R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
wingman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tewkesbury, UK via Plymouth, UK.
Posts: 1,259
Default Thinking 'outside' of the 12th car box...

Hi guys, here's a few pics of a really nicely designed and made 12th circuit car by a guy here in the UK. I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has any pics of 'unusual' 12th designs and speak of the merits, or pitfalls of the design.



I have had a good look at this car whilst up at Ardent raceway, and it works really well. Hopefully Paul (the car designer) might pitch up on here and tell us how it works!

Cheers.
__________________
Sponsored by CML Distribution - http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Looks cool, how well does it get around the track ?

pics of 'unusual' 12th designs Here.
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,705
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Certainly different, the only problem I can see with it is its probably quite hard to get down to minimum weight.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,299
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Certainly different, the only problem I can see with it is its probably quite hard to get down to minimum weight.
Why is everyone so obsessed with minimum weight? Try using weight to fine tune your car I bet you'll be suprised with the results. 15-20 grams isn't going to slow you down (it will probably make you faster if used corectly
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Hi guys, here's a few pics of a really nicely designed and made 12th circuit car by a guy here in the UK. I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has any pics of 'unusual' 12th designs and speak of the merits, or pitfalls of the design.



I have had a good look at this car whilst up at Ardent raceway, and it works really well. Hopefully Paul (the car designer) might pitch up on here and tell us how it works!

Cheers.
I think your idea is great. I love new designs and innovations in 12th scale

12th has the most heart IMHO and to see it still exist is an miracle in itself given the TC phenomenon and also given the onroad scene is here an there at times
__________________
12th scale - The Jedi class...
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,705
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with minimum weight? Try using weight to fine tune your car I bet you'll be suprised with the results. 15-20 grams isn't going to slow you down (it will probably make you faster if used corectly
The obsession with weight is justified in that weight is the ultimate killer of acceleration and nimble handling is weight, especially in spec motor classes. Adding weight shouldn't be necessary for good handling, if you have to add weight beyond the minimum you are probably trying to remedy weight distribution problems.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,299
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The obsession with weight is justified in that weight is the ultimate killer of acceleration and nimble handling is weight, especially in spec motor classes. Adding weight shouldn't be necessary for good handling, if you have to add weight beyond the minimum you are probably trying to remedy weight distribution problems.
I understand your point but people put to much emphasis on being at minimum weight. I ran the rev6 1/12 for a while wich was heavier than most other cars and was just as fast as any car that was at minimum weight. I'm just saying being at minimum weight isn't as inportant as some like to think if the car is efficient.
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,705
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
I understand your point but people put to much emphasis on being at minimum weight. I ran the rev6 1/12 for a while wich was heavier than most other cars and was just as fast as any car that was at minimum weight. I'm just saying being at minimum weight isn't as inportant as some like to think if the car is efficient.
I remember hearing from some of the old guys at my track that back in the days of NiCd and NiHM, you didn't run one gram over minimum weight. The reason was that just a few grams extra might mean making it down the straight to the finish before the battery dumped or coming to a halt in the final corner
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,189
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I remember hearing from some of the old guys at my track that back in the days of NiCd and NiHM, you didn't run one gram over minimum weight. The reason was that just a few grams extra might mean making it down the straight to the finish before the battery dumped or coming to a halt in the final corner
One of my last races in 86 I remember making the last turn before the finish line and the car just kept turning in circles. Had to run down and push the car (Delta triple shock) across the finish line for my first place plaque. Good times.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,705
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
One of my last races in 86 I remember making the last turn before the finish line and the car just kept turning in circles. Had to run down and push the car (Delta triple shock) across the finish line for my first place plaque. Good times.
That's actually a quite common theme in old stories, car going in spirals at the last corner. I can't quite relate, in 1986 I was negative-two years old, I've never actually lost a race on the basis of dumping a pack that was fully charged before the buzzer went off.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,189
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
That's actually a quite common theme in old stories, car going in spirals at the last corner. I can't quite relate, in 1986 I was negative-two years old, I've never actually lost a race on the basis of dumping a pack that was fully charged before the buzzer went off.
In old stories! Try not to make me feel old please Yes I know it was a common theme in those days. It was just begining!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
That's actually a quite common theme in old stories, car going in spirals at the last corner. I can't quite relate, in 1986 I was negative-two years old, I've never actually lost a race on the basis of dumping a pack that was fully charged before the buzzer went off.
I have just this year. You can still dump a lipo, even in 13.5 boosted
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,705
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I have just this year. You can still dump a lipo, even in 13.5 boosted
I think the most I ever took out of a battery in 13.5 boosted was 3700mah, and that was on a tight, technical track with lots of accelerating. I don't think I could get it to dump in eight minutes without frying the motor. If I did that, going in little circles at the last corner would be the least of my problems.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,705
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
In old stories! Try not to make me feel old please Yes I know it was a common theme in those days. It was just begining!
Don't feel old, I'm the youngest 1/12 racer at my track by a good margin.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
That's actually a quite common theme in old stories, car going in spirals at the last corner. I can't quite relate, in 1986 I was negative-two years old, I've never actually lost a race on the basis of dumping a pack that was fully charged before the buzzer went off.
Imagine trying to race with the batteries we were using back then. Try running an 8 minute race with only 1400mah batteries, then you need every last ounce of power and motor choice, gear ratio and driving style were all based on reaching the end before dumping, even to the extent of having your car placed on the starting grid in finals so you never had to touch the throttle until the race started.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 21232 Today 08:25 AM
The future of 1/12 scale Roland S Electric On-Road 1004 06-16-2017 02:04 PM
Kyosho Gas powered 1/12th pan car ianhobbies Nitro On-Road 1083 02-24-2017 09:46 AM
Pro10 Class JimmyMac Electric On-Road 1085 08-07-2008 09:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:50 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net