 Send a message via Yahoo to dracy69
Default getting into electric

Im going to start racing electric touring next winter and i have some questions. Do you need to break in a stock motor (im getting the p2k2) if so how do you do it. Also, would i need a battery discharger/cycler built into the charger i get or will a tray discharge it. For using a tray, do i need to take apart the pack before i put it on the tray or do i have to take the bars off. Thanks for any help.
dracy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes....LOL

Yes you should break in a stock motor for racing.

No you don't need a special charger with motor run, just use a 2-4 cell pack for 30 seconds, or hook it up in your car without the pinion on and hold it 1/4 throttle for 30 seconds.

No, you don't need a dyscharger/cycler built into your charger, a discharging unit can be bought seperately, however it is usually a little cheaper and less bulky to buy one that has it built in already.

No, you don't have to tear your packs apart to use a discharge tray, just make sure the pack can fit in the tray.

From your sig I figure you already run/race nitro, so buying a good charger will can also be used for those purposes.... making it a better deal for you.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to 92tsi
Default hey

i just bought a yokomo mr4tc for 122.00 shppied i hope it good, im putting a novak gt7, monetr stock motor, and i stil gotta get a good remote, fm of course. its gonna be sweet
92tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to T-Money86mcss

It is not necessary to break in stock motors. You may want to, but it isn't necessary. If you plan on being competitive and changing brushes/rebuilding weekly, you dont have to break in. If you plan on running a motor more than one week without maintenance, breaking in usually helps the brushes stay in better shape over a longer period of time.

For just getting into electric i would say dont worry about discharging your packs at all. I say that for 2 reasons. 1 it will help you learn the fundamentals (driving style, setup) without worrying about stuff you dont need to worry about yet (blistering speed). 2 it isnt bad for the NiMH batteries to leave them half charged (about 1 run after a full charge would be half), let them cool, then charge again. However discharging, deadshorting, and charging at high amps can give you a slight punch advantage in your packs. I would wait awhile after youve been racing electric for awhile to get into doing this.
T-Money86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
Tech Elite

can i run jaco 28mm's on a pro4? pt will i have to use like hpi 26mm's. Also how are the powerline foams? those seem to be only 17 bucks a pair and are 26 mm, i just dont understand the compounds (35 shore, 37 sshore etc) any help is appreciated
Old 12-31-2004, 11:02 PM   #6
Tech Elite

and impact just out of curiosity how can the charger help me with nitro? im not sure on putting some of those cheap radioshack battery packs on the charger (for the starting system).