Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
4WD M-chassis Cars. Do they have a place? >

4WD M-chassis Cars. Do they have a place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4WD M-chassis Cars. Do they have a place?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 4WD M-chassis Cars. Do they have a place?

So, 4WD Minis, do they have a future? Did they even have a past?

Look at the history of them. There have been an awful lot come, and then quickly disappear again. Even over the last 2-3 years.
Look at the roll call
Fujin 211 GO
Atomic VMII
Active A210

All made a big impact initially, but try and actually buy one now..... Very, very hard to find and the spares backup would make you think twice about doing so anyway. Maybe it's different in Asia? Although you'd think the HK shops would still be stocking them if they were popular.

The only long-termer has been ABC's Genetic which is still actively promoted and easy to get bits for. And apparently due for a 2012 upgrade too.

Tamiyas M-Four doesn't count, it's just weird on every level.

The Xpress Mini is still around, but dreadfully unpopular (I've never seen one even)

You have to ask yourself why the manufacturers put in so much effort initially, and then seem to lose interest?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Whats happend to the TA05 mini conversion kit ?? A good option ??
Active A210 : this is still going(sort of) as the plastic Ofna

They still race 4WD mini, in US & Asia, so keep em rolling out.

Given the outrageous prices when those mentioned 1st got released... buy at your peril
Perhaps thats the problem. too expensive ??

Theres allways the DIY option

Last edited by 1101; 01-14-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Its dead over here but I still want one for messing around with at our indoor carpet track. Emailed EGR Mart asking to order 3 of the Atomic VM2's for myself and some guys, but had no response. May wait for the new ABC 2012 car if I see nothing from Atomic soon.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think one possible reason is that mini's are fun and attractive for racers because of their scale realism and somewhat imperfect handling characteristics. If they were designed like 12th scale pan cars or 4wd touring cars, these mini's would handle on rails and somehow take the fun out of it.

FWD and RWD plastic monocoque mini's do not handle perfectly which sorta makes racing more fun and exciting. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Mini 4wd should be have been positioned for those that want try 4wd, run realistic bodies and cheap enough to tryout. Something different than running mini fwd/rwd (Tamiyas). The way they are priced, most will just move up to 1/10 scale TC. This is exactly what happened to 1/10 nitro 235 onroad (Serpent Impact class). It died because for the price everyone just moved to 1/8 scale.
ABC is around because they were/are heavily promoted at least in the US (SoCal) and the aggressive price discounts. Think about the TOP mini Sabre. No promo and the MSRP of $300. If the m0x Tamiyas are this price and no Australian mini nationals/TCS/TAC/WCICS/TITC pushing the cars how many people would really own one?
Yes I know the rc-mini crew will still buy them all.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Are you competing with them to buy them all too? Except for the TOP mini.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Its dead over here but I still want one for messing around with at our indoor carpet track. Emailed EGR Mart asking to order 3 of the Atomic VM2's for myself and some guys, but had no response. May wait for the new ABC 2012 car if I see nothing from Atomic soon.
I think the "new" ABC for 2012 is the 225mm wheelbase Gambado/Grid. Still hope for a belt drive Genetic but then it'll be the Atlas Beat.....which Tony Gray bought all of them.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Are you competing with them to buy them all too? Except for the TOP mini.
I'll never be able to compete with the rc-mini guys. They seem to have deep pockets and sources that aren't available to me. Actually I have a TOP mini Sabre on hold waiting for the LHS to pick it up from the distributor. So do you.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Still hope for a belt drive Genetic but then it'll be the Atlas Beat.....which Tony Gray bought all of them.
Lies, lies, lies!

I only bought the 8 that rcmart had on special....
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They have a class in the drifting community.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Not exactly the mini class you had in mind, but the Traxxas Rally/Truck/Camaro's seem to be popular
Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I haven't received any email by Dan. However, updated VM-II will come out very soon. It's worth the wait and I"ll keep you updated. May I ask where you are located?

Mini 4WD is not dead; it may just be un-popular or unheard of in some places.

For inquiry about Atomic VM-II or other product questions; please email us_support "at" rcatomic.com

Originally Posted by Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

How soon? What kind of updates will we see?

I sent the email a couple of weeks ago to EGR Mart. Asked when VM2's will be back in stock and would like to purchase 3 kits. Hopefully you guys will keep the price similar to the current listed price right now.