Wiki Posts
Search

What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default What should I get?

I am looking for something to drive around on the street with my son. We are not going to do any racing. He just likes the touring car look (from Gran Turismo). I think 1/8 is a bit big, but better for streets. Any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

get a couple of tamiya tt01's and build them with your son, great male bonding time. parts are cheap, they are 4wd and pretty tough.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

I was looking at those. Do those have enough clearance to run on streets? How is the Ofna JL-10 GT?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I run a TC4 with my wife and the TT01 should give you the same adjustment (raise it up some for rougher pavement).

Another one that would be great IMHO would be the HPI Cup racer.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaiser
get a couple of tamiya tt01's and build them with your son, great male bonding time. parts are cheap, they are 4wd and pretty tough.
2ND That !! The Tamiya's are great cars. You'd be looking for the XBS RTR(Ready To Run) cars. Wide variety of different body choices available.
Ride height can be adjusted using shims(which are provided) on the shocks. Wide variety of hop up parts available if you decide to race or just make it a bit stronger.

JL10 is ok but some critical parts are very soft and weak. Had a club member that bought one and promptly got rid of it after breaking front suspension hubs numerous times. Parts availability was a bit difficult also.

Hope that helps. Good luck and HAVE FUN !
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'd skip the cup racer, fragile, overcomplicated, fragile and even more fragile.

one shot to the curb and the arms will fall off, not too mention it's really low to the ground. did i mention it's fragile? lol
oh yeah, hpi just discontinued the cup racer too.

i can't comment on the ofna, never seen one up close.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like Tamiya TT-01 is the kit to get. I have not built a Tamiya car since the early 90's. I had the Grass Hopper, Blackfoot, Clod and couple of on road cars. They were fun to build and were very nice kits. Couple of questions on the TT-01. I think all of the TT-01 come with slicks unless I get the chassis kit, the TT-01R. Is it worth to get the TT-01R chassis kit with all the upgrades http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYHY2&P=0 and get the body separate? If I get the body separate, the Tamiya bodies come with all the stickers, right?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by neospirit
Is it worth to get the TT-01R chassis kit with all the upgrades
TT01R : silk purse from a sows ear ??

Heres the thing.
TT01 is a really tough car, good for car parks & bashing on the street .
Apart from that, they are a completely obsolete design in every aspect.

So dont WASTE you $ on upgrades or the "R" version. You can easily spend 3x what the car is worth just on upgrades.

the only TT01 upgrades you need are:
bearings, metal centreshaft. Thats it. Anything else is unnecessary bling. You are better to get a better car like a TB03 than waste $$ upgrading a TT01.
Im only saying this as alot of young guys spend over $500 on TT01 upgrades, and are still left with a obselete $100 car.

In fact, why not get a Tamiya TB03. Its a far superior car in every way. Think of it as the TT01's modern replacement.
Ive owned TT01's & TB03's. There really is no comparison, the TB03 is so much better.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWCP0&P=7
You'll still need radio gear, batts, charger etc.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm not looking to race with this car. It's going to be a bash car for me and my son to drive on the street. With that said, is belt drive good for street or should I really should stick with shaft drive?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Belt drive or shaft drive is fine. really depends on WHICH car you're talking about. Some designs ,shaft or belt, are more prone to problems than others.
1101 is right in some respect. ANY basic chassis designed more as an entry level racer is most likely NOT worth putting much money into. Keep your focus on what you intend to do with the car. Additions to it should first be toward making it stronger and more reliable (like bearings). Then, decide if you want a little more adjustability in order to learn more about chassis setup. If you don't then nothing more is needed.
On the TT01...bearings, alloy drive shaft and possibly the alloy motor mount would be all the basics really needed. One step more would be the adjustable turnbuckles for suspension.
Keep it simple and have fun.